WEIRD LIFTING INJURY. NEED ADVICE.

Options
BIGJIMMYU
BIGJIMMYU Posts: 1,221 Member
Lately, whether I wear gloves or not, I have been developing calouses just under my fingers at the top of my palms. I don't mean to sound girly, but will hand cream help soften these down?

Replies

• DistortedButterfly
    DistortedButterfly Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    tape?
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Belt sander
  • BIGJIMMYU
    Options
    Belt sander
    Ha ha! Not very helpful but funny indeed!
  • manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    Options
    Pumice stone and moisturizer should help :flowerforyou:
  • itgeekwoman
    itgeekwoman Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    i get them too. I just use lotion every day as often as possible. I wear my gloves too. I'm partial to using the same thing on my hands as I do my feet in the bath. Just soak for a while and scrub them off!
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Belt sander

I'm serious! Unless you want to wear gloves and lotion to bed. Sand them down and always wear gloves when lifting. Check your grip too. If all else fails wrist wraps will take the pressure off your hands and reduce the callouses
  • onewhodiets
    onewhodiets Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    You must do something preventive (no advice there), but you could try using a pumice stone (gently - don't go to town on it) on what you've already got. (It's a girls version of a belt sander.)
  • jarrettd
    jarrettd Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    I've had callouses on my hands for most of my adult life. Embrace the toughness! (And use pumice and hand cream daily!)
  • nateurist
    nateurist Posts: 14
    Options
    I've had callouses on my hands for most of my adult life. Embrace the toughness! (And use pumice and hand cream daily!)

What she said! You'll appreciate them when you're doing yard work this summer!
  • BIGJIMMYU
    Options
    Belt sander

I'm serious! Unless you want to wear gloves and lotion to bed. Sand them down and always wear gloves when lifting. Check your grip too. If all else fails wrist wraps will take the pressure off your hands and reduce the callouses
    Ha ha! Thanks! Just sounded funny that's all!
  • cessnaholly
    cessnaholly Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    You just need a beer and cigar.
  • thefuzz1290
    thefuzz1290 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    It just shows you work hard. My calluses usually peel themselves off on deadlift day.
  • KPainter70
    KPainter70 Posts: 152
    Options
    Calluses are hot. Just saying. But if you want to get rid of them, go get yourself a manicure and tell whoever does it to take them off. Easier than doing it yourself and you end up with great looking nails. (Guys obviously wouldn't get polish. Unless they're Steven Tyler.)
  • BigJohn82
    BigJohn82 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    whats wrong with having calluses?

just clip them off, rip them off and go on about your business. Or grind, sand, whatever. Be thankful they are there, they are wonderful protection for your hands.

my opinion, men need them... and I don't think less of women with them.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    i used to get those bad until i adjusted my grip on the deadlift and bent over row. Before I'd try and put the bar in my palm which would pinh that part of my hand

now I "hook" the bar across my proximal phalanx. That works tons better.
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    1. lose the gloves. they dont protect from callouses (clearly) and aren't helping your grip

2. if you're gripping the bar properly, you can reduce the amount of trouble you have with them.

3. most lifters are gonna have them. clip em off after showering. I cut mine off with a razor every couple of weeks. men weren't meant to have soft hands.
  • margieward82
    margieward82 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Lately, whether I wear gloves or not, I have been developing calouses just under my fingers at the top of my palms. I don't mean to sound girly, but will hand cream help soften these down?

It's not the fact that you don't want callouses that makes you sound like a girl, it's the fact that you think it's an injury!

I take pride in mine and get irritated when my hands get too soft because it is more painful to do heavy lifts (like DL). They are the body's protection and badge of hard work!
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    There is nothing wrong with callouses. I really don't want to hold hands with a guy whose hands are softer than mine!

If they are bothering you, you can buy a dremel and dremel them down and then apply a heavy duty moisturizer.
  • FungusTrooper
    FungusTrooper Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    I'm getting giant foot callouses since I started walking religiously - I need to invest in a pumice soon I think, too.

When I used to do machine weights at the gym I got callouses through my gloves, too. I guess some people are just super susceptible to them!
  • BigJohn82
    BigJohn82 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I'm getting giant foot callouses since I started walking religiously - I need to invest in a pumice soon I think, too.

When I used to do machine weights at the gym I got callouses through my gloves, too. I guess some people are just super susceptible to them!

you won't be susceptible to them when your hands get used to doing things.