how do YOU stop yourself from bingeing?

Options
some ideas on how you stop yourself bingeing would be wonderful?

this is such a terrible habit which i cannot seem to break HELP?! :(

Replies

• EvelynForsyth
    EvelynForsyth Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    I tend to overeat midlessly ALOT in the evenings when im home alone *sob* so have devised a plan which is working for me. eat my dinner and then save 100 - 150 cals for a nighttime snack which is a total treat. Last night i had Dr Pepper Zero over ice with a cup of red grapes and a 95 calorie Cadbury's chocolate bar. By the time i'd drunk my Dr Pepper and had my grapes i didn't feel like eating the chocolate but it was nice to know it was still there.
    I found it helps me to know that i am getting a treat and that it fits in my calories. Instead of denying myself i am trying to take control of what i eat and my portions. I also try not to keep ice cream/crisps/sweets/bicsuits in the house! eep!
    Hope that helps anyway!
  • samandlucysmum
    Options
    I don't....I go with the flow, then I am ready to refocus, and get going again.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    I spread my calories out over the course of the day (yes including my exercise calories) so that I never have a chance to feel hungry enough to binge... I even go to bed each night around 10 p.m. with 30 almonds and a big glass of 1% chocolate milk....
  • zombilishious
    zombilishious Posts: 1,250 Member
    Options
    I find that with dieting, I need a little extra fiber to, you know, do what the body gotta do. And I've got a horrible sweet tooth. So I build into my daily macros either a Fiber One brownie or a dark chocolate granola thin. I eat it very, very slowly. If I feel like I want another one, I make a cup of tea. My current favorite is a green tea flavored with pomegranate, acai and blueberries. By the time I've finished my tea, I find I'm satisfied.
  • Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Options
    How do you binge and where?
  • shellulrich
    Options
    i have this prob also. it's hard. I guess i have to remind myself its only a craving and it will pass, it will last around ten minutes and it's so intense. i dont need it, i dont need it. I have tried making a cup of tea or coffee, leaving the room. saying 'no' to the actual food item. Sounds weird but it can be empowering to tell what you're craving you will not give in. it's good to keep things like grapes or whatever in the fridge to eat instead, if i eat heaps of grapes instead of the offending food i desperately want even if i fill up on them i wont feel too bad that i have eaten so many. This is prob only helpful for dealing with cravings then bingeing specifically. maybe look up the calorie content, fats, sugars how long it would take to burn off if you ate them, knowing that stuff can help it not look so attractive. if it's gonna take you 2hrs to burn off ur brain switches on and knows it's not worth it. Sometimes i try to think of my body as a factory, needing certain things and junk food as garbage or stuff that really my body doesnt need to be efficient. also try not to get to the point with your dieting that ur really really hungry. i eat a lettuce salad three times a day and drink green tea with lemon juice in it as a snack. A bit of lettuce with some olive oil and salt and pepper isnt bland enough to get very sick of eating, and i try to feel good about myself for maintaining i eat this as a snack so the temptation to binge isnt as bad when i feel good about myself. try eating an an apple when your craving, if your really not hungry you wont finish it, the realisation ur not that hungry curbs the urge for me a bit. I hope this helps. i know how hard it is. if you think ur binging is triggered my any emotional things like u feel like crap there are some things you can do to try to feel better, small victories. And of course, if you find you've given in, dont beat yourself up. just get back on the horse and try again the next day. drinking tea cuz it;s hot i think it can trick your brain or body into thinking your eating soemthing. distractions and a tea. dont go to the shops if you feel cravings.. baaaad move :)
  • shellulrich
    Options
    also everytime you have a craving and you reach for a healthy option, tell yourself how good you are, how strong willed and focused you are. lay on the self love it will help build your willpower and wen you have cravings if you can think about how good you felt when you didnt succumb it all helps.
  • lilojoke
    lilojoke Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    When I overeat I overeat then get back on plan its not a loss or anything that most may think it is. What one person may think is a binge is simply a snack for another person. In my earlier days I could eat a whole loaf of bread with a jar of peanut butter in about an hour. I did not feel guilty a whole lot because it was a snap to get back on track.

