your favorite Caribbean vacation destination?

Options
papa3x
papa3x Posts: 286
Just curious.... I have traveled many places but never to the Caribbean. This year the family is taking a cruise... Our 4 destinations are Antigua, St. Martens ( I think ) Tortola, and Nassau.....

So I guess ONE of them will become my favorite... :)

Replies

• the_journeyman
    the_journeyman Posts: 1,877 Member
    Options
    Lets see, I've not been to too many Caribbean islands, BUT he's my choices in order.

1. St Croix
    2. St Maarten
    3. St Lucia
    4. Antigua
  • missdaisy79
    missdaisy79 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    I've only been to St Lucia, and loved it. Didn't spend much time off the resort though. Or sober for that matter.:laugh:
  • mapdixon
    mapdixon Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Went to the Bahamma's last year - very "touristy". I would love to go to Aruba one day. My brother has been there a couple of times he said its really nice.
  • Laurelje
    Laurelje Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    My best friend and I have gone to Jamaica every year for 7 years - leaving for the next trip in 6 days and CAN'T WAIT! We stay at an "adults only" all inclusive resort in Negril, and have a blast every year!
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    My daughter and son-in-law just took that same cruise. They like all of the places except the Bahamas. She said they were kind of scared there and didn't feel safe. They loved Tortola the most I'm sure because that's all she talked about. lol Enjoy your trip!
  • LovesGG
    LovesGG Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Haiti <3
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    Went to the Bahamma's last year - very "touristy". I would love to go to Aruba one day. My brother has been there a couple of times he said its really nice.
    Aruba is fantastic! Beautiful beaches and not crowded at all. I'd live there if I could!
  • beccci91
    beccci91 Posts: 214
    Options
    Dominican Republic <3
  • MOMvsFOOD
    MOMvsFOOD Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    We just took the Carnival Magic to Jamaica, Grand Caymen, and Cozumel- AMAZING

my favorite was Grand Caymen
  • Gail3260
    Gail3260 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    I have been to St Lucia and Barbados and Barbados wins every time.....can't wait till July when we're off there again :-)
  • DanL66712
    DanL66712 Posts: 135
    Options
    I feel I may have done the same cruise as you...

The islands are all quite similar, in all truthfulness, especially the side of them you get to see from a cruise. I assume you are just doing paid for tours on each of them?

Nassau was the most different, and was pretty cool. I think we did a rum distillery tour when I was there, so that might of helped with the liking of the island!
  • traceyjolli
    Options
    Punta Cana in the Dominican Republic.... been 6 times and going back in exactly 33 days... whooo hoooo
  • denise3085
    denise3085 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    For pure relaxation, I loved Tortola. The beach we went to was beautiful, there was an open air market near port, and it was just like spending the day in heaven.
  • GellisIndigo
    GellisIndigo Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I agree, Jamaica mon! We also leave for a couples only all inclusive resort in Negril in a week! :happy:
  • the_journeyman
    the_journeyman Posts: 1,877 Member
    Options
    All of mine were from a cruise. I actually liked Barbados the least. On my "really really want to visit" list is Jost Van *kitten*

JM
  • mslack01
    mslack01 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    I have been to the Bahamas and Cancun and I like Cancun the best. Although Atlantis was pretty cool!
  • Fubar_Bill
    Fubar_Bill Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I love Punta Cana (Dominican) to just relax on a regular touristy spot, but you will find that Tortola is gorgeous!
  • jennibell81
    Options
    I agree!! Loved it there, I want to go back soon!! :tongue:
  • kabrown1978
    kabrown1978 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Just curious.... I have traveled many places but never to the Caribbean. This year the family is taking a cruise... Our 4 destinations are Antigua, St. Martens ( I think ) Tortola, and Nassau.....

So I guess ONE of them will become my favorite... :)

I have only been to St Maarten out of the ones you mentioned. If you have the opportunity, and like this sort of thing, I HIGHLY recommend doing the Americas Cup 12 metre sailboat regatta excursion. dh and I did that one in Oct. 2009 and it was one of our favorite excursions to date. Behind that, our favorite was Cozumel with an excursion to Passion Island (the island where they film the Corona commercials). We've also been to Ocho Rios, Jamaica (not our favorite); Grand Cayman (didn't get to see much there, since we forgot to take a credit card off the boat that day and didn't have any excursions planned); St Thomas (also didn't see much there, but I've heard it's nice); and Grand Turk (by far our least favorite). We are going on another cruise in 29 days and will be visiting Aruba & Curacao. Have a great time on your cruise!!
  • Pollywog39
    Pollywog39 Posts: 1,730 Member
    Options
    Isla Mujeres - off of Cancun.

Just got back from there last Saturday............lovely, small, not-too-commercial.