my shins hurt

Options
2»

Replies

• ColinQ
    ColinQ Posts: 76
    Options
    :laugh: Just need to take a towel to dry off:ohwell:

My elasticated shin supports are like tubigrip. Its basically like a stretchy knee support but shaped for the calf and lower leg. Its like wearing really tight high socks:laugh:
    Probably similar to the ones you buy to prevent deep vein thrombosis on planes. but tighter and with no feet:wink:

My shins hurt again this morning on my run, but I went for a longer run yesterday probably about 4 miles:sick:
  • Amy_B
    Amy_B Posts: 2,323 Member
    Options
    Could it be time for new shoes? When I first started jogging, I was wearing old running shoes and had bad shin splints. I ended up getting a new pair of shoes and haven't had any problems since.
  • SherryRH
    SherryRH Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    :laugh: Just need to take a towel to dry off:ohwell:

My elasticated shin supports are like tubigrip. Its basically like a stretchy knee support but shaped for the calf and lower leg. Its like wearing really tight high socks:laugh:
    Probably similar to the ones you buy to prevent deep vein thrombosis on planes. but tighter and with no feet:wink:

My shins hurt again this morning on my run, but I went for a longer run yesterday probably about 4 miles:sick:

Colin, take some time off from running and let it heal. Do your stretches and strengthening exercises and do some cross training. If you don't give your shins time to rest you will end up majorly hurt. Trust me, I know. I am recovering from tendonitis in my shin and I am just getting back to running after 3 long months. I let the pain go to the point that I thought I had a stress fracture. I walked with a limp for 3 weeks while I was trying to get a diagnosis. I have been doing physical therapy for 5 weeks now and I can only run 2 miles without pain. Make sure you are only increasing your distance by 10% each week too. Get your shoes checked too. Good luck and let us know how you make out.
  • ColinQ
    ColinQ Posts: 76
    Options
    I took 5 days off from running and started again this morning, my legs felt fine and I managed to shave a minute off my time:bigsmile:
    I only run 1.5 miles and when I started 4 weeks ago I was doing it in 15 minutes over the weeks I have now managed to get that to 12 minutes.
    I do feel a little disappointed with my time, because I know when i was in the Army I could do that distance in 8.5 - 9 minutes depending how i felt.. But I'm being hard on myself because that was 20 years ago and I'm 50 now:noway: :cry: Where does it go:ohwell:
    I tend to live in the past sometimes:ohwell: