Ideas while in Chicago?

Options
cheermom11
cheermom11 Posts: 393 Member
Hey all - I'm making my first trip to Chicago in two weeks.

What places do you recommend for sight-seeing, shopping and... eating?

Replies

• SassySouthernGirl
    Options
    I'm going for the first time on August 28, and have researched it completely! Looks like the Aquarium is AWESOME! And, the Navy Pier....ALL kinds of activities, shopping, restaurants, etc. there. We'll also be going to House of Blues. And, we'll visit the landmarks such as the former Sears Tower, etc. Not sure what else...this isn't much help for you...but just a note of what I planned after my research. I think we'll enjoy the Navy Pier more than anything....will get a great view of the Chicago skyline from one of the boat tours. Have a great time whatever you do there! :wink:
  • saretta71
    Options
    Rent a bike and ride down the lake front. Walk EVERYWHERE. Chicago is awesome - plus you can get tons of exercise in to make up for all the yummy food.
  • ash4nicole
    Options
    The Aquarium is AWESOME! Also, the Field Museum is fun! The lake front and Navy Pier are a MUST! Wrigleyville, even if you don't go to a game.
  • VeganGal
    VeganGal Posts: 26
    Options
    I am from the Chicago area. I would also recommend doing the magnificent mile on Michigan Avenue, and ride to the top of the sears tower (or "willis" tower now as they are calling it). It is a beautiful view. The water taxis are awesome because you get out on the lake, but it's only like $3 from union station to Michigan Avenue....much more fun and less expensive than a regular cab. They also go all the way to Navy Pier for $6. The Italian Village is delicious and such a fun, cute place. Millennium Park is a must...check out the famous bean. haha It is a gorgeous park. You won't have any problem keeping busy or finding places to eat. If you want to be really bad and get yourself some Chicago style deep dish pizza try Lou Malnati's. Nothing compares to Lou's.
  • khskr1
    khskr1 Posts: 392
    Options
    OMG! If you like Thai food you have to go to Vonn's. It's the best I've had and reasonalby priced. I'm so jealous...can I come too?? :)

If you can get in a Cubs game there is nothing like it!! Have a great time!!
  • cheermom11
    Options
    THANKS for the great ideas! I'm writing them all down...

I hate to admit it, but I think I'll have to Try both Lou's AND Vonn's :blushing:

I'll plan on getting in alot of walking :smile:
  • SassySouthernGirl
    Options
    Since we're on the subject of Chicago....can anybody recommend a nice hotel near the Navy Pier??? We don't get away from our kids much so I want a nice one, and I need to get it all booked this week. Thanks!!
  • cheermom11
    Options

2. Eat at Ed Debevic's.

I've heard about that place. Sounds like a good time! :wink:
  • SassySouthernGirl
    Options
    And I thought I had researched.....!! :laugh: You've all given me so much more to check out...thanks!! Oh, and if anybody has any suggestions of a nice hotel near Navy Pier.....please let me know!! :flowerforyou:
  • VeganGal
    VeganGal Posts: 26
    Options
    And I thought I had researched.....!! :laugh: You've all given me so much more to check out...thanks!! Oh, and if anybody has any suggestions of a nice hotel near Navy Pier.....please let me know!! :flowerforyou:

Fairmont Hotel Chicago is quite nice. It's about a 15 minute walk from Navy Pier and one block over from Michigan Avenue. The water taxi to Navy Pier also picks up right around the corner.
  • SassySouthernGirl
    Options
    Thanks! I'll check it out right away!