Road trip!

Options
jacquelyn_erika
jacquelyn_erika Posts: 524 Member
Give me your best road trip tips...

My boyfriend and I will be driving to Florida (1,100 miles away) next week, separate vehicles (we're moving - so it's not going to be super adventurous), and I've never driven maybe more than 4 hours at one time. I've heard stopping every 2 hours is a good rule of thumb... but not sure how necessary it is.

Today we are taking both of our vehicles to get checked out before the trip. From what I've read this is a pretty important step. Hopefully not super expensive though!

We will be driving for about 8 hours and plan on stopping to catch up on sleep...I'm sure we'll need it.

Any advice would be much appreciated! Thanks!

Replies

• ket_the_jet
    ket_the_jet Posts: 1,257 Member
    Options
    The most I've driven in a day is nineteen hours. I don't recommend it.

Listen to music, have a cellphone charger and catch up with people you haven't talked to. The worst part about long driving, particularly by yourself, is boredom. No, wait. It's traffic. Then boredom.
    -wtk
  • JennaM222
    JennaM222 Posts: 1,996 Member
    Options
    weeeellll for spring break one year me and 5 of my girlfriends drove From Minnesota to South Padre Island, TX - took us 25 hours...and we NEVER stopped, all the way through.

Obviously, I do not reccomend that. I would say Keep cool air blowing to keep you attentive, have good music, and alot of SF red bull :)
  • jacquelyn_erika
    Options

Listen to music, have a cellphone charger and catch up with people you haven't talked to. The worst part about long driving, particularly by yourself, is boredom. No, wait. It's traffic. Then boredom.
    -wtk

Wow, talk about a long trip! The music idea is good, I will have a fully loaded iPod. :)

Being by myself will definitely be the hard part. I foresee a lot of boredom on this trip!
  • jacquelyn_erika
    Options
    weeeellll for spring break one year me and 5 of my girlfriends drove From Minnesota to South Padre Island, TX - took us 25 hours...and we NEVER stopped, all the way through.

Obviously, I do not reccomend that. I would say Keep cool air blowing to keep you attentive, have good music, and alot of SF red bull :)

With all of you in the same car I'm sure it was a fun trip! The cool air definitely works. When I was little we would take long trips and my dad swore by this!
  • Ruger2506
    Ruger2506 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I've heard stopping every 2 hours is a good rule of thumb... but not sure how necessary it is.

It is necessary if you want your trip to take 10X longer than it should. I'm usually anxious to get somewhere so I'll push it and drive anywhere from 10-16 hours straight. I do have to stop every 4 hours for gas. I'll grab a bite to eat then.
  • geezer99
    geezer99 Posts: 92
    Options
    Don't try to stay one in front of the other -- people drive differently and it is much easier to drive your own way. Set meeting points about a half to three quarters hour down the road. Definitely take breaks. Get out, move, walk around, get your blood flowing. Keep hydrated -- yes, this will add bathroom breaks but it is all too easy to wear yourself out through dehydration. And remember that rest areas are likely to feature junk food -- pack healthy snacks. Finally, keep cell phone calls brief. You don't want distractions on unfamiliar roads.
  • jacquelyn_erika
    Options
    I've heard stopping every 2 hours is a good rule of thumb... but not sure how necessary it is.

It is necessary if you want your trip to take 10X longer than it should. I'm usually anxious to get somewhere so I'll push it and drive anywhere from 10-16 hours straight. I do have to stop every 4 hours for gas. I'll grab a bite to eat then.

Exactly. I'm the same way - usually anxious and in a hurry to reach my destination!
  • ket_the_jet
    Options
    Wow, talk about a long trip!
    Of course in my case it was worth it to drive 1400 miles to tell the queen of my dreams under a starry sky and pale moonlight, amid a field of wheat blowing in a gentle night's breeze how I felt about her.