If you think about it binge eating was a regular part of our ancestors BUT the only difference is they rarely ate IE they gorged on a meal then did not eat for many hours if not days. Today thats a bit different where we got no shortage of food!

The best thing to do when you get off track is to pretend nothing happened and keep on going fresh with your next meal.
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    How do you binge and where?

Either at work or home.

I work in a fast food restaurant and will bring my own food with me but give in and eat "oh just a bit of that" and that and that.
    I will make myself a massive meal and then regret it afterwards :/
    At home seems the only thing I binge on is bread, after 8pm. Never before!
    I will start by making myself one piece of toast, but then two, then three, and four and five.. I can never stop with bread.. I would love to not have it in the house but I live with my mum so makes it a bit hard...
  • wewon
    wewon Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    I have a cheat day. I do accept that fact that cravings will always be there.

Personally, I find that when I want to binge it seems to be for something in particular (sweets, salt, fried foods, ect) and if I let myself go at it on a cheat day that the binges stay more under control.
  • timbowatts79
    Options
    Keep trying, keep persevering, an old habit can take time to change. Or, read Anthony Robbins book "Awaken The Giant Within" - he gives the reader tools for breaking long standing, destructive habits. He talks about linking enough pain to the habit, that you would find it utterly disgusting to ever binge again, and linking enough pleasure to forming a new healthy habit.

You could also try EFT (emotional freedom techniques): www.emofree.com there are usually mental/emotional reasons to the overeating, that can be minimised using psychological tools.

Depending on your faith, praying to your Creator for help in this area specifically, will no doubt help!

Never, ever, give up!
  • Zichu
    Zichu Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    If I having cravings, I will get the thing I think I want to eat, sit down and keep repeating, "Do I really want this?". It's like your brain hasn't been told that this isn't what it wants. You have reassure yourself that you don't want it.

I'm not saying it's not OK to indulge, but sometimes you really don't want it even though your stomach does lol. I get enough protein and fiber throughout the day, but it doesn't stop me from craving something lol.

I plan ahead and make sure I have enough calories and macro's left for something I might enjoy. I don't go overboard and pig out, I have a small portion and leave it at that. My cravings for something sweet usually goes away.
  • timbowatts79
    Options
    Yep - the temptation will always come and go, much like any other destructive habit. Tell yourself something like this:

"I know I will be tempted to overeat, it will always be there, however, I know it is only a temptation, and I don't have to give in to it today"

