P90X Yoga

Options
Dear Lord, this is boring. Yes, it's playing in the background while I type this. If I have to do one more runner's pose, I'm... well... I'm just not gonna do it. Someone please tell me I can still get results without having to miserable my way through this every week...

Replies

• fionat29
    fionat29 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I'm with you!!! I love P90X but the yoga and synergistics leave me literally cold!! I haven't done either since the first time, I just do the lifting, pylo and kempoX. I would love to love these two workouts but I really can't bring myself to try them again.
  • WickedGarden
    WickedGarden Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    I can't tell you that you will get results without it...I'm finishing up my 9th week.

I do feel for you! I *hated* yoga, I was yelling at the TV "NO! NO MORE DOWNWARD DOG!! NO MORE RUNNER'S POSE!"...now that I am finally able to do most of the poses, I don't mind it as much...it's still one of my least favorite workouts. Tony is right though, yoga is a good workout for strength training and balance. I don't fall over as much anymore, and my flexibility has improved so much.

My chiropractor told me that the plough and shoulder stance positions are not good for the spine, so I skip those.

The maintenance program does recommend Yoga at least once a week...
  • mckshowie
    mckshowie Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    i kind of went into this with a bad attitude because i read reviews and people complained about it left and right... i do want to like it. i just don't. not today anyway. so... for a run i will go. at least then i won't feel guilty for shutting it off with 48 minutes left.
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    I hated the yoga! I do the TurboFire stretch 40 or Biggest Loser yoga instead.
  • AYC00
    AYC00 Posts: 1
    Options
    Yoga is a hate to love it kind of thing. I did a full 90 days of p90x and I hated yoga; struggled with it. After the first month, and every month after, i noticed huge improvements in flexibility and balance which made the rest of my exercises a lot better as well. I play basketball a few times a week, and my small injuries that i would get have pretty much stopped. I definitely look forward to doing yoga at least 1-2 times a week on rest days. Stick with it, I promise you won't regret it. it's definitely a good work out, maybe not by calorie burn or heart rate but it is for overall core/muscular strength. The main gripe i had with p90x yoga is the length, so this helped me and a lot of other x'ers, and suggest you look into it as well: p90x2 yoga, or the Tony Horton: One on One yoga sessions. They are about 45-60 minutes long, a lot more fast paced so that might help you stay involved.
  • golferd
    golferd Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    Suck it up. I think most that complain are doing it half effort. Quit watching the time and challenge yourself to go deeper and farther on stretches. Part of the program is training your mind to quit taking the easy route or the excuse route.
  • mom2scc
    mom2scc Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    im so with you! i hate the yoga!! but i trying to stick with it because i know it will help my flexablitie & core strenght.
  • leojsivad
    leojsivad Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I hated the yoga! I do the TurboFire stretch 40 or Biggest Loser yoga instead.

Go to any health store and get another yoga dvd for 6 bucks. The turbofire Stretch 40 has most of the core moves from Yoga X, and is half the length.
  • bahacca
    bahacca Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    The Yoga DVD is my second fav next to Plyo. If you REALLY concentrate on every muscle you are using, it WHIPS you!
  • mckshowie
    mckshowie Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Suck it up. I think most that complain are doing it half effort. Quit watching the time and challenge yourself to go deeper and farther on stretches. Part of the program is training your mind to quit taking the easy route or the excuse route.

mmm, nah, im good. if subbing running or zumba or something i enjoy (gasp, maybe even a less terrible yoga dvd!) doesn't deliver the same results or good results... then that's on me. but if dreading the yoga day every week makes me not want to do it, i'm good with skipping it.
  • Djm2u
    Djm2u Posts: 1
    Options
    Ya im on my 3rd week and I cant stand the yoga what a snozze fest.
  • darkmouzy
    darkmouzy Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    I dont like the yoga because its 90 minutes long and I'mm such a high energy person it's just too slow for me hate being still like that for certain periods of time.lol
  • mrsfoose
    mrsfoose Posts: 59
    Options
    The yoga dvd is very long and I still get frustrated. I skipped it for awhile and then was feeling tight so I did the routine and the next day I was sore, really sore. Honestly I really believe that Tony is right and it's a crucial part of the program. The more you do it the less of a punishment it feels.
  • tgh1914
    tgh1914 Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    Anyone who's ever tried Yoga X must listen to Jim Rome's take on it: :laugh:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8FTkPVc_cxk
  • JenAiMarres
    JenAiMarres Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    Seriously...Could. Not. Do. This.

