Why can't I run?

Options
I've been exercising for a while now and have progressed from running on the stop with the Wii to using a treadmill and I seem to do ok, i'm now running for 20 minutes without too much strain or effort. I've been wanting to run on the road for some time & last week I took the plunge. Well I have to say I really struggled and wasn't able to run for longer than a few minutes at a time & my legs found it really hard going. In fact i struggled so much I ended up ill for the rest of the day and I'd only managed to run outside for 20 mins tops. I weigh about 151 and don't have any health problems (that I know of), I do have large breasts (now a FF cup) but I had a good fitting running bra so I don't think that was the problem. Does anyone know why this happened & what I did wrong? Any ideas anyone, or does this happen to everyone on their first trip out?? Help I really want to continue with this :frown:

Replies

• ingies2011
    ingies2011 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    If you have used a treadmill go back to the treadmill and put it on an incline when you run, of around 1.5 to 2 degrees, that more accurately reflects the wind resistance and road running. Maybe try that and then try running outside again.
  • Siannah
    Siannah Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Maybe try using an App like Couch to 5k?

It really helped me, I found it very helpful to have someone in my ear telling me what to do, it definitely pushed me to go longer than I would've done otherwise.
    Oh, and make sure to have some good upbeat music playing!
  • jcpmoore
    jcpmoore Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    Running on pavement is also much harder on the feet, too. Do you have access to a track nearby? Maybe there's a high school where you could use theirs? That might ease the transition when you're ready to try again.

I am proud of you for working so hard to be able to run on the treadmill. That's my biggest goal for weight loss-to be able to run. I'd be thrilled to make it three minutes at this point. I have a long way to go. Keep trying!

good luck
  • briggsy13
    briggsy13 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I've been running 3 miles a day for almost 2 months on the treadmill. Ran a 5k on Saturday and was sore!!!! Everyone says that its harder on the treadmill but I found the opposite. At least because I hadn't run outside for months!!! I have changed the incline on mine to hopefully make the transition easier next time.
  • JulesATL
    JulesATL Posts: 1
    Options
    The Couch to 5K plan is great. I have a friend who literally went from couch to 5K and is still running a year later. My knees don't allow me to run, but I do try to walk at a very brisk pace for at least 30 mins a few days a week.
  • dorkynerd
    dorkynerd Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I agree with the first person. Running outside is different then on treadmill. I'm a new runner so I don't claim to know it all, but I started running outside. Its been 9 weeks ago that I started with Couch to 5K. Anyways, point being, I used a treadmill for the first time last week. I was surprised at how easy it was for me to do 2 miles. (running outs 3 miles is my top, right now) You have to consider that the surface where your running outside isn 't level all the time. Plus the wind. I am working on building my strength..so I am using the elliptical and treadmill on incline to do so.

Hope this helps! You can do this!!!
  • tnorth82
    tnorth82 Posts: 186
    Options
    Im the same, I can not run on pavement/concrete or even hard soil/grass. I really feel it in my knees and ankles.
    I might try the incline tip too!
  • nolakris
    nolakris Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Road running is a lot different than treadmill running. It uses more muscles and is tougher on your feet, ankles and knees. Once you build up though, your feet, ankles and knees will be stronger. I highly recommend the couch to 5k program, it really helps. I love running outdoors so much more than on the "dreadmill."
  • Bmontgomery613
    Bmontgomery613 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I've had the same problem and the answer my friends who are runners gave is that the treadmill is much easier to run on for a couple of reasons. 1. The treadmill gives you automatic momentum. Whether you run or not, the belt keeps going so you get extra speed. And, 2. There is more spring in the treadmill to absorb the shock on your body than when you run on the road. I've had to slow my pace way down on the road in order to last the 90 seconds for the couch to 5K program that I'm doing.

Don't give up! You will get there. :)
  • MysteriousWays
    MysteriousWays Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Did you get fitted for the right shoes? The correct shoes can make all the difference.

When I started running about 6 years ago (I'm 40 now) I did it all wrong. I would go from a walk to a full on sprint and peter out 30 seconds later. I ended up giving up thinking I was too fat, too asthmatic, too anything to run. Then one day I took it slow and steady. I'm not even sure if what I was doing could be called running, it was more shuffling. I concentrated hard on my breathing. Slow deep breaths. I chewed gum to help me breath correctly. Slowly and steadily - I got stronger and faster.

In March 2010, I ran my first 5K during a Nor'easter. In May 2010, I ran my first half marathon. In April 2011, I ran the Boston marathon. Now, I was not fast - but I finished.