Hope that helps.
  • kiwi1855
    kiwi1855 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I plan every day in advance, and then before I eat something extra, I log it and "complete" the day. If what I want to eat isn't worth the difference in the "If every day was like today...", I don't eat it. Sometimes it is (homemade chocolate zucchini cake) and sometimes it isn't (crappy quality donut).
  • BartsGurl
    BartsGurl Posts: 19
    Options
    Dear BeautyFromPai,
    You're so brave to talk about this. I can relate to the one piece of toast, then two, then three.... Sometimes I'll eat a PBJ sandwich and it just doesn't satisfy and--against all reason--I need another. There's been lots of great posts so far, but I just want to add my experience. First, and most importantly, just don't take the first bite. Seriously. That's the hardest part, obviously, but for me once it's in my mouth I am a total goner. Breads & sweet cakes & cookies are my biggest downfall, but I can binge on just about anything if I'm trying to fill the void inside me. Second thought: I hear you saying sometimes you'll make a great big meal, so this implies a little bit of pre-meditated overeating. That's more of a mental thing than a craving thing. Someone suggested talking about it and I find that sometimes helps. I might say to myself, "Oh, hello there, Binge Craving. Yes, I feel you there and I can see where you want me to go with this. Maybe I will and maybe I won't." All that does is make me pause a minute and confront it head on. The craving is real, so I don't think it's helpful to ignore it, but it is helpful to acknowledge it and then then take a minute to have a little stand off. Last thought: you might want to check your area for an OA meeting. That's been really helpful for me in figuring out why I eat the way I do. Again, these are just my personal thoughts and what works for me...Good luck, sweetie!
  • Hambone23
    Hambone23 Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    I'm slowly getting control of this. I find I want to binge if I don't eat enough of my calories for the day. I know people want to lose weight as fast as possible, but I do much better setting my loss at 1 lb. a week (I often lose more by the end of the month) and eating up most of my higher calorie allotment. (If you're exercising, make sure you're eating back enough cals to make up for what you're losing so you don't end up under cals and feeling deprived.) Sometimes I don't need to eat all my calories, but on hungry days, I do. If I truly want to binge, I know I'm not eating or drinking enough. So, vegetable newbie that I am, I try to fill up on a lot of vegetables now, good doses of protein and good fats (pb, fish, canned fish, etc.), and fiber (like cereal) besides vegetables. If I need a mental "sweet" fix, I pick Jello Sugar Free Double Chocolate Pudding cups. Very calorie reasonable. In fact, last week my boyfriend and I gave into a "binge"--we ate a mini watermelon. If you stick with cleaner eating, your taste buds do change as do your cravings. But if you must have pizza or chocolate, allow yourself some within a reasonable portion. I'll get a personal pizza so I'm not tempted to overdo it. Or I get some dark chocolate and dip in it PB. Chocolate almond milk is also awesome since it gives you so much nutrition in low cal form, and it the sweetened version (a little higher in calories) tastes just like chocolate milk. There are ways to smartly "binge." Strawberries or grapefruit with a sprinkling of sugar also works for me. And limes with a touch of salt get my salty/sour cravings. I guess I'm saying if you feel the need to binge, binge smartly.
  • jbakerak
    jbakerak Posts: 76
    Options
    I'm not sure if I binge (not sure what EXACTLY that can entail), but I have my days where I seem to be a lot hungrier. If I'm hungry, I eat. I try to always wait at least 15 to 20 minutes after eating something to see if I'm still hungry, and if I am I still choose healthy. I might end up eating a variety of food like yogurt, string cheese, cereal and then tuna with crackers or something (which is a lot!), but I fulfill my hunger. I could reach for the macaroni or a hamburger or even some pizza, but then I would end up consuming a WAY larger mass of calories and fat. This way I eat when I'm hungry, fill myself even if I'm having a hungry day or moment and satisfy my cravings. I figure if I'm that hungry (especially after eating better and proportioned meals and snacks for so long), my body needs the food. Probably for my muscles and stuff from exercise.
  • Cheryl1018
    Options
    If it is at night (which is my usual time to inhale food), I brush my teeth and use minty mouthwash! Chips and cookies don't taste very good after that. At work I try to have a granola bar or some fruit.
  • danifo0811
    danifo0811 Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    I have two issues...

overeating is related to oppertunity and/ or poor food planning/timing for the day. For this it is relatively easy and I just have to make the effort to plan. Some foods we don't have in the house. However, DH and my kids easily follow 80% healthy/20% junk and have no food issues so I don't really want to impose mine on them.

binging is harder for me because it isn't food related. binging for me is either emotional due to stress or related to lack of sleep. My
    main focus here is just getting enough sleep. Sleep also makes dealing with life stresses easier.

I have just started counting my binge free days which helps too.
  • Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Options
    Do you have your meals planned out? Is it giving you your needs?

My guys never snack when dieting because they never get to the stage where they are hungry enough to binge. Seems to me you're diet is not set up right...

EDIT
    Just checked. Its your meals you eat. Lots of sugary or simple carbs or refined flour. You are getting blood glucose crashes followed by massive hunger issues due to insulin release.