shakes and smoothies?

Options
I am looking to incorporate some shakes and/or smoothies into my mix. Any good ones you can recomend?

Replies

• prowe80
    prowe80 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    If your on the go Dole shakers are good and so is yoplait smoothie mix,:drinker:
  • sbenson1978
    Options
    the body by vi 90 day challenge is a shake meall replacement. its the shake mix that tastes like cake mix, hundreds of ways to mix them. my boys enjoy them too. check them out www . staceybenson . bodybyvi . com
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    I like to use frozen fruit since it gives you great texture.

My formula is something like:
    1-1.5 cups of fruit
    1 cup of liquid (milk, yogurt, almond milk, coconut water, juice)
    Optional: spices, lemon juice, lime juice, ginger, herbs

I have been using protein powder, but I would prefer to use yogurt.

This week I have made
    orange, banana, avocado, ginger, coconut water
    mango, banana,avocado, coconut water
    blueberries, raspberries, almond milk
    raspberries, mango, avocado, coconut water

The combinations are endless! Have fun.
    Banana and avocado add creaminess to your smoothies.
  • cutiepie2628
    cutiepie2628 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    I like to use frozen fruit since it gives you great texture.

My formula is something like:
    1-1.5 cups of fruit
    1 cup of liquid (milk, yogurt, almond milk, coconut water, juice)
    Optional: spices, lemon juice, lime juice, ginger, herbs

I have been using protein powder, but I would prefer to use yogurt.

This week I have made
    orange, banana, avocado, ginger, coconut water
    mango, banana,avocado, coconut water
    blueberries, raspberries, almond milk
    raspberries, mango, avocado, coconut water

The combinations are endless! Have fun.
    Banana and avocado add creaminess to your smoothies.

im going to really have to try this ... sounds so good.
  • teasdino
    teasdino Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Well here is my recipe of sorts,
    Handful of kale
    An apple cut up
    Kombocha green tea. If you don't want it than place a couple of oranges,clementines,or tangelos in the blender first and liquefy
    Ground hemp seeds or ground flax seeds
    Put these in the order they are listed and blend till smooth. Then dump in frozen blueberries or frozen mixed berries.
    This is really great tasting! The blueberries will take over and hide the kale completely. The addition of the seeds is for if you are planning to use it to replace a snack , or add more protein to your diet. This is just a jumping off recipe. Today I added a kiwi and a slice of pineapple. I like my blends better without dairy. It makes me feel a bit sluggish. Using the frozen fruit makes it more the consistency of almost a sorbet...lol. But trust me...this is very good tasting.
    Hope this helps spark your imagination :-)
    Jac
  • teasdino
    teasdino Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Love the coconut water suggestion. I will be shopping tomorrow!
    Jac
  • xlolitabandita
    Options
    I make my own in my blender. I usually add one container of low fat yogurt with real fruit, a banana, and some v8 light fruit juice. Sometimes I even throw in protein powder or peanutbutter. How filling or rich and how high cal it is depends on if it's a snack to hold me over or a full meal. =]
  • jarrodc
    jarrodc Posts: 102
    Options
    Well, if you want a filling smoothie you need something to thicken it so it doesn't just go down the hatch like water... Because drinking calories like this tends to keep you hungry on more calories.

If you can find any frozen spinach that is frozen in cubes, they're epic, because they're insanely low calorie but they thicken your smoothie up without adding calories and they happen to not taste like anything when you mix it with other stuff + spinach is super healthy of course!

Other than that I enjoy using blueberries (low glycemic load), bananas (also thicken it up), eggs (complete protein, good fats), cinnamon (why not? good with bananas), sometimes a little stevia if I'm feeling cheeky, or some vanilla essence if I'm feeling really cheeky.

Other than that you can blend just about anything, so make up random combos, you'll figure it out ;) The only protip I have is to keep it thick!
  • kaitlynnrogers
    kaitlynnrogers Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    www.dashingdish.com

she has SOOOO many good ones!
  • 6ladybugs
    6ladybugs Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I like to blend 4ever fit fruit blast isolate tropical mango with greek yogurt and a little almond milk.
  • Vyshness8699
    Vyshness8699 Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    www.dashingdish.com

she has SOOOO many good ones!

I'm gonna check this website out I love smoothies
  • sassyt1206
    Options
    depends on what you like ..i have a smoothie book with all kinds or recipes...

