What is a good brand of kitchen scales?

Options
SSAHM
SSAHM Posts: 172 Member
Im looking to buy a good set of digital kitchen scales. (my cheap needle point one just doesnt cut it lol)
i want it to weight really acurate and show mg aswell if possible.
Any input would be appreciated!!!

Replies

• RisiM
    RisiM Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I have got Salter, they do single gram increases + liquid measurement, only complaint is that if you put a large plate on them you can't read the display, so think of that before you buy. Plenty on Amazon, or Argos if you're in UK
  • mfp_1
    mfp_1 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    grannyiris wrote:
    ... liquid measurement

All digital scales do the liquid measurement trick. The trick is to assume that 1 gram is 1 ml of liquid. It's only true for water where the density is 1 g/ml. Everything else has a different density so the trick produces an error. If you use the trick, you have to accept the error.

For cream and many common liquids, the error's within 5%. For ice cream, the error is within 10%. Yogurt is somewhere between the two.

For honey and syrup, the error extends to 40% but you'd probably want weight measures for that anyway.

It's a neat trick which you can do with any scale. Just measure the gram value and call it ml. Scales that say they do the trick have simply been designed to replace 'g' with 'ml' on the display. Simples.
  • ttaylor68913
    ttaylor68913 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    http://www.target.com/p/Taylor-Kitchen-Scale-Gray-11-lb/-/A-10129916 this is the one i used in culinary school and the one I had on my wedding registry.(that i have yet to get)
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    I like Tanita scales for both weighing myself and weighing food.
  • BruteSquad
    BruteSquad Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I am a man and I am so full of manly power I can tell how much things weigh just by looking at them.....

But seriously, I couldn't tell you the brand I have, had it for some time now and it weighs in grams, oz, lbs, kg although I almost always use oz.

The only consideration that I would make has already been mentioned. If you put a plate on a smaller scale, without a remote view, it can be difficult to see the actual weight, then you accidentally think it is 4 oz and it is 4 lbs and you have to post about plateauing and you say yes I am weighing my food, and then someone will recommend the only cabbage and oranges diet and you will end up with a slightly orange tint to your skin.

Sometimes I entertain myself.
  • stef827
    stef827 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Im looking to buy a good set of digital kitchen scales. (my cheap needle point one just doesnt cut it lol)
    Any input would be appreciated!!!

I agree, I don't care much for my needlepoint. Seems like I'm guessing a lot. Just cant afford a digital right now.
  • 81Katz
    81Katz Posts: 7,074 Member
    Options
    Bought mine at walmart, it's the Mainstays brand I think. Digital. About $20, a little under actually.
    measures in ounces, grams, kilograms and pounds (weighs up to 10lbs)
  • mfp_1
    mfp_1 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    SSAHM wrote:

Almost all modern digital kitchen scales have:
    * 1 gram precision
    * tare (add&weigh)
    * capacity of 3 kg

Features that you can find easily are:
    * Capacity of 5 kg
    * Large digits
    * Large plaform
    * Small height (so it fits in a drawer)
    * Shows grams on the display as 'ml'. You can do this in your head if it hasn't got the feature.

Don't get one with a jug or a bowl. You're just paying extra for less flexibility.

I found these for AU $8.99:
    http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/300491572685?hlp=false
    It seems a remarkable price. I'd expect a budget of AU $30. For example:
    http://www.everten.com.au/Avanti-Digital-Kitchen-Scales-White.html

If you want precision of 0.1 gram, you pay more, lose capacity at the top end, and lose platform size. For example:
    http://www.buyster.com.au/asp/show_detail.asp?sku=BEU1011&refid=FR49-BEU1011
    http://www.everten.com.au/Soenhle-Ultra-Scales.html

I haven't looked for anything with precision better than 0.1 gram

Hope that helps.
  • _HeathBar_
    _HeathBar_ Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    I have one by Cusineart, I like it because it displays both grams and ounces. It also has a removable plate that's easy to wash after I weight things like meat.
  • warmachinejt
    warmachinejt Posts: 2,167 Member
    Options
    I have the EatSmart one from amazon. It's like $25 for the one with the most star reviewers.
  • savvystephy
    savvystephy Posts: 4,151 Member
    Options
    I have the EatSmart one from amazon. It's like $25 for the one with the most star reviewers.

I like this one too. EatSmart is a great company too as if it breaks within one year and you call them up, they'll send you a new one free of charge. :smile: I love their person scale too!
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    EatSmart from amazon.
  • rchambers2072
    rchambers2072 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Bump as I need one too!