Followup from the NO starvation thread... net BMR or eat BMR

Options
A lot of people were talking in the previous thread about eating your BMR. Does that mean we want to eat our BMR or net our BMR? That thread was SO interesting to me. Trying to soak it all up. :)

Replies

• bikiniwantabe
    bikiniwantabe Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I am also confused. I hope someone that knows will post.
  • Ketotaz
    Ketotaz Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • manic4titans
    manic4titans Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    I get so confused. I read to eat , not to eat, eat, don't eat, LOL

I started eating my BMR cals and gained 2.5 pounds this week. :sad:
  • amyniceneasy
    amyniceneasy Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Yes..someone answer this question. I've been confused about this too.
  • Ingadinga
    Ingadinga Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    BMR= Basal Metabolic Rate
    It's the amount of calories we need to just get by, to have our bodies function correctly without going into starvation mode.
    Here's the wikipedia article regarding BMR http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basal_metabolic_rate
    1200 calories is usually the standard BMR people use, but can be too low for some people. Everyone is different.
  • Ingadinga
    Ingadinga Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    And if you eat too few calories and go into starvation mode, your body will try to conserve energy, hence the gain in weight or no lost.
  • cricket_0408
    cricket_0408 Posts: 56 Member
    Options

yes! I started eating close to my BMR this week and gained a pound. It started off to easy. Seems like the first 8 fell off for me, but now I'm all over the place trying to figure out how much to eat. Its getting frustrating and I'm losing the motivation to log. :(
  • libby555
    libby555 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I started eating my calories according to my BMR and gained too. I hope it changes this week! :frown:
  • manic4titans
    Options

Well I lost that 2.5 pounds and another half. I was starving my body :-(
  • fittiephd
    fittiephd Posts: 608 Member
    Options

Well I lost that 2.5 pounds and another half. I was starving my body :-(

That's why I'm not weighing in for a month after upping my calories, I know that I will probably gain on the scale and then go back down and I don't want to feel discouraged!!

Definitely net your BMR at least, but really you should be eating WAY more than your BMR.

BMR is how many calories your body needs to EXIST. WITHOUT you moving AT ALL. It is what you need to breath, for your cells to work, for digestion, and other bodily functions.

Your TDEE (Today daily energy expenditure) is what you burn in a day. In order to lose weight, you should be about 300 cals below this number. This TDEE number includes walking around, sitting up, eating food, cooking, cleaning, working, working out EVERYTHING that you do each day. Whatever your TDEE is, eat a little less than that.

My BMR is about 1400, but I eat 1800 cals per day because my TDEE is more like 2100. And I have a sedentary desk job (I'm a programmer)

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/538943-how-to-calculate-calorie-goals-according-to-nrolfw
    Check out this thread, it helps you calculate what you should be eating. Take into account the "non workout days" category and then whatever you do for your workout, eat those back as well as the non-workout days calories.

I promise you'll feel better and lose weight healthily if you eat more! You'll lose fat and not muscle/organs/bones which you DONT want to lose!

Feel free to message me with questions!

xox
  • manic4titans
    Options
    My BMR was 1300ish. Over the weekend I upped my calories to 1440 :happy: I changed MFP to lose 1/2 pound per week and that's the # it gave me.

I'm slowly changing things. It is difficult to do since all my life I have been told to decrease calories and increase exercise.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!