Ha. Just kidding...I don't love anyone but myself. The real trip was driving from DC to Savannah to help my brother move then driving back three hours later when the job was complete. Pretty ****ty day.
    -wtk
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    Don't drive if you are sleepy.
  • jacquelyn_erika
    Options
    Don't try to stay one in front of the other -- people drive differently and it is much easier to drive your own way. Set meeting points about a half to three quarters hour down the road. Definitely take breaks. Get out, move, walk around, get your blood flowing. Keep hydrated -- yes, this will add bathroom breaks but it is all too easy to wear yourself out through dehydration. And remember that rest areas are likely to feature junk food -- pack healthy snacks. Finally, keep cell phone calls brief. You don't want distractions on unfamiliar roads.

Funny you mention not staying in front of the other. My boyfriend isn't super excited about having to follow each other the whole way because obviously that may not go as planned. We've basically decided to keep communication at least a few miles before we are ready to stop, that way we can at least stay on the same page.

I will definitely be packing healthy snacks or at least making the healthiest choices possible. Not a fan of gas station food at all!

TY
  • jacquelyn_erika
    Options
    Wow, talk about a long trip!
    Of course in my case it was worth it to drive 1400 miles to tell the queen of my dreams under a starry sky and pale moonlight, amid a field of wheat blowing in a gentle night's breeze how I felt about her.

Ha. Just kidding...I don't love anyone but myself. The real trip was driving from DC to Savannah to help my brother move then driving back three hours later when the job was complete. Pretty ****ty day.
    -wtk

You had me believing that story... you're good.

How is Savannah, btw? Assuming you have visited there before.
  • kkbecker12
    Options
    I've done SO many road trips! I did a road trip by myself from Michigan to NY, also was moving! That was 12-13 hours straight of driving. My advice, get books on tape! Get as much different music you can in your ipod or whatever you use, OR have fun switching stations as you switch states.

Since you guys are driving together, you could call each other every time you cross a state line? My husband and I do that, its super cheesy but keeps things somewhat fun!

Safe travels!

Feel free to add me as a friend!
  • tracferg
    tracferg Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Have lots of bottled water, apple slices, veggies and a cooler for all of it and download some books to listen to while you drive. Just don't get any tear jerkers lol it's hard to drive if you are crying lol!
  • Abells
    Abells Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    This past labor day weekend -- me and two friends "couchsurfed" (www.couchsurfing.org) stayed with random people and went to:
    STARTING IN NEW JERSEY :)

*Pittsburg, Pa
    *Indianapolis, In
    *Louisville, Ky
    *Nashville, TN
    *Atlanta, Ga

WE stayed one night in each place, split drive between 2. I drove the whole way from Atlanta to Jersey -- 14 hours it took me

I like to drive straight through to places. I would pick out cities to visit and see and maybe festivals. Unless you have to be there a certain day. It's good to have destinations to get to :) Just like weight loss goals. Makes it satisfying when you get there and breaks up the drive.
  • beccadaniixox
    beccadaniixox Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    The most I've driven is 4 hours (I go to school in North FL and live in South FL). I do that in one trip no stops unless I'm not full on gas when I leave.
    Road trips are kind of like losing weight, lol. Listen to your body! If you start to get restless while driving pull over at a rest stop and stretch.
    We moved to FL from NJ back in 2007. We stopped every 3 or so hours when we drove down. Plus if you're not in a giant rush, it's nice to stop and see the sights! :)
  • jacquelyn_erika
    Options
    I've done SO many road trips! I did a road trip by myself from Michigan to NY, also was moving! That was 12-13 hours straight of driving. My advice, get books on tape! Get as much different music you can in your ipod or whatever you use, OR have fun switching stations as you switch states.

Since you guys are driving together, you could call each other every time you cross a state line? My husband and I do that, its super cheesy but keeps things somewhat fun!

Safe travels!

Feel free to add me as a friend!

We'll actually be traveling from Michigan - what a coincidence! :)

I love listening to new stations in different states...that is a great idea. I might do the audio book thing also!
  • ket_the_jet
    Options
    How is Savannah, btw? Assuming you have visited there before.
    It's nice. I'd never live there, but it's a lovely weekend's worth of vacationing. I appreciate the open container laws, but I live in DC and that doesn't fly around here.
    -wtk