my shins are really sore! Help

Options
Last night I did week 1 day 1 day for the second time. Then after that i did a round if HIIT. Which went really good. But this morning im sore and my shins hurt. Im wonder what I should do.?
Can anyone have any ideas.....

Replies

• ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    shin splints?

If so you can try icing them, but for the most part, it just requires time off from running.
  • giantruss
    giantruss Posts: 100
    Options
    yeah most likely shin splints,

i get it too, make sure you are using good shoes for running , i also strap my shin and it has stopped any pain,
    you can see how to strap yuor shin on you tube!
  • Melissaol
    Melissaol Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    Like how long? I was just thinking of going for a walk. And tomorrow I will run week 1 day 2. Or is that to soon.
  • jcnuebel
    jcnuebel Posts: 19
    Options
    I used to get shin splints. I bought better running shoes and now I don't have that problem. Good luck!!!
  • Katiemarie4488
    Katiemarie4488 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Bioflex, rub it on! Works wonders. You can buy it over the counter. They sell it at my chiropractors office, and also at medical supply stores. My sister likes the roll on, I prefer the spray or the lotion.

Love the stuff! :)

and make sure you stretch after your work out
  • graceknorr
    graceknorr Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Shin splints suck....I had them once and my friend had me sit on the floor and point my toes and she pushed down on them really stretching out the front of my legs! Def a hurt so good situation and really helped!!
  • feagindm
    feagindm Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Massage them through the pain, stretch, and ice. (Alleve liquid gels work great, too). Hope this helps.
  • rvagnoni
    rvagnoni Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I too have the same problem. Make sure you were good shoes... An orthoetic insert helps and lots of stretching.
  • tb_friend
    tb_friend Posts: 11
    Options
    When my shins are sore and I am having shin splints, my trainer has me set on a bench with my knees supported on the bench and legs extendeded. Then I move my toes and write out the whole upper case alphabet. I thought he was nuts the first time he had me try it but it brought instant relieve. It felt better than using ice which I have done for years.

Try it and let me know your results :)
  • LPCoder
    LPCoder Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    Sit with your legs straight out in front of you, toes pointed straight up. Have a friend sit by your feet and pull toes gently to make them point while you resist. Do 3 x ten repetitions, once or twice during the day and be sure to ice. DO NOT over strain! This is a delicate resistance trick!
  • gooseafur
    gooseafur Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    I'm not getting shin splints....I'm feeling tighness in my calf muscles. Would you recommend the same thing such as ice, stretching and more? I have been doing HIIT on the treadmill now for a month and it just started about a week ago. I was hoping this was a sign I was getting some muscles LOL!
  • Melissaol
    Melissaol Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    Do i workout tonight or take the dogs for a nice walk. Tomorrow is my day to run week 1 day 2 of the c25k program. What do you think. What kind of stretch should i do before and after running
  • maryduggins
    maryduggins Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Probably shin splints :/ I got them when I first started running because I was wearing my old, cheap tennis shoes. Turns out good shoes *really* are important because that's what gave me my shin splints. I got a pair of Asics and love them!(: I use an insole because I need a little more cushion, but I think they're great otherwise(:

The biggest thing though that keeps me from still getting them is stretching. Along with the normal stretches (bend down and touch your toes for 10 seconds, pull each leg back and hold for 10 seconds, etc.) I use these stretches:

On the balls of your feet, stand on a ledge (like a stair) with your heels hanging off. Hold for 50-60 seconds. Then bend your knees slightly and hold again.

Sit down on the floor. Put one leg out straight in front of you and hold the ends of a towel with your hands. With the ball of your foot, push the towel away from you (move your foot around, too. Don't just hold it in one position, move it back and forth, etc.) while you pull ends of the towel toward yourself. Do this for 30 seconds on each foot.

Other than that, ice them down after you run. Because I use these stretches every time I run, my shin splints don't even hurt anymore(: Buuuuut if I even run for 45 seconds and I haven't stretched, It'll hurt that day :/

Hope this helped!(: