HIIT and weights??

Options
Hi all!

I am looking for a program that is mainly weight lifting but also has some HIIT training. I know that is the best for fat burning and am looking to hit it hard before summer! (as I'm sure we all are)

No 'at home' only workouts please!!

I only have about 10-15 lbs to lose and def wanna put some muscle on/tone...

Thanks in advanced :flowerforyou:

Replies

• ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    Just find a decent full body workout and do that 3x a week. Google works great. bodybuilding.com has a routine finder based on age, sex, goals. might be useful.

Do some interval training on your own 2-3 times a week.

Don't be shortsighted and expect to lose 10-15 pounds before summer. Find a good program and stick with it. Things take time.
  • krissypea79
    krissypea79 Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    Check out the book "The New Rules of Lifting for Women." He emphasizes mostly weights but also shows you how to incorporate interval training into it. I started reading it yesterday, it had GREAT reviews, and I am really enjoying it so far! Going to get started on the program next week!
  • ilovedeadlifts
    Options
    Check out the book "The New Rules of Lifting for Women." He emphasizes mostly weights but also shows you how to incorporate interval training into it. I started reading it yesterday, it had GREAT reviews, and I am really enjoying it so far! Going to get started on the program next week!

this.
    focus more on the weights and you'll be happy with the progress.
  • minime2b
    minime2b Posts: 168
    Options
    P90X and weight training (I think he alternated days not totally sure) and had fantastic results. I hope to get to the point I can try it but right now still nursing a shoulder injury good luck
  • minime2b
    minime2b Posts: 168
    Options
    P90X and weight training (I think he alternated days not totally sure) and had fantastic results. I hope to get to the point I can try it but right now still nursing a shoulder injury good luck

oops referring to my younger brother here
  • ash15nicole
    ash15nicole Posts: 131
    Options
    thanks guys. I know I won't lose the 10-15lbs before summer, that's my long term goal. I was doing the LiveFit program from bodybuilding.com but it doesn't have any cardio the first month...guess I can add my own in right??

any suggestions on good HIIT?? is it like interval sprints and such?
  • nlehmann
    nlehmann Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I would recommend P90X workouts too though Tony doesn't use HIIT but you will get some good cardio in with plyo. With the workout sheets and a few viewings of the discs you can easily follow the lifting workouts at the gym.
  • savvystephy
    savvystephy Posts: 4,151 Member
    Options

NROL books are great. and NROL for Women is a great place to start. As for hitt, invest in a interval trainer (I love Gym Boss) and you can certainly create your own. I do "metabolic training" with NROL for Abs, which is like HIIT.

For HIIT you can do all sort of things, you can do 1 min on, 30 seconds off of different intervals of calisthetics, running, anything. Check out bodyrock.tv for ideas (they do interval training mostly). You can really get creative. :smile:

For my metabolic training I have done 10-12 kettlebell swings every minute (with rest of the minute being rest) for 10-15 minutes. Also replace kettlebell with burpees of 8-10. Then what I am currently doing now is 10 KB swings + 10 Burpees and working down to 1 + 1.
  • GoldspursX3
    GoldspursX3 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Lifting Iron is whats going to provide definition to your muscles, not cardio. Try stronglifts 5X5. Great program and is very easy to figure out for new lifters. Don't be afraid of the free weights! So much better than the machines.

That being said I still like to run. I do cardio 4-6X a week and I lift 3X a week.
  • ilovedeadlifts
    Options
    thanks guys. I know I won't lose the 10-15lbs before summer, that's my long term goal. I was doing the LiveFit program from bodybuilding.com but it doesn't have any cardio the first month...guess I can add my own in right??

any suggestions on good HIIT?? is it like interval sprints and such?

Just add in your own a couple days a week.
    HIIT is just a fancy word for sprint training. You can run hills, jump rope, or do intervals on the treadmill.

Stronglifts is another way to go. Agree with goldspurs that lifting weight is what is going to drastically improve your body.