Starting Over

Options
A year and a half ago I lost 55 lbs and was feeling great! I was so happy with the hard work I had put in and running my first marathon at a healthier weight. Somehow, despite my happiness with my new body and ability, I gave in to temptation, didn't work out with the regularity I need to, and put back on 36 pounds. I am feeling overwhelmed, irritated, and really tired of this 'all over the scale' lifestyle.
I feel like I am starting over, and I think the anger I have at myself for letting myself put so much weight back on is only making it worse.

I told myself I would NEVER allow the weight to come back, alas, here is it.

Any suggestions for starting over? Goal setting? Motivation?
I could use all I can get right now.

ace

Replies

• ladykate7
    ladykate7 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Same boat here, except I did a half marathon and that was 2 years ago. I've been yo-yo'ing 15 lbs every 6 months from overeating/ no exercise and stringent calorie counting/lexercising ever since. I get to where I'm looking good then slack off and gain it back. Get pissed to hit my high weight and kick it into gear to lose it. Problem is not figuring out how to maintain once i get there.

Starting over I suggest just doing what you did to get there the first time. You know it worked for you. The real work will begin once you get there - have to learn how to transistion from dieting to maintainence and somehow make that maintence lifestyle easy to follow.
  • ladykate7
    ladykate7 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Whats motivating is that you've been there before. You know what your body looked like, how good you felt after training runs, how your clothes fit better and got to shop for new stuff :) Knowing you have done it means you have no excuse to not do it again.

Hope that helps! (that's what I tell myself!)

Oh and the starting over part... I felt the same way, but then found that when I started running again I was stronger then when back when I'd first started training for the half marathon. Starting over yes, but starting from a better base ability than before. Your body's likely more healthy at this start than it was when you started that year and a half ago.
  • Aceco30
    Aceco30 Posts: 29
    Options
    You're right, all around, Kate. I know I need to find a better balance in my life once I get back to my goal.
    I'm trying to do the same things I was doing then, but I honestly don't really remember what I was doing. Other than spending a ton of time in the gym.

There's a good place to start, I guess.
  • Aceco30
    Options
    Okay!

I think I am finally ready to commit to this. To losing this weight, keeping it off, being happy and healthy.
    I feel like I have spent so much of my life using my weight as an excuse not to be living like I want to be.

Here it goes!!
    Ashley
  • Aceco30
    Options
    So far, so good! I am down 11.6 pounds from dieting, and this week I am going to add in working out as well to hopefully keep this strong trajectory going!!

This time around I need to be more appreciative of myself, my goals, reaching those goals and continuing on!

Marathon weight -5 would be amazing!! And I can get there!!
  • MyFeistyEvolution
    MyFeistyEvolution Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    Story of my life!

If anything, look at how you lost the weight last time and try and see if you can see what you can change to make this time stick.

No matter what, just keep trying.

Good luck!
  • mmsilvia
    mmsilvia Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    You've taken the first step by starting over. I have always been on the heavier side until about 5 years ago when I lost about 50lbs. LOVED my new body. Kept eating right & working out for awhile. But, had a weekend where I didn't and didn't gain but, that weekend turned into a few years. And, a few years turned into a few pounds. I also had my son in the middle.

Start small & stick with it. Drink lots of water, exercise regular and include fruits, veggies, protein & fiber into your reg diet.

We can & will do it once & for all.

Feel free to add as a MFP friend :smile:
  • Aceco30
    Options
    Thanks guys!
    I hope you are right! I am working on not only shedding this weight again (and for good) but also working on the mental side of why I stay in this vicious cycle...I have high hopes and need to realize when I am reaching those goals!

I look at pictures now of my marathon weight and I just WISH I was that weight again, but at the time I thought "you need to lose 20 more lbs). Why can't we ever be happy with where we are?!!??

I need to get to a point of acceptance for my body and a goal that is realistic!

I'm starting out with a paleo cleanse-which is crazy how much it is helping me shed these pounds. I am losing weight quickly! The plan is to stick to this for 21 days and then slowly introduce other foods back into my diet with a heavy focus on exercise.

I haven't been cheating, which is new for me. I can somehow talk my way into anything..."you DESERVE that piece of cake." But the thing is, I also deserve to be happy and healthy and have the body that I want. So the realization and understanding that I can always have that piece of cake, or that margarita some other time (like after I get rid of this weight) is a good thing for me to remember. That stuff will always be there. I need to frame MY mindset differently around food and quit falling backwards after so much effort to get on the right track!

Down 13.4lbs!! Starting to feel like I can really make this happen!
    ashleycolean

11632750.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • Aceco30
    Options
    One more pound down! Yesterday was a hard day with a lot of temptation, but I stayed strong. I am sick to death of boiled chicken and asparagus. But, I'm sick to death of shirmp, too. SO, I better get my butt to the grocery and get something else on the list of acceptable foods.

I've still been struggling with the lack of desire to workout. I haven't made it down the treadmill in a couple of weeks. I know I could speed up my weightloss if I did, but I would rather die (not really but you know what I mean) than go down there after work.

I'm going to give it all I've got tonight though and try to get 3 miles done...I don't care if I have to crawl!!
    One more pound and I am at my first goal...which means my first reward...a 60 minute massage! I already scheduled it so I better hit it by tomorrow morning! :)

Total down: 14.4 lbs!

ashleycolean

11632750.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
  • endjl
    endjl Posts: 28
    Options
    Boiled chicken; Sounds delicious. lol

Pick up some ground chicken breast and try this recipe from fitness model Jamie Eason:

Jamie's Monster Meatloaf Recipe
    Nutrition Facts:
    Makes 24 servings
    Single serving = 83 calories, .7 g fat, 3 g carbs, 15 g protein

Ingredients:
    1 12-oz package chopped onions and peppers, thawed (or 1 - 1 1/2 cup fresh)
    1 tsp salt
    1 tsp pepper
    1/2 tsp dried thyme
    1 tsp minced garlic (or paste)
    1/4 cup low-sodium soy sauce
    3/4 cup low-sodium chicken broth
    2 tsp tomato paste (no salt added)
    3 lbs extra-lean ground turkey (or chicken breast)
    1 cup quick cooking oats
    4 egg whites
    1 cup reduced sugar ketchup (no high fructose corn syrup)

Directions:
    Preheat oven to 325 degrees and prep a 9-by-13 Pyrex dish with non-stick spray. In a large sauté pan, cook the onions and peppers with salt, pepper and thyme until onions are translucent (about 5 minutes). Next, add garlic, soy sauce, chicken broth and tomato paste, mixing until heated through. Set aside to cool.

In a large bowl, combine ground turkey, egg whites, oats and sautéed mixture (cooled). Mix by hand until all incorporated and press flat into the 9-by-13 prepared Pyrex dish.

Spread ketchup in an even layer on top of the prepared turkey and place in the oven to bake for 1 hour and 20 minutes.

This is what I had for lunch today (with fresh steamed green beans). It's one of my favorites because it keeps in the fridge really well and tastes great left over. ENJOY!
  • Aceco30
    Options
    That sounds fantastic! after these inital 3 weeks of (pretty much) chicken and asparagus I will try it!! Thanks so much!
  • Aceco30
    Options
    I am just sitting here wondering if other people are constantly thinking about their diets? What am I eating? What are my calories? What is my weight? Etc...It feels like all I think about!!!

Maybe because I sit at my desk all day and have time to think about it?! It's so annoying. If nothing else, I would love to get to a weight that makes me feel healthy and confident enough not to focus on it every minute of everyday.

It's exhausting.

ashleycolean
  • endjl
    Options
    I tend to over think it as well, but if I plan things out, I'm better. Oh, and being busy always helps! Try to be creative in what you're eating and it also helps the boredom! I look up new recipes all of the time; trying at least one new recipe a week. On Sundays I cook my little heart out and plan my entire week's menu. Healthy, clean eating can be really delicious. It just takes time and practice, cooking and experimenting with the ingredients. Try The Eat-Clean Diet website for some yummy recipes. Also, here is a great recipe for something sweet. I eat this as my in between meals snack. YUMMY!

Pumpkin Protein Bars
    Nutrition Facts:
    Nutrition (without walnuts): 1 square = 47 calories, .7 g fat, 8 g carbs, 3.7 g protein
    Nutrition (with walnuts): 1 square = 63 calories, 2.3 g fat, 8 g carbs, 4 g protein

Ingredients:
    ½ C Xylitol Brown Sugar Blend (This can be found at King Soopers/Kroger in the baking aisle. It's natural and sugar free)
    1 - 4 oz. jar baby food applesauce (or no sugar added, naural applesauce)
    2 tsp. ground cinnamon
    1 ½ tsp. ground ginger
    ½ tsp. ground clove
    1 tsp. baking powder
    1 tsp. baking soda
    ½ tsp. salt
    2 tsp. vanilla extract
    4 large egg whites
    1 - 15 oz. can of raw pumpkin
    2 C oat flour (I find this at Sunflower, Sprouts, Vitamin Cottage or Whole Foods)
    2 scoops vanilla whey protein
    ½ cup almond milk (I use unsweetened vanilla almond milk which is great in coffee too!)
    ½ C chopped walnuts (optional)

Directions:
    Preheat the oven to 350.
    Spray a 9 X 13 Pyrex dish with non-stick spray.
    Combine first 11 ingredients and mix well.
    Add the final 3 ingredients (4, if adding walnuts), and mix until incorporated. Spread batter into the Pyrex dish and bake for 30 min.

Makes 24 squares. (I eat 2 squares as a snack) YUMMY!
  • Aceco30
    Options
    That one sounds delicious as well!!

I agree, it's all about staying busy. I'm looking forward to the weekend because I can plan my days and tackle all kinds of projects and still stay on the diet and focused.

This morning was my first weigh in without a decrease. :/ Not sure why either. I didn't overdo yesterday, didn't cheat, AND ran 2 miles. Must just be my body holding on to the 200 oz of water I drank yesterday!! :)

Trying to stay motivated and not get discouraged.

In better news, I made some seriously delicious talapia fillets last night!
    And, tonight I am getting my 15lb reward massage, despite being .6lbs short. So, maybe that will reenergize me!

ashleycolean
  • endjl
    Options
    I LOVE the idea of rewarding yourself with a massage! (I may even steal that idea). LOVE IT!

Keep up your hard work. You won't see a change on the scale everyday but you'll see changes. In fact, you might not ever see them on the scale but you'll see them in your clothes, energy level, etc. You've got this!

Let me know what you think of the recipes, if you try them out. I recently made a white bean soup recipe that turned out pretty good as well (and easy to make). I can share if you're interested in that one as well.
  • Aceco30
    Options
    I will absolutely try them after these inital 3 weeks! :) and report back!! i'm sure i will love them!
    everything sounds pretty delicious right now!!
  • Aceco30
    Options
    How much water is enough water??! Any theories!??
  • Aceco30
    Options
    This morning I had lost another 1.2 pounds! I am happy I am continuing to make progress but need to add consistent exercise back into my schedule so I can hopefully keep this up! Just two more weeks!! Technically, I only have 11 days after today to complete my 21, but I am going to finish it out with my friend that started after me...so 2 weeks from today!!

Looking forward to the weekend! I have a ton of errands that need done and I have several workouts scheduled as well!

Still loving no gluten, no dairy! I have a TON more energy when I wake up in the morning and my body doesn't feel bloated or ill. I would tell anyone to go NG/ND!!

Have a great weekend you guys!! I am hoping to report a 3lb weight loss on Monday morning!!

ashleycolean

11632750.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • endjl
    Options
    I never seem to drink enough water...
  • endjl
    Options
    But I drink green tea all day long. Green tea naturally helps to burn fat.