Could someone please explain P90X please?

Options
Well I was given the P90X DVDs but I don't have any of the books or guides on how the work routines work and what order they need to go in and for how long. All I know is that the workouts are supposed to change so you don't plateau....that's really all I know about it. I want to start tomorrow.

Also...is it better to do these workouts in the morning or does it not matter what time of day you do it?

THANKS!

Replies

• Charity776
    Charity776 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Where did you find the Wii Fit Challenge?
  • megan145
    megan145 Posts: 67
    Options
    It's actually the second thread on this forum and we are starting a brand new challenge on the 22nd. You're very welcome to join if you want! :happy:
  • sandy429
    sandy429 Posts: 2,779 Member
    Options
    You're missing some very valuable information with not having the Fitness Guide & Nutrition Plan. Both books are key to success with the program. Contact Beachbody Customer Service and order the books. Read them both thoroughly, and then you'll be prepared to start P90X.
  • PonyGirl34
    PonyGirl34 Posts: 29
    Options
    I just ordered this program and I cannot wait! I've done a ton of research and it seems to be the one for me. I can't wait for it to get here though. I plan to do the DVDs at home and then use the parts I can at the gym. My goal is to get in shape and learn how to maximize my workout. Using weights and equipment has always intimidated me. Hopefully I'll learn something with this. :)
  • singfree
    singfree Posts: 1,591 Member
    Options
    Sandy is correct. The workout and nutrition books are as important as the CDs. Also make sure you have the right equipment before starting. For me a pullup bar is a must! I also prefer dumbbells to bands.
  • BR1986FB
    BR1986FB Posts: 1,515 Member
    Options
    I also agree with Sandy. The nutrition guide is gold. It's the key to the program, IMO.
  • markxster
    markxster Posts: 19
    Options
    One thing to remember is that P90X offers three different (difficulty levels) to follow. If your goal is to lose fat and maintain your current muscle mass --> P90X Lean Program. If your goal is to maintain your current weight, drop some fat and build muscle --> P90X Classic. If your goal is to be INSAIN and you are already at around 10% body fat, REALLY FIT, and want to take your fitness level to a new extreme --> P90X Doubles. Without the proper diet and rest, you can...and will burn yourself out doing this program. The Nutrition guide is paramount!

-Mark
    Independent Beachbody Coach

212319.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Online Calorie Counter
  • WTJoyce
    WTJoyce Posts: 86
    Options
    I didn't use the nutrition guide at all, I just counted calories on MFPand still lost a total of 32 pounds and got my body fat percentage down to 15%.

As for the guides:
    essentially for Phase 1 you do Ab Ripper X on Monday Wednesday and Friday,
    chest and back (Monday),
    plyometrics (Tuesday),
    Biceps, Shoulders and Triceps (Wednesday),
    Yoga (Thursday)
    then Legs and back (Friday) and
    either stretch or kenpo X (Saturday) for three weeks, then the rest routine on week four Monday through Saturday is as follows
    Yoga X,
    Core Synergistics,
    Kenpo X,
    X Stretch,
    Core Synergistics,
    Yoga X,
    Rest or Stretch.

Phase 2 (3 more weeks)
    is ARX stile every Monday, Wednesday and Friday,
    Tuesday, Thursday, Friday and Saturday are the same as Phase 1,
    Monday is Chest, Shoulders and Triceps,
    Wednesday is Back and Biceps,
    then the Rest week again.

Phase 3 is 1 week of Phase 1,
    one week of Phase 2,
    one week of Phase 1,
    one week of Phase 2
    and then one week of the Rest routine.

Caveat, I have been working out for most of my adult life in one way or another and I am familiar with a lot of the material, and have a good working knowledge of nutrition. I've stuided Yoga and I also have trained in martial arts for about 30 years (4th dan in Kenpo).

P90X is a GREAT routine, the abs routine is the best I have ever done.
  • sandy429
    sandy429 Posts: 2,779 Member
    Options
    I disagree a bit with Mark & WTJoyce.

I actually feel that Beachbody should have never made a Lean option; it's too confusing for some. It was put into the program because some people (mainly women) thought they would get bulky with three days of strength training, so they developed the Lean program and took out Plyo & one day of weights. Women cannot get bulky because we don't have the testosterone to make it happen naturally. Those women body builders you see have had some artificial assistance. I'm in my 4th round, I lift heavy in the 8-10 rep range, and I'm not the least bit bulky. In fact, my body fat is in the single digits. Muscle burns fat, plain and simple. Do the Classic version, and you won't be disappointed.

As far as your nutrition goes, it's true that you don't have to follow the guide letter by letter. It has meal plans and recipes that I have never used. However, it does have valuable info regarding why you need to eat clean, what kinds of foods you should eat, and what carb/protein/fat ratios you should strive for. It lays out the different diet phases, and that's what I follow. I use MFP to do all of the adding, but I have my goals set up according to the P90X Nutrition Plan.

So again, order both books and read them thoroughly. Good luck!
  • LivyJo
    LivyJo Posts: 355 Member
    Options

I actually feel that Beachbody should have never made a Lean option; it's too confusing for some. It was put into the program because some people (mainly women) thought they would get bulky with three days of strength training, so they developed the Lean program and took out Plyo & one day of weights. Women cannot get bulky because we don't have the testosterone to make it happen naturally. Those women body builders you see have had some artificial assistance. I'm in my 4th round, I lift heavy in the 8-10 rep range, and I'm not the least bit bulky. In fact, my body fat is in the single digits. Muscle burns fat, plain and simple. Do the Classic version, and you won't be disappointed.

As far as your nutrition goes, it's true that you don't have to follow the guide letter by letter. It has meal plans and recipes that I have never used. However, it does have valuable info regarding why you need to eat clean, what kinds of foods you should eat, and what carb/protein/fat ratios you should strive for. It lays out the different diet phases, and that's what I follow. I use MFP to do all of the adding, but I have my goals set up according to the P90X Nutrition Plan.

I am really glad that they did come out with the Lean, because my knees could not handle the Classic. The jumping around is still hard, but there is no way I could do the Plyo, and its nice to have an alternative w/o out it.

***By the way! I want to TJ Maxx today, and they have Everlast Pull Up door frame bars for $24, and the push up bars for $10. So glad I hadn't ordered them yet!! :drinker:
  • tep77
    tep77 Posts: 5
    Options

My husband has really bad knees and just had surgery on one last year, so LEAN works for him. He is still getting ripped and losing weight. He would have never done P90X without the lean version. So it's not just for us "women who don't want to bulk up." Lots of people use Lean for their own personal reasons and it okay. And you can still lift heavy with lean.