I can't seem to eat all my calories

2»

Replies

• olivu
    olivu Posts: 6
    ok new problem! At times I have a hard time eating the 1200 calories, now that I'm logging my exercise it's giving me more calories to eat. Do I have to eat these? It's WAY to much for me.
  • olivu
    olivu Posts: 6
    Labrat, LOL I wish I could! I have even more now!
  • thegoya
    thegoya Posts: 100 Member
    I have the exact same problem; I reach my protein and fat %'s long before I reach the calories. If I add more carbs the other two categories go up too.. I do eat clean and am glad to do so for health reasons. I don't come close to the 1,200 calories let alone the added calories I'm allowed so on days I exercise. When you figure it out, please let me know. p.s, I eat a lot.
  • I have this same problem and am stuggling everyday to attempt 1200 calories...and then I burn about 1000 calories from my workouts, I should be consuming like 2000 calories, I just can't seem to do it. I am a caloric failure.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    @ olivu, thegoya, mommypiepie

Suppressed metabolism can make it difficult to eat enough.

You can indeed continue your weight loss journey with suppressed metabolism - it will just be painfully slow, and you have more chance of breaking down muscle for glucose needs.

If you are exercising more than walking, you will be making the effect worse, if your are not eating back your exercise calories, really worse.

You will lose a lot of "weight" - muscle, easily.

When you reach goal weight, you will be skinny fat, and your metabolism will likely be a wreck as you have less muscle.
    When you try to eat at maintenance level, you'll gain weight, real fat weight, as the body tries to prepare for future underfeeding.

Remember, there is a big difference between you feeling full, and your body being fully fed.

You can take in enough nutrients and feel satisfied at 1200, but your body is not getting full energy needs met.

Just the thought of eating 1200, and exercising taking 1000 of that first, leaving 200 for the body to work with - should scare the hair off your head, which will eventually happen, because the metabolism can't slow down that much safely.
  • heybales
    Actually, I'll add, if you do exercise a bit, like 500 cal burn per day on avg, you will stall likely.

Because now with a metabolism slowed down to work with the 700 cal it has left to work with, your new BMR is really 700.

700 x Very Active level (including exercise in there) of 1.55 = 1085 daily calorie burn for all activity. But you eat at 1200 still.

Now, with ALL daily activity no longer burning the calories you think, that is no longer 500 cal worth of burn on workouts. So the balance will go up a bit, but not that much.

So you no longer have deficit eating. Any weight loss is strictly muscle mass for blood sugar maintenance.
  • sobriquet84
    sobriquet84 Posts: 607 Member
    lose the sugar free/fat free processed crap. eat real food, you'll hit your calorie goals way easier, and your body will respond much better.
  • sobriquet84
    sobriquet84 Posts: 607 Member
    also, what is your fat limit set to? many times I see someone saying that its hard to reach their calorie goal, but they're eating all low fat/fat free stuff. Eat half an avocado, a handful of almonds, a tablespoon of olive oil on your salad.

I usually have about 60 - 80 grams of fat a day. On a 1,400 calorie diet.
  • heybales
    also, what is your fat limit set to? many times I see someone saying that its hard to reach their calorie goal, but they're eating all low fat/fat free stuff. Eat half an avocado, a handful of almonds, a tablespoon of olive oil on your salad.

I usually have about 60 - 80 grams of fat a day. On a 1,400 calorie diet.

So true - tablespoon of peanut butter and 1/2 cup milk will get you 200 easy.

And don't eat the low fat versions of anything, yogurt, cottage cheese, milk, cheese.

Besides which, they usually add sugar to make them taste better with fat missing, so fat version is less sugar for that reason.
  • Ok see, this HAS to be my problem. I do buy fat free yogurt, I keep at 2% milk, I buy full fat cheese (reduced is just gross). I need someone to map out some meals for me. I just made my food diary public, please help. Spell it out for me, I'll do it! My body is stronger from my exercise, I feel it...but it is certainly holding on to the fat. I have been at this for over 5 weeks now and I have lost 3 pounds at best. Please help.