What are you doing to achieve weight loss?

Options
For everyone that has been successful with consistently losing weight every week what are you doing to make that happen? What do you eat in a typical day and how much and what exercise do you do?

Replies

• bachooka
    bachooka Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    BUMP! I need some tips too.
  • robindina
    robindina Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    bump
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,110 Member
    Options
    Come on. Just pick some foods you like, and eat the right amount of them :huh:
  • steelerwheeler
    Options
    I am pretty steady with taking off two pounds a week and one of the keys to it is the water. I faithfully drink the 8 and sometimes even more and it makes me feel better and has really helped the pounds come off.
  • mwilke
    mwilke Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I don't lose every week, and you can see in my diary that I have been eating horribly. But, I started C25K yesterday, and am planning on sticking to it. And I am making the effort to eat better, even tho circumstances are not working with me right now....
  • 4my2jays
    4my2jays Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I am pretty steady with taking off two pounds a week and one of the keys to it is the water. I faithfully drink the 8 and sometimes even more and it makes me feel better and has really helped the pounds come off.
    This is so true for me too. I feel like the water flushes the fat away
  • CaseRat
    CaseRat Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I eat 2,100-2600 calories a day depending on whether I do cardio/weight training/HIIT or not.
    Breakfast is generally always oats and lite milk.
    Lunch will be tuna with a salad or rice.
    Mid-afternoon is a ham/peanut butter sandwhich, yoghurt, almonds and a bit of fruit.
    Dinner is mostly chicken with rice or veggies or salad.
    and before bed is more yoghurt :)
    Occasional treat is normally ice-cream when I'm feeling some junk; always keep it within my calorie goal though!
    It all varies a little bit, too, depending on what I've got in the house and if I'm away from home.

Have only been trying to cut down my bodyfat% for 3 weeks and I've lost 2.5kgs so far...seeing some good results :)
  • Sherbog
    Sherbog Posts: 1,072 Member
    Options
    Surrounded myself with postive supportive people. I limited my computer and TV time. Changed my dialy routines and habits. Learned to say no to all the "eating out" invites. Got off my butt. Drank my 8 glasses of water every day. Went through photo albums for mortivation. Got rid of my clothes the minute the were to big. Found new ways to reward myself other than food. Realized that celebrating new positive behaviors was important. Logged into MFP every day. Checked my local free weekly paper for fun things to do that were outside or involved moving my body...community walks, 1st Friday artwalks and free dance lessons. Ate breakfast even though I did not want to.

I walk every single day. Try to grocery shop only twice a month and always with a list I use. Joined a low cost local group ($39 per year) that has a weekly weigh-in to hold myself accountable. Read the MFP posts and took what worked for me and ignored the rest.

Ask my General Practioner to order lab tests (lucky because I have insurance) so that I would have a baseline to compare to in the future when I reach my goal.

Great topic as it made me rewind my memory tapes and motivate myself.

Allowed myself to relaspe without beating myself up. Started treating myself better.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Eating a moderate amount and doing some exercise. It really is that simple.

I lost about 22kg last year eating 1400-1600 net cals a day (that means "eating my exercise calories") and exercising 4-5 times a week, mostly running or walking, sometimes riding. Mostly for a max of about 40 minutes.
    I've kept most of that off, though I've put on about 2kg so I'm back to lower cals (about a 400 cal deficit) for the next couple of to lose those and maybe a few more as well.

My theory on losing weight is that it doesn't really matter whether you go "low carb" or "paelo" or "eat in moderation" or have "spike days" or drink some foul concoction or create all of your deficit from exercise or from diet or follow the "purple pumpkin diet".
    If you can find a system that is getting a healthy amount of nutrition into your body and it is something that you can stick to in the long term, then you will have success.

So, my summary: eat a bit less, move a bit more, don't go to extremes in anything, and keep doing that for a long time - basically for the rest of your life!
  • davidhouck
    Options
    My first post. 60 days in, 30 pounds down. MFP is awesome - if you can measure it, you can improve it. Got 2 buddies and my wife posting regularly too. Nothing like a little competition and peer pressure.

Some mini-plateaus already, and some 5 pound upward relapses. Seems that in order to lose weight, I need to be safely below MFP's daily calorie budget. Thus I've been exercising (running, elliptical, swimming, biking) at least 30 minutes every day.

Drinking lots of water. Have hardly eaten any bread or dessert. Still drinking socially. Lots of fruits and veggies, plus daily vitamin intake. Portion control seems to be most important thing.

Good luck to all. Hoping to stay on the plan.
  • litatura
    litatura Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    I'm following Weight Watchers plus tracking my food on here (26 WW Points Plus per day which usually equals between 1200-1450 calories per day). I make sure that I get at least 3 servings of fruit and 4 servings of veggies per day. I also go on the treadmill 5X a week for a minimum of an hour with the incline jacked way up. I've consistently been losing 1-2 lbs a week since I started in July.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    I eat my exercise calories back daily, Do both cardio and strength training as well as aquatic exercise.. I eat alot of good fats... Almonds, pistachios, all natural crunchy peanut butter... Love tuna and baby sweet peas mixed together with texas pete's hot sauce for an after weight training protein meal.. I avoid all junk food ( I am not in the camp of eating junk food in moderation because that food just doesn't appeal to me anymore) I do allow myself 2 spike meals a week... Only rules is I eat them out and don't bring any of it home... Everyone is different but these are a few of the things that work for me....
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    I do about 20 minutes of conditioning. I would not really call it cardio even though it is but I go as hard as I can for 20 minutes on the elliptical and then do about an hour of weightlifting. I do this about 4 days a week.

None of that really helped me loose weight until I started eating the right amount of calories. I can work my *kitten* off for over an hour and burn about 600 calories then go to Wendy's and eat a burger and fries that is about 1200 calories. You can see how diet is WAY more important then working out for loosing weight.

My diary is open if you wanna check out what I eat.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!