To Increase or Decrease?

Options
So I am eating about 1,500 calories per day and lately I have been noticing my weight is increasing and sticks! I was just wondering should I increase my calories or decrease my calories?

My Stats:
Cw - 170.4lbs
Gw - 130lbs
Height - 5'5"
Age - 18

Replies

• angelicazaldivar
    angelicazaldivar Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    how often r u working out? i have a bodymedia that tells me how many cals i burn each day, so i know what to consume, but before i got it, i used the calorie calculator on freedieting.com -- use the harris benedict method. VERY accurate! i would normally eat any where in the range of 'extreme fat loss' and 'fat loss' :) hope that helps! also, take a look at the calorie zig zag underneath the calculator, its really good to zig zag calories, so ur body doesnt get too used to processing the same amount all the time :)

Angelica
  • Michelle650
    Michelle650 Posts: 218
    Options
    I currently only get to workout 2-3 times a week ad I am studying for my final exams! But I have a HRM so the burn is quite accurate and I eat my calls back!
  • Pangui
    Pangui Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I think we need more information. What is the time period of this so-called "stick"? Are you exercising? Do you think you could possibly be underestimating your caloric intake? Do you drink plenty of water and avoid excess salt?

My guess is that it's time to move more and lower your calorie goal, but without the answers to the above questions, it's hard to say.
  • Michelle650
    Options
    I was actually thinking of zig zagging my calories!
  • toasterlisa
    toasterlisa Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I am 5'6" and MFP set my calories at 1,200 per day. "MY" goal is just 3.5 lbs away at 145.

My doctor, who made me sign up for MFP while I was in his office, would like me to be eating between 800-900 calories a day. He wants me at 135, right in the middle of the healthy BMI range.

I guess you just have to figure out what your actual calorie deficit is ... Total Calories Consumed minus Total Calories Burned.

Or, maybe you should have a conversation with your doctor. I can imagine you will get a whole bunch of differing opinions from members. You might want to take the best advice from the people who are losing or have lost weight :-)

Best wishes on your health and wellness journey!
  • angelicazaldivar
    Options
    yeah, doing this has helped me ALOT. i will notice that my weight drops rapidly after i eat a high calorie day (i usually have a 'free day' once every other week or so, then it will level out till the next time i do it. my low days are about 1700, my regular is 1800-1900 and my high days are whatever they are! lol. I am 5'4" , 25 yrs old and weigh 198.8 right now -- started at 217.8 right after christmas. I am currently doing TurboFire, but have done INSANITY, P90X, and weight training as well. (i'd really like to get back to the gym, but i homeschool my 3 kids, and they have hit a brick wall in english. lol)
  • Michelle650
    Options
    yeah, doing this has helped me ALOT. i will notice that my weight drops rapidly after i eat a high calorie day (i usually have a 'free day' once every other week or so, then it will level out till the next time i do it. my low days are about 1700, my regular is 1800-1900 and my high days are whatever they are! lol. I am 5'4" , 25 yrs old and weigh 198.8 right now -- started at 217.8 right after christmas. I am currently doing TurboFire, but have done INSANITY, P90X, and weight training as well. (i'd really like to get back to the gym, but i homeschool my 3 kids, and they have hit a brick wall in english. lol)

Is the calories you consume on a daily basis including your exercise calories? Do you eat them back?
  • roro73
    roro73 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Definitely increase. I use the bodymedia fit too but just did the comparison on http://www.freedieting.com/tools/calorie_calculator and it is really accurate. For the info you listed you should be eating approximately 1700 calories a day. I'd give it a shot and check your results after a week or two. Good luck :)
  • angelicazaldivar
    Options
    toasterlisa -- i in NO way want to negatively critisize ur efforts, so please forgive me if i come across in any other way that helpful :) my dr wanted me to eat 1200 a day, and exercise as well, but not eat exercise cals back. i did so for a while, but found that i would binge and get discouraged VERY easily because i was depriving myself of having any type of food i liked. I started INSANITY (a SUPER intense cardio program) last spring, and that is when i started learning about proper calorie intake. I have since befriended a few nutritionists, and many others who have/are on the same weight loss journey as i. When i upped my calories to 1800, at first i was REALLY nervous, because i have NEVER been taught that eating more could help me MORe than eating less! It took some adjusting, but since doing that, i have lost at about 1.5/2 lbs per week on average, consistently. even if i dont exercise at all for a few weeks, i eat about 1700 a day at the lowest. I have several friends as well who had been eating 1200 or less a day, and they werent losing that fast, or at all. when they finally agreed to up there calories -- for a few WEEKS (initially u might gain a few lbs, because of ur body adjusting, dont get discouraged) they lost A LOT more than when they ate LESS! :D please know that doctors, however well-intended there advice is, they are in NO WAY certified on proper nutrition. PLEASE eat more, ur body will indeed thank u! :D If u want, (hopefully ive not offended u in any way), feel free to friend me! I share my diary daily, so u can always take a peek. I am also in an EXTREMELY motivational group of WOMEN on facebook, i'd love to add any of u gals to it -- just let me know!
  • Michelle650
    Options
    Well the reason I don't want to lower my calories is because it has been said that you shouldn't eat below your bmr and mine is 1545 calories and my calorie goal is 1550!
  • angelicazaldivar
    Options
    Is the calories you consume on a daily basis including your exercise calories? Do you eat them back?
    [/quote]

This is TOTAL -- i dont go by MFPs calorie intake calculations, i use the freedieting.com ones. So i personally set my 'goal' on maintaining on MFP, and then just eat 1800-1900 (not net) back. does that make sense? sorry if its confusing. lol
  • Michelle650
    Options

[/quote]
    This is TOTAL -- i dont go by MFPs calorie intake calculations, i use the freedieting.com ones. So i personally set my 'goal' on maintaining on MFP, and then just eat 1800-1900 (not net) back. does that make sense? sorry if its confusing. lol
    [/quote]

1,500 is excluding exercise. When I exercise I eat them back as I have a HRM so it's accurate! I'm a little confused by your comment!
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    How active are you throughout the day, excluding exercise/workouts? You need to take into account the energy you burn in an average day also.
  • HoosierMomma1
    HoosierMomma1 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Yes-what she said! I met with a nutritionist today and I got the same advice. I'm increasing from 1400 to 1800. (I was at 1200)
  • silkysly
    silkysly Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    Increase your fitness. Life is a math problem…., so is your body.
  • Michelle650
    Options
    On an average day I wouldn't be hugely active, but in saying that I would do a little walking. I am in school, so ever 40 I will be going to different parts of the school. I wore my HRM from 8am to 10pm on a typical non workout day and it told me I burned 2400 calories, would you count that as a sedentary, lightly active lifestyle?
  • angelicazaldivar
    Options
    ok. sorry. :) according to freedieting.com, if u are not exercising AT ALL, u should eat about 1500/ day. If u exercise 3x per week, u should eat 1700 per day (yes, EVERY day). if u exercise 5x per week its 1800 per day. That is INCLUDING exercise calories. so every bite u take, should total the above amounts at the end of the day. just ignore the NET calories for now, and focus on calories consumed -- THAT is the number that you are lookin at.
  • Michelle650
    Options
    O I understand now! Do you find it has been successful for you so far?
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    On an average day I wouldn't be hugely active, but in saying that I would do a little walking. I am in school, so ever 40 I will be going to different parts of the school. I wore my HRM from 8am to 10pm on a typical non workout day and it told me I burned 2400 calories, would you count that as a sedentary, lightly active lifestyle?

I ran your stats, using some assumption re hours walking etc and I get the same number - about 2400. So, if you log your workouts into MFP then you should set your calories goal, assuming 1lb per week, at 1900. (2400 - 500 = 1900). A 500 calorie deficit each day = 1lb per week). You should eat most if not all of your exercise calories back. When you log your exercise, MFP adjusts your calorie goal - thats what you should aim for.

I know this seems really high, but at 1500 you really are not eating enough - you do not have too much to lose and so 1lb a week is a reasonable target (you should drop to 1/2 lb a week the nearer you get).
  • angelicazaldivar
    Options
    definitely! and i know about 200 other women it is working for too! as i said in another post, i am a part of a group on facebook for women. VERY encouraging. one thing we are ALL big on is eating ENOUGH! :D