People say, 'I could never run a marathon'. All you need is the desire to do it and patience to train your body. Good luck and don't give up!
  • Squidgeypaws007
    Squidgeypaws007 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    Had exactly the same issue - went from using the Wii for the jogging thing, to trying to run outside (thinking at the time it couldn't be any different!) and got my *kitten* kicked, lol.

This time I used the C25K plan to help build up my running outside, and got to say, it's hard but totally worth it - and if you're fit enough to run for 20 mins on a treadmill it would be easy going for you :)
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    Also, on a treadmill, you set how fast you are going while running outside, you don't have a set pace and it's likely that you were running too fast.
  • dandy_girl
    dandy_girl Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I started running again this past Fall. I did the C25K program, and since I live in Minnesota- I spent the Winter working on my running indoors. We've had an early Spring (and a trip to Florida) so I have been able to run outside now for a few weeks. It was/is a LOT harder. But the first thing I noticed was that I was running a lot faster outside. I try to hold myself back and slow down, and that seems to work! I also live in a hilly area, so those 3 miles are a lot tougher. Hang in there, and keep trying!
  • Articeluvsmemphis
    Articeluvsmemphis Posts: 1,987 Member
    Options
    pace control. you're more than likely going quicker on the road than the treadmill
  • fyfi_fendir
    fyfi_fendir Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Totally agree with what was said. I could run 30 minutes with the Wii but couldn't do more than a minute outside. Thing is running in one place (and treadmill is essentially similar) doesn't take as much effort as moving forward. You really have to move the weight in a certain direction... center of gravity is different. I did the C25K outside and now can run outside without problem. Read many people that said that if you plan to run outside, you shouldn't do the C25K on the treadmill because it is way harder on normal ground. You hardly find a 0% incline outside...
  • NateDad
    NateDad Posts: 55
    Options
    As everyone else said - it's harder to run outside than on a treadmill. You're actually having to propel yourself forward, it's not always flat and even, and it's significantly higher impact. Also, the speed thing is key. Next time you try it... run a lot slower than you think you should. It should feel almost painfully slow. Don't worry about how it looks to anyone else... to most people, anyone jogging outside looks like a pro-athlete. Now, do your normal run length at that slow pace. See how it goes. If you can, find a route that you know the length of, and time yourself, so you can figure out how fast you're going. I bet you'll find you're going faster than you think.
  • SLynnConner
    Options
    I haven't read through all the posts so I'm not sure if someone already mentioned this...but, make sure you're really stretching and hydrating. I used to never stretch (thinking it wouldn't make a difference) and it makes ALL the difference from day to day. Take the time to stretch really well right before and after your run.

I swam in high school and have never been much of a runner...I'm finally finding a love for running but somedays I feel like I can run nonstop and I'll go about 6 or 7 miles, then other days I feel like I can't go another step after running 2 or 3.

For myself, I have found that when I haven't properly hydrated the day before, I crap out!

Hope this helps! :)
  • Fit4Evolution
    Fit4Evolution Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    when you are on a treadmill there is no forward push.. litterally the belt moves under your feet at whatever speed you set it at .. so there is no pushing forward with your quads .. i did notice i felt like a lead weight when i started running on pavement . the benefit to the treadmill is you get better wind and expand your lung capacity , you do get to workout your calf muscles and you do get a great workout. just hang in there and get out on the pavement whenever you can.
  • JBApplebee
    JBApplebee Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    I also run on the treadmill & am going to try & take it on the road. I always run with an incline of 2.0 at the very least. I agree with the part about going too fast. I was running @ 6.5 mph & couldn't never run longer than 15 minutes without stopping. After reading the slow it down advice, I was able to run for 20 minutes without stopping & wasn't struggling as much while doing so.

Does anyone have a neoprene strap for a droid 3? I've been looking for one so I can still have my tunes & use an app for my run, but I can't find one anywhere. There's a ton of them for an iPhone, but not so much for a Droid.

While I'm at it, what app do you use to track your running?
  • vancil01
    vancil01 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    If you're going to run outside, stick to the pavement as opposed to the concrete. Pavement has a bit of give to it, concrete has none. Incline is great on the treadmill, but vary it, stick it on a random setting and put it on a low level so you run on all sorts of inclines. That will prep you more, imo, for running outside than just a solid. one number incline. Also, you MUST have good shoes. I hated running because I got shin splints all the damn time, got me some good shoes and those are a thing of the past!

For apps, I use Endomondo (free on the AppStore), when I am in the gym I have a 4GB iPod shuffle so I do not use any armbands...they get in the way of lifting :)