I love tony and all.. But this video stinks!!! Lol!!!!!! I just skipped it altogether after I tried to endure the first 15 min..I am even a fan of yoga! Something about that ticker saying there was 90 minutes left!!! uggghh!
  • IndependentGuilt
    Options
    Ok...I am going to do this DVD in the am before work. I have to be honest and say that you all are NOT inspiring me!!! Just kidding, but I am looking for some more support--add me as a friend and keep me on track?
  • sheri02r
    sheri02r Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    Glad to know I'm not the only one who hated it!! I did either the CardioX or StretchX instead of Yoga. Those were Much more tolerable.
  • tgh1914
    tgh1914 Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    Ok, let me say, even tho I poke fun at it. It is a good workout to do. I'm not P90X anymore now, but I did 3 rounds of it last year. And I pretty much did the Yoga about half the time (subbed other times). Yoga is very good for giving your muscles good recovery and elasticity, which is def needed if you're stressing them. It's very good if you are at all interested in maintaining a good freedom of movement and coordination needed in any kind of active sport.

Yoga X is 90 mins long, but the hard part is done in about 45 mins. Then it gets more relaxing. If I had to cut it short, which I did many times, I'd cut the end off. And as far as how difficult it is, trust me it does get easier. I'd def give it a few tries before giving up on it. I kinda learned to like it.
  • mewaybright
    mewaybright Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    i kind of went into this with a bad attitude because i read reviews and people complained about it left and right... i do want to like it. i just don't. not today anyway. so... for a run i will go. at least then i won't feel guilty for shutting it off with 48 minutes left.

When I started this I thought... Yoga??? that is not working out... well I was totally wrong and after a year of working out I have to admit I actually enjoy the yoga workout and the fact that I can now balance on one foot while tying my shoe, put my foot on the bathroom counter top to dry my leg after a shower as well as many other items of flexibility that I have noticed... well I have to say that yes it has made a difference. It will also make you sweat like you just ran 5 miles. Give it a go with an open mind and you may just find that the results are well worth the sacrifice.
  • ZoeLifts
    ZoeLifts Posts: 10,347 Member
    Options
    I did the yoga DVD today for the first time, even after all of the bad reviews, but I wanted to keep an open mind. It is not that I really hate it, its ok, but frankly, my beef is not so much that it is boring, but that it is just not a very good yoga DVD. I have taken plenty of 90 minute yoga classes that totally whipped me and I felt good after it and time flew, so yes, boredom was one factor here. Here are my other issues with this one:

1 - Tony has you stretch before you do yoga? Ummm, that's a little like a marathon runner running some sprints to warm up a few minutes before the marathon. You don't have to pre-stretch before yoga, it is integrated in the entire process IF IT IS DONE RIGHT
    2 - Not enough sun salutations to warm your body - This should have been done quite a bit to get you warm and flexible
    3 - Way too many "advanced" poses thrown in without consideration for mentioning modifications. This surprises me because Tony is good with modifications in the rest of the series. Many instructors will give you advanced as an option and tell you where you can go further, Tony implies you should be able to wrap your arms around your back and under your thigh immediately in angle pose. This could cause injury.
    4 - Not enough "flow" through to poses in order to prevent injury
    5 - The length is unnecessary for what he was doing. It looks like he was throwing in every single pose he could possibly think of into a 90 minute class. At the hour mark, we moved into floor exercises that should be moving you into savasana, so I was curious what happens next that takes 30 minutes (this is when I stopped trying to do the DVD). It looks like he moves into a bunch more poses, then abs for almost 15 minutes, after the flow has slowed down to almost a stop.

There are probably others, but I stopped at an hour and skipped through the rest to see what was up that I was missing.

I agree that yoga is a great thing to have to throw in with P90X, it is important to helping build strength, for flexibility and for stretching. I am not a yoga expert, but I have years and years of all sorts of classes to take. This DVD would be fine for a sort of beginner, but not one that is really green and may take the poses too far and hurt themselves. It is not good for someone who has experience and may find themselves more annoyed than anything.

I am going to experiment with some other yoga DVDs, I'm not just going to just suck it up and do Tony's because it is included in the package. I will do everything else, but I think maybe a Baptiste video or something along those lines will be my sub in for this portion. Just my two cents, take it or leave it. Hopefully my thoughts will give someone looking into why P90X yoga get's such bad press a more specific idea of problems to watch out for.