Does Strength Training Not Burn Any Calories?

Options
kroger7
kroger7 Posts: 124 Member
? Feels like it does something :huh:

Replies

• SharonEllis51
    SharonEllis51 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I started strength training a week ago and it does burn calories. I have lost weight and inches. I can now fit back into a dress I couldn't get over my hips two months ago. Keep up the good work!:tongue:
  • GTOgirl1969
    GTOgirl1969 Posts: 2,527 Member
    Options
    You can log your strength training in the "cardio" section and it will keep track of the calories you've burned. :flowerforyou:
  • saretta71
    saretta71 Posts: 22
    Options
    Strength training mixed with cardio or "Circuit Training" is an awesome way to build muscle and and lose weight. It lasts an hour and I burn about 600 calories. I'm 5.4 and 160lbs.:happy:
  • jowily
    jowily Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    It does - but only the cardio section records calorie burn - so you can track the activity under strength training...then add it in summary (i.e. weightraining - 1 hour) under Cardio for the calories that are burned.
  • kroger7
    kroger7 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Strength training mixed with cardio or "Circuit Training" is an awesome way to build muscle and and lose weight. It lasts an hour and I burn about 600 calories. I'm 5.4 and 160lbs.:happy:

you're burning 10 calories a minute just strength training alone?:noway: When I logged it in under cardio, my 10-minute morning workout was only 26 calories burned?
  • pange
    pange Posts: 82
    Options
    MFP doesn't record strength training calories for you because it can vary so much from person to person and from your workouts.
  • Cynder
    Cynder Posts: 79
    Options
    Strength training also helps your body burn more calories when you are not working out. Gives the metabolism a boost.:bigsmile:
  • saretta71
    Options

you're burning 10 calories a minute just strength training alone?:noway: When I logged it in under cardio, my 10-minute morning workout was only 26 calories burned?

The stations integrate the cardio (step, running, biking) with strength training so my heart rate is up at 150 nearly the whole time. That's the key. I wore a heart rate monitor and I burn tons. Haven't done that with just weight lifting alone.