Does anyone have a magical cure?

Options
For the past few weeks I've had excuses after excuses, laziness after laziness but I honestly don't have the motivation to it. After I got my really bad cold and slacked off a few days I just stopped all together. To lose wieght takes hard work, to gain weight takes nothing. I really hit it at the beginning. I had lost 20 lbs! Once I stopped, I mean I stopped.

Could I just not be ready to lose the wieght or whats going on? I want to lose the weight, honestly I do, I know its going to take hard work and its going to be tough but I have got to lose these pounds.

I suffer from depression and while I was exercising I felt so much better, so much happier, but once that feeling wears off I don't wanna do it again because I know I"m going to feel like giving up the very next time...any ideas? My husband is all for me losing weight and is very supportive of me with whatever I do (plus being happy). I guess I'm just looking for a magical answer that will solve this for me.

You can look at my profile and see all the reasons why I want to lose wieght and why I need to do it too but its just not good enough for me i guess.

Replies

• kbeller88
    kbeller88 Posts: 139
    Options
    anyone?
  • eriemer
    eriemer Posts: 197
    Options
    Everytime I start a new diet I do the same thing. I'm into it, dieting and exercising. Then all of a sudden bam! I'm back on the couch and 20 lbs heavier. It's just human nature to go back into comfort mode. I'm an everything eater, I eat when I'm full, hungry, happy, sad. So the only way I can survive even one day is serious behavior modification. Thus I only eat 3 meals a day (I write in snacks but they are usually consumed with my meals) This is not popular advice but if I eat the mini-meals it just feels like a snack then I just keep grazing all day long. I also eat at just about the same times everyday, more behavior modification. If I get hungry I drink water, caffiene free diet soda, or green tea. Then I make an effort to do 30 minutes of exercise a day, mostly at a gym or outside the house. After I exercise I place a smile face sticker on my canlender, as a reward. They say you have to change your habits something like 29 times before it becomes routine. I also make myself accountable for everything I eat. I write it in usual before or when I'm eating. That's what works for me and I do my best everyday. If I don't exercise I don't get my sticker then I can really notice the big blank spot on my canlender. If I overeat I write it down, then do my best the next day.

When I was in WW a few years ago, the leader had a motivational quotes that stuck with me-

"It's not willpower, It's WANT power"
    "If you do what you've always done, you get what you've always got"

I'll be the first to admit I've been on every diet known to man, some several times. I'm starting over...again and not giving up yet.
    Find what has worked in the past and start doing that. Perhaps start small, like adding more water, tracking food, taking a 10 minute walk a day, or trying a new recipe. It's so easy to do the "all or nothing" or "I'll start tommarrow".

And when all else fails- The lords prayer esp the part about temptation! (of course if your not christian their are other mantras you could turn to)

Good Luck! I'm sure we've all been there. Just don't give up. :)
  • qtpieprnsz
    qtpieprnsz Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Hi there.... first step.... don't be afraid!!!!

I went away on vacation in January, gained 12 pounds and am just now getting back to where I was when I left!!! You still have the want and that is a great thing... remember, small baby steps is where we all start. When we fall off the wagon, the important thing is to get back on the wagon!!!

Weight loss is a journey of a lifetime... a very hard one at that, the fact that your husband supports you is fantastic. Maybe start off again by doing nightly walks and move back into your regular routine. Try to not let the setback of a cold or illness or some other hiccup or excuse out there stop YOU from where you want to be.

It's hard work, but all will eventually pay off in the long run! Go ahead and add me as a friend if you like and we can continue to support each other. This journey is one that cannot be done on its own, the positive reassurance you/ we all get, the better!!!

I have no husband or coutnerpart to offer me support, and although very costly (and I wonder how much longer I'll be able to afford him) my personal trainer has got to be the best support I've got out there... even better than my own family.

So it will take a lot of self motiviation, too. You need to dig deep down within yourself to do and believe that you are worthy of everything that life has to offer. And if you have another setback, try not to sweat it, just sulk in it for the day and when you wake up the next day... wake with a refreshed feeling and a successful feeling!!!

Good luck to you and remember to stay strong!!! :smile:
  • davistd1
    davistd1 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    dont beat yourself up... take one food choice at a time and try to do better... You can do it.
  • kbeller88
    kbeller88 Posts: 139
    Options
    Thank you all. I just gotta kick my butt back into gear again. I keep saying it and saying it but I knwo its true.