Strength Training: Basics

Options
After reading some posts and seeing some amazing before and after pictures :love: , I see it might be worth giving strength training a try!

As I've always done basically cardio, I'm quite clueless when it comes to strength training... :embarassed: So it'd be great to know some basics! I would really appreciate your HELP!:

1) How many repetitions would you recommend for each exercise?
2) Toning versus building muscle: If what I want is to get toned I should use less weigth and do more repetitions?
3) How long do you exercise? Is 30 mins enough (for instance after doing some cardio)?
4) How many calories should I log if I don't have an HRM (they are quite pricey...)?
5) What about proteins? Do I need to eat more than usual? Before or after training?

Any other tips for beginners?

THANKS FOR YOUR HELP! :flowerforyou:

Replies

• Cathleenr
    Cathleenr Posts: 332
    Options
    here's a forum you might be interested in :
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/824-strength-training
  • lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    1. 3x8 or 5x5 seem to be popular!
    2. Building muscle = toning. High weight, low reps works best to tone up your look.
    3. I do 30 minutes of strength and 35 of cardio on a typical day.
    4. There is a strength training in cardio. Not to far off from what my HRM gives me.
    5. Some additional protein following a workout will help you rebuild muscle. I don't usually have anything I wouldn't normally have. But a lot of people say a protein shake is good.

Don't be afraid of the weights! Lift heavy, lift slow, and enjoy it! A personal trainer friend told me once, there's lifting heavy and then there's wasting your time!
    Good luck!:bigsmile:
  • aliciakay3086
    aliciakay3086 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Get the book The New Rules of Lifting for Women. It has a workout plan and all the info you need. It's the best!
  • mycovington
    mycovington Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    1.) I do about 2 sets of 15 of the highest weight I can lift. If I can't lift the same amount on the second set, I go down 5 - 10 lbs.
    2.) No, use more weight and less reps. Girls do not have the hormones to build muscle the way that men do. Lifting as heavy as possible while maintaining good form is the fast way to cut burn more fat and get the toned look you want.
    3.) I strength train before cardio and it usually takes me between 30 - 45 minutes.
    4.) I don't know how accurate this is but I let myfitnesspal calculate for me. When you log exercise, log it under cardio and do a search for "strenght training". I have heard some people say that myfitnesspal gives a high calorie estimate but I find it's a little lower than what the machines tell me and what other websites have estimated.
    5.) Yes, you do want to try to get some protein into your body within about 20 minutes after a workout. (Let me clarify, that this is what I do and what I have found suggested in my own research. I am not a scientist or a doctor so I don't know if it's hype or not but it makes sense to me so I do it)
  • thefuzz1290
    thefuzz1290 Posts: 777 Member
    Options

5-8, struggling at last rep. I would not go past 10, you're not doing anything for muscles much past 10 reps.

2) Toning versus building muscle: If what I want is to get toned I should use less weigth and do more repetitions?

There is no such thing as toning, you either build muscle or don't. What people consider toning is actually lowering body fat percentage so there is more muscle definition. If you don't build muscle, you won't have muscle definition. The easiest way to do that is lift heavier weights and watch your diet.

3) How long do you exercise? Is 30 mins enough (for instance after doing some cardio)?

Weight train first, then do cardio. There are multiple studies that show you may actually burn more fat cells by doing cardio afterwards. Also, you need more energy to lift weights than you do running on a treadmill. But to answer your question, 30 minutes to an hour is about all you need to begin with.

4) How many calories should I log if I don't have an HRM (they are quite pricey...)?

MFP has weight training under the cardio section. Its not entirely accurate, but it'll give you something.

5) What about proteins? Do I need to eat more than usual? Before or after training?

Yes. Protein repairs muscle tissue and if you're weight training, you won't see much improvement if you don't eat enough protein. That being said, you should shoot for about .75g-1g of goal weight. Some people say 1g per bodyweight, but that's unrealistic if you're overweight. I usually shoot for 150g or more.
  • ford8709
    ford8709 Posts: 140
    Options
    Bump
  • billthekill
    Options

5-8, struggling at last rep. I would not go past 10, you're not doing anything for muscles much past 10 reps.

There is no such thing as toning, you either build muscle or don't. What people consider toning is actually lowering body fat percentage so there is more muscle definition. If you don't build muscle, you won't have muscle definition. The easiest way to do that is lift heavier weights and watch your diet.

Weight train first, then do cardio. There are multiple studies that show you may actually burn more fat cells by doing cardio afterwards. Also, you need more energy to lift weights than you do running on a treadmill. But to answer your question, 30 minutes to an hour is about all you need to begin with.

MFP has weight training under the cardio section. Its not entirely accurate, but it'll give you something.

Yes. Protein repairs muscle tissue and if you're weight training, you won't see much improvement if you don't eat enough protein. That being said, you should shoot for about .75g-1g of goal weight. Some people say 1g per bodyweight, but that's unrealistic if you're overweight. I usually shoot for 150g or more.

^^^^
    what he said
  • RoxyLDN
    RoxyLDN Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for your replies. It's really helpful! :flowerforyou:
    Following your advice, I'll give it a try! :happy:
  • Ripken818836701
    Ripken818836701 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Congrads!! You wont be sorry!! Your protein should be ATLEAST 1 gram per lb. of body weight per day and drink a protein shake within 30-45 minutes of finishing your workout. A proper split is very important and you should limit your workouts to about an hour per day. My workouts take between 50-70 minutes per day. As far as reps, try for 8 each set and if you can do 10 increase the weight for your next set and if you do 7 or less decrease the weight for your next set. I limit the rest period between sets to no less than 1 minute and no longer than a minute and a half. I have seen great results from using the split below ( in my opinion its the perfect split, atleast for me) and if your interested I can help you with exercises and # of sets. Good Luck!
    ( adjust the cardio to your needs)
    Monday: Legs, Calves
    Tuesday: Back, Bi's
    Wednesday: Cardio= Insanity or elliptical, Abs= 8 sets
    Thursday: Chest, Tri's
    Friday: Cardio= Insanity or elliptical, Abs= 8 sets
    Saturday: Shoudlers, Traps, Deadlifts
    Sunday: Cardio= Insanity or elliptical
  • r_jen
    r_jen Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    bump