I'M NEW! ...count calories burned on elliptical or in mfp?

Options
Hey everyone,
I am fairly new to MFP. I've been doing this for a couple of weeks now. The first week I started, I was traveling for work and ate too many calories from eating food my company provided. That was not a good plan!! :) But, last week was my first full week. I have some questions being a newbie.

MFP suggests that I NET 1300 calories a day. I am cutting out about 200 calories out of my normal 1800 cal diet and burning about 300 cals when I work out. Does everyone think this sounds right? healthy?

I've been doing interval training on the elliptical for maximum results. I didn't lose a pound my first week, but I do feel better. Question though--should I be intering the # of calories the elliptical says I burned or the number of calories MFP says I am burning? MFP is quite a bit higher, but seems like it takes my height and weight into consideration. But MFP doesn't know how fast I was going, etc. The elliptical doesn't know my height, age, weight, etc. Which is more accurate??

When I do 35 minutes on the elliptical, the machine says i burn about 330 calories. When I enter that into MFP, it says I burned 378. I am 5'7"...159 lbs today, 28 years. Goal weight = 140!!

Replies

• rororoni
    rororoni Posts: 5
    Options
    Anyone?
  • Ittybitty22
    Ittybitty22 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    um i count the machine unless the excercisie don't show the wk out than i use their estimate
  • ejohndrow
    ejohndrow Posts: 1,399 Member
    Options
    I use the number the machine gives, and when I actually watch my caloric intake properly it all works out for me.
  • elelat
    elelat Posts: 117
    Options
    I always use the amount that the machine tells me. I like that is really counts my pace and heart rate, and my poor logic suggests that is more accurate than age and measurements. And most of the time when I get to the computer I dont remember the units of the amount of calories burned. So I count a round number that is always less than the real thing. For this things I personally think that is better to underestimate.
    Good luck with MFP, you will love it!
  • CaseRat
    CaseRat Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    In reality 48 calories isn't going to make much of a difference. Split the difference and go for around 350. The best way to work out your real burn is to get yourself a heart rate monitor, because both those estimates could be wrong.

If anything, I'd recommend you net 1400-1500 and you'll still see steady weight loss.
    Would also recommend you start lifting weights! They'll help give you your ideal body and drop the last few pounds :)
  • chocciechip
    chocciechip Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I'd go with the machine - but that's because there's always a big difference in mine as I turn the resistance up high or put it on the ' x training' setting.
  • LinzCurlyQ
    LinzCurlyQ Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    In reality 48 calories isn't going to make much of a difference. Split the difference and go for around 350. The best way to work out your real burn is to get yourself a heart rate monitor, because both those estimates could be wrong.

If anything, I'd recommend you net 1400-1500 and you'll still see steady weight loss.
    Would also recommend you start lifting weights! They'll help give you your ideal body and drop the last few pounds :)

I started lifting 4-6 times a week about 2 months ago, and it has made the biggest difference. It is also much more fun than spending hours on the treadmill/elliptical :)
  • rororoni
    rororoni Posts: 5
    Options
    thanks everyone!

i agree that the machines aren't the only way to go. i do pilates 3x a week already, which is hardcore abs. I need to have someone walk me around the gym to show me some good weight lifting exercises because i am clueless about that!
  • Koshkaxo
    Koshkaxo Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    there are many good videos on youtube that explain how to use gym machines or weight training. just make sure you cross reference with other sources to make sure theyre accurate.
  • Cherp18
    Cherp18 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I use the elliptical numbers. I don't eat back my calories (most days) but I'm new also so that may change. Best wishes :)
  • lls0521
    lls0521 Posts: 13
    Options
    Use the machines figures. Also mix up your workouts. You also need strength Training too. It will help with max. calorie burn. I alternate gym day with strength training days at home as well as walking and cycling in the evening at home. Have fun.
  • ash190489
    ash190489 Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    Definitely buy your own Heart Rate Monitor (HRM). It's way more accurate then the machine and MFP estimates. HRM don't cost that much and are definitely worth while if you're serious (or in my case - obsessed). I was also suggest buying a 'good quality' one... spend a little extra and get a well known brand, like POLAR.

