Hope someone can help...

Options
pbajwally
pbajwally Posts: 210 Member
This is my first week doing this after a looooong hiatus... (hey, it happens to the best of us, right?!)

So my question is: in tracking my food - is it OK if I'm going over things like fiber and protein? I figure as long as my fat, carbs and sugar stay in check - protein and fiber are good things. But seeing those red negatives when I'm done tracking for the day just seem intimidating! Protein and fiber keep me satiated...

Thanks in advance for any input! :)

Replies

• cbteach1
    cbteach1 Posts: 6
    Options
    I am not sure, but I definitely am wondering the same thing. I know I usually have heavy protein days when i do weightlifting and toning with my trainer because I have a protein shake. Also, is it bad to be under calories when you have had at least 1200 calories on a 1200 calorie diet? Or am I supposed to make up those calories when I workout?

Thanks for starting this question!
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    Yes, it's fine.
  • marci423
    marci423 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I go over on my protein. I wasn't until I got a trainer and he told me to :o) I have a protein shake after my gym sessions, I also start my day with a heavy dose of protein to get me going.......fiber? always :o)
  • reddi2roll
    reddi2roll Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about going over in your protein. Of course if one number goes up another number has to go down so it will either be fat or carbs. Might want to track your sodium also and that can sneak up on you and nail you when you least expect it.
  • spammyanna
    spammyanna Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    I am not sure, but I definitely am wondering the same thing. I know I usually have heavy protein days when i do weightlifting and toning with my trainer because I have a protein shake. Also, is it bad to be under calories when you have had at least 1200 calories on a 1200 calorie diet? Or am I supposed to make up those calories when I workout?

Thanks for starting this question!

Yes.

And to the OP, no, don't worry about it.
  • maf66
    maf66 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    You can adjust the macros to suit your needs. It's under the goal tab.
  • mom2mozart
    mom2mozart Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    the fiber setting on MFP are too low. The RDA of fiber is actually between 25 and 30 grams for adults. Don't know why it is set so low for MFP. Also, according to everyone the protein allowance is also low on here. I go over on both daily and I've been losing steady. Down 15 pounds in 50 days.
  • leojsivad
    leojsivad Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Yes, it is ok to go over your protein. Fiber, within reason, is also good for your digestive system. I would watch out more for going over carbs, sugar, and fat.
  • ahealthy4u
    ahealthy4u Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    You can adjust the macros to suit your needs. It's under the goal tab.

Everyone’s needs are different so adjust them to what you need my wellness coach helped me with mine along with doctors who have told me what to watch out for.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,082 Member
    Options
    You can track other stuff. . . change it by going to Food> Settings> (then pick some other stuff like Vit A or Saturated Fat)
  • pbajwally
    pbajwally Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Thanks, everyone!
  • Redbird99ky
    Redbird99ky Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    Yes, it's certainly okay to go over protein and fiber. Protein is especially important for building and repairing muscle after you work out. Glad to see you're back at it. Let me know if I can be of any help!

Oh, and if you ever look at some of the protein bars out there, I can definitely say that I like the Zone bars. All three of the ones that I have tried, I like (double dark chocolate, dark chocolate almond, and cookie dough!)