Q&A: BEST Way (In Your Opinion) to Break a Plateau

Options
In your opinion, what is the best way (or the way that worked best for you) to break out of a plateau?

--> change up the workout routine
--> increase your calorie intake
--> modify your diet
--> something else entirely that worked great for you!
--> patience and dedication :)

I know there are a million answers to this question, but I love hearing what everyone has to say :)

Replies

• meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    i haven't plateaud yet and hopefully i never will, but the thing i noticed about people who plateau is that they do the same things in almost exactly the same ways for months and months.

they eat the same foods, use the same exercise machines, go to the same exercise classes.

id thonk the best way to break it is to never get into one and always be ADD about your routine
  • chelseaalicia
    chelseaalicia Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Being imaginative and open minded is my strategy thus far- making a conscious effort to incorporate lots of different types of exercise and being adventurous (yet picky!) with food.
  • TonyStark30
    TonyStark30 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    i haven't plateaud yet and hopefully i never will, but the thing i noticed about people who plateau is that they do the same things in almost exactly the same ways for months and months.

they eat the same foods, use the same exercise machines, go to the same exercise classes.

id thonk the best way to break it is to never get into one and always be ADD about your routine

Yup most plateaus you are doing the same thing, but in reality you are either, not counting food exactly, or in reality you're not burning the calories you thought. So your weight stays the same until you do something to change this.

Some people say Up your calories, I would say thats a last resort, you just have to make sure there is a deficit again.
  • LauraSmyth28
    LauraSmyth28 Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    Don't count calories for a few days. I have been stuck for a couple of months now, I took last weekend off....and started back counting calories and working out this week. I've already lost a lb. 1lb to me is huge, because I don't have much left to lose.

Worked for me. Helped with my mindset too.
  • ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options
    Eat at maintenance for a week, and then start again with a 20% deficit.
  • hermiony
    hermiony Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    what has helped me is to do somethign different. when it stops working just try something new. low cal, low carb,low fat,loads of exercise, fasting, break days just try everything and keep at it while it works, when it stops working then try another thing. right now im doing intermittent fasting and sprinting and it has broke my 2 week plateau but im sure my body will get used to this as well and then i have to try something else!
  • BazAbroad
    BazAbroad Posts: 248
    Options
    Lol, stop thinking I know better and start following the advice and what I have learned along the way.
    That means going back to cardio, cardio cardio,,,, and stop hitting the weights too much.
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    Beer and pizza. One evening of indulgence always shows up on the scales and seems trigger a return to a downward trend when I return to normal healthy eating!
  • popsical101
    Options
    Personally I had to eat more and up my calories I wasnt eating enough only upped by 100 but it worked lost aroubd a pound a week these last 3
  • kyle4jem
    kyle4jem Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    I've not plateaued as such, but I've had a couple of weeks where my weight has maintained. I usually find it starts to drop again after I've had a bit of a binge-fest and eaten about 2700-3000 Calories for a few days which is around maintenance for my current weight, like this week :happy:
  • scatgash
    scatgash Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • jbakerak
    jbakerak Posts: 76
    Options
    I took out most breads from my diet, (was eating quite a bit even though they were whole grain), still eat them, just not all the time. I also added heavy weight lifting. So far so good, lost about 2 lbs a week so far. I might gain some back from the lifting or I might not, but I'm losing inches too.