If you don't want to spend the money, I would use the machine's estimation, however I find that the difference between my HRM and machine can be very different... the machine seems to get to approx 100 calories, and then I look at my heart rate monitor and it's only on 90 calories or so...

Good luck, stick with it & have fun! You can do it, and the proof is all the success I see on MFP every single day and in your own results! :smile:
  • TrinNZ
    TrinNZ Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    :happy:
    Hi there! I highly recommend a heartrate monitor. Mine lets you put in your age and sex and there is a calorie counter on there. It is really helpful! I just picked it up from Walmart. The cheapest i've seen are aout $50 so not cheap but worth it. Then you can record your calories burned and find out if you are working in your "zone", even if you are just going for a walk or playing a game of tennis or something.

I have P90x which I am going to start up again soon but what i'm really into at the moment is Zumba! It's such a fun workout (if you enjoy dancing, which I REALLY do!) and you burn a heap of calories. To start I was burning over 1000cals in a 1 hour class. I've been going about 3-4 times a week for the past few weeks and I'm down to burning 750-900cals...which just means i'm getting my fitness up. LOVE IT! Eliptical training though is a wonderful workout, just remember you have to get your heart rate elevated and keep it up for 20mins to really start burning major cals and to kick your metabolism into gear.

Strength training is very important but just remember that proper form is KEY. Make sure you get a trainer (most gyms are happy to show you how to use their equipment, in fact, it should be part of their service) to show you how to correctly perform the moves on the machines, or the weight bearing exercises (squats, lunges etc) so that you get the full benefit of the exercise and don't injure yourself. I speak from personal experience here....make sure you are doing the exercise correctly! And don't be afraid to lift/push/pull heavy weights. You will see far better results if you can do 12-15 reps and be struggling with the last 5 than if you choose a lighter weight and can easily do the reps. Push yourself and you will see results.

Best of luck with your fitness goals....stick with it! And as Tony Horton (creator of P90x) says...Do Your Best and Forget The Rest!
  • katlynx6
    katlynx6 Posts: 68
    Options
    Personally I always go with the machine's estimate over MFP's - however the machines I use do take weight and age into account as well as my resistance & speed, which I think is important! Like someone else mentioned, perhaps try splitting the difference between the two!

I personally lost 15ish pounds just using the elliptical and burning ~300 calories every time. Then I hit a plateau for months (ugh) and started strength training as well and it made a huge difference! I was super intimidated at first because I had no idea what I was doing (I'm still learning) but I'm so glad I added strength training. I'm sure someone at your gym would be happy to show you around!!

Good luck! :smile:
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    Definitely buy your own Heart Rate Monitor (HRM). It's way more accurate then the machine and MFP estimates. HRM don't cost that much and are definitely worth while if you're serious (or in my case - obsessed). I was also suggest buying a 'good quality' one... spend a little extra and get a well known brand, like POLAR.

If you don't want to spend the money, I would use the machine's estimation, however I find that the difference between my HRM and machine can be very different... the machine seems to get to approx 100 calories, and then I look at my heart rate monitor and it's only on 90 calories or so...

Good luck, stick with it & have fun! You can do it, and the proof is all the success I see on MFP every single day and in your own results! :smile:

^This.
  • Alpine005
    Alpine005 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Just use the machine.
  • _HeathBar_
    _HeathBar_ Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    I've actually found MFP's elliptical calories pretty accurate for me. I use a Polar FT4 to track my calories burned during exercise and MFP's estimate is usually only 10-50 calories off (depending on the length of the workout)

Other workouts in the MFP database are wildly inaccurate but this one is pretty spot on.
  • 81Katz
    81Katz Posts: 7,074 Member
    Options
    Ditto the heart rate monitor. I am loving my PolarFT4. It's crazy how off MFP is and also the counters on the exercise equip. I've had a low count yet my HRM was higher, or a high count yet my HRM was lower. I trust my HRM over the machine or the MFP calculations.

edit, my HRM has a chest strap. That's the way to go, avoid those wrist watch counters. JUNK!