How do YOU get motivated to push through your exercises?

Options
I have the 30 Day Shred video but I just CANNOT push through it! I can hear myself in my mind pushing myself, but I just can't seem to do it! Anyone have any tips on how to get yourself to be able to FINISH a certain exercise or to just help power through something? Even when I'm on the treadmill, I can't jog for more than 5 minutes without giving up! It's embarrassing, but I really need to get myself into shape this time around!

Replies

• mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    Think about why you bought the video to begin with. I think of my goals, where I want to be a day/week/month/year from now.

I have inspiration quotes all over my house and workout room and when I need to I glance at them and it get me back on track.

Food.....I eat my exercize calories so I know if I get done I have a snack.
  • Tanya_IP
    Tanya_IP Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    i get so frustrated i get mad and start swearing at jillian micheals lol
  • Valkyriewoman
    Valkyriewoman Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I use a chant or cadence like "kill, kill, kill the hill," or long, lean, thin, strong." I'll tell myself I only have to make it through the next ten times I say it. Then ten more, then ten more.
  • amie0724
    amie0724 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    visualize how you are going to look and put on some motivating music and work out!
  • amandammmq
    amandammmq Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    I started really gently, not pushing very hard at all. After time went by, my energy increased and my desire to push harder, to exercise more/ longer/ with more effort and enthusiasm grew as well.

That's the slow and steady approach. It seems to be working for me - I haven't had the desire to quit, which is huge!
  • CanDBlack
    CanDBlack Posts: 13
    Options
    Food.....I eat my exercize calories so I know if I get done I have a snack.

^^^This is probably my biggest motivation. I think about what yummy snack I will get to have now that I burned x amount of calories. And not necessarily junk, just something extra. Or I get motivated thinking about the too small jeans in my closet with the tags still on them that I lost the receipt for...:embarassed: ... I always dread getting up to do the workout, but when it's over I'm so happy I pushed thru it, and since I know that I just do it. I guess you have to find what motivates you. Good luck!
  • KidP
    KidP Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Can you hire a trainer or take classes lead by one? They usually are able to motivate you enough to go well beyond what you think you can do (i.e. they don't let you give up when you want to).
  • DzzyButterfly
    DzzyButterfly Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Lately, I am rather morbid about motivating myself. If I feel fatigued or want to quit, I remind myself that I am alive and healthy. I am cancer-free. I am not missing an organ or a limb. I have the gift of life and I need to appreciate and take care of that gift. The LEAST I can do is push through an exercise for 20 minutes. I know people who would KILL to JUST be in the type of pain I am in when I exercise.

Needless to say, it has been a rough year for a lot of people in my life.
  • saragato
    saragato Posts: 1,154
    Options
    I remind myself it's better to feel sore and grumpy from an intense workout than p*ssy because I skipped a day or chose to sleep in instead. Yes I don't always want to get up early and don my workout gear and come home literally dripping sweat from the gym and with a headache (I have a problem with my eyes and get ocular migraines that turn into nasty headaches whenever I do too much physical activity, light or heavy) but I know if I don't go I'll beat myself up over it and blame that if the scale either doesn't move or doesn't show the goal I set for myself for the week. I basically tough love myself into it.
  • flhedinger
    Options
    I think that mantras are really helpful. When I get to the end of my stamina during a run and I want to push for those extra few minutes, I choose one thing to say to myself over and over in my head (and if I'm running outside and I'm alone, I will say it out loud, too!). For example, my running mantra is "this is the new me", and I say it over and over to myself to motivate me when I'm tired.
  • LauraLouFace
    LauraLouFace Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I get disappointed in myself if I don't push through, and somehow that motivates me to get through it! But with the 30 Day Shred, start by making goals. Follow the beginner moves and give yourself the 5 second breaks when you need them, or do half the reps, and then the next time make a goal to add in just a little more. Work your way up!
  • saragato
    saragato Posts: 1,154
    Options
    Lately, I am rather morbid about motivating myself. If I feel fatigued or want to quit, I remind myself that I am alive and healthy. I am cancer-free. I am not missing an organ or a limb. I have the gift of life and I need to appreciate and take care of that gift. The LEAST I can do is push through an exercise for 20 minutes. I know people who would KILL to JUST be in the type of pain I am in when I exercise.

Sounds similar to my mindset, especially on really bad days. But hey, if it works and gets you moving then that's all that matters.
  • juicemoogan
    juicemoogan Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    You have to really find a personal motivation within you for why you are even doing it in the first place..
    It can only come from within..

Good luck!!

:)
  • nvang22
    nvang22 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! You guys are all so helpful! I will be thinking of every post and reply while I am in the gym tomorrow!!!
  • ihateroses
    ihateroses Posts: 893 Member
    Options
    Pretend you are doing it for an audience and if you stop, the show is over....maybe its the Thespian in me haha
  • nvang22
    Options
    I may even start the 30 Day Shred again tonight!!! WHOO!
  • nvang22
    Options

I never thought about it like that!! Thanks!
  • Angela_Freeborn
    Options
    Honestly this may sound funny but it works for me:

On my wall right in front of where i work out or do my JM shred, I have a full body picture of me now at my yucky weight (which makes me sad)
    And right beside it, I also have a picture of my face pasted on the body of a smaller girl which represents what i want to look like but only if i keep up the work.. (which then motivates me to work harder to get that body). It works for me he he he. hope this may help ): good luck hun.
  • NewMeKP
    NewMeKP Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    As funny as it sounds, I keep a calender and mark ahead of time the days that i should be on ( for example today my calender is marked level 1 day 5). because i hate being off track. and while im exercising if i feel the need to give up or slack off i just count down from my current weight to my goal weight. you dont have as much to lose as i do but it works for me lol