Raspberry-lemon smoothie

1 cup frozen raspberries
    1 carton (8oz) lemon flavored yogurt
    1/2 cup milk
    1 tsp vanilla

place all ingredients in blender...blend until smooth makes about 1 1/2 cups

Kiwi-pineapple cream

1 cup frozen pineapple chunks
    1 container(6 ozs) key lime yogurt
    1 kiwi peeled and sliced
    12/ cup unsweetned coconut milk
    1 tbsp honey

place all ingredients in blender...blend until smooth makes 2 3/4 cup servings

Soy Mango smoothie

1 cup frozen mango chunks
    1 container(6 ozs) vanilla soy yogurt
    1/2 cup orange juice
    2 tbsp honey
    1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon grated ginger

place all ingredients in blender...blend until smooth makes 2 servings

Cantaloupe smoothie

3 cups of cubed cantaloupe
    2 containers(6 ozs) orange creme low-fat yogurt
    1/2 cup orange tangerine or orange juice
    1 tbsp honey
    1 tsp vanilla

place all ingredients in blender...blend until smooth makes about 4 6 oz servings

Protein energy shake

1 cup plain soy milk
    1 1/2 cups vanilla soy yogurt
    1/4 raw walnut halves
    1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
    2 1/2 tbsp honey
    4 ice cubes

blend on high until mixture is frothy and ice cubes are finely ground
    abt 30 seconds to 1 minute makes 4 servings
  • Paolinat
    Paolinat Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Kale or spinach (Vitamin A and calcium)
    banana, frozen (Potassium and thickens smoothie)
    1/2 cup frozen fruit (strawberry, blueberry,etc.) or 1/2 apple (if you like things sweet)
    about 1/2 cup Fage 0% Greek yogurt (tremendous amy of protein)
    about 1/2 cup 2% cottage cheese (has protein and calcium and little fat ) or 18 almonds or 1 tbsp peanut butter (nuts have more fat, but will keep you fuller longer.
    1/4-1/2 cup water (depending on how thick you want smoothie)

Also 1 Tbsp ground flax seed will help you feel full and provide Omega 3's. However, you have to drink quick because the flax seed will absorb all liquid and make smoothie thick!

For me: if I workout in the morning I need less fat and so I do cottage cheese. If I don't workout in the morning I do nuts. Sometimes I will make shake with cottage cheese and eat hard boiled egg separately for excess fast and protein.
  • 1a1a
    1a1a Posts: 761 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Paolinat
    Paolinat Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Well, if you want a filling smoothie you need something to thicken it so it doesn't just go down the hatch like water... Because drinking calories like this tends to keep you hungry on more calories.

If you can find any frozen spinach that is frozen in cubes, they're epic, because they're insanely low calorie but they thicken your smoothie up without adding calories and they happen to not taste like anything when you mix it with other stuff + spinach is super healthy of course!

Other than that I enjoy using blueberries (low glycemic load), bananas (also thicken it up), eggs (complete protein, good fats), cinnamon (why not? good with bananas), sometimes a little stevia if I'm feeling cheeky, or some vanilla essence if I'm feeling really cheeky.

Other than that you can blend just about anything, so make up random combos, you'll figure it out ;) The only protip I have is to keep it thick!

You can puree fresh spinach in a blender with a bit of water. Then pour the spinach in ice cube trays and place in freezer. When frozen, pop them out, place in ziploc bag or container with lid and place in freezer. Use as needed.

I also slice bananas, place on cookie sheet and freeze them. When frozen I stick in bag or container and use as needed.
  • AussieGem
    AussieGem Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    bump for later
  • jarrodc
    jarrodc Posts: 102
    Options

You can puree fresh spinach in a blender with a bit of water. Then pour the spinach in ice cube trays and place in freezer. When frozen, pop them out, place in ziploc bag or container with lid and place in freezer. Use as needed.

I also slice bananas, place on cookie sheet and freeze them. When frozen I stick in bag or container and use as needed.

Of course but that requires effort and time :P

Also when you freeze banana slices, you can put them in the blender and they make a substance that is similar to icecream :)
  • glittr92
    glittr92 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I love making fruit smoothies but fruits like bananas have a lot of sugar. After making one serving I'm left with only like 1 or no grams of sugar left for the day. :(
  • misty2ann
    misty2ann Posts: 127
    Options
    So many awesome ideas, guys! Thank you so much!