BMR?

Options
So I just calculated my BMR and Im wondering if I should put it along with my burned calories in my personal notebook (not in the site). Im not sure if the site calculates it in there along with what i enter or not. I had been adding in what I had found I was burning in a night of sleep, so now Im not sure if I should have been doing that. I figure the calories you burn sleeping would be part of your BMR but now Im kinda confused.
:embarassed:

Replies

• Johnnyswife
    Johnnyswife Posts: 1,447 Member
    Options
    I think you only count the calories that you exercise off. What is your BMR
    Your BMR (Basal Metabolic Rate) is an estimate of how many calories you'd burn if you were to do nothing but rest for 24 hours.

Your BMR doesn't include the calories you'd burn from normal daily activities or exercise.

This site has a free calorie counter, food diary, and excerise log too.
  • Jovialation
    Jovialation Posts: 7,632 Member
    Options
    yea the more I looked into the situation the more i realized everything adds up better if I only enter in daily activities. ill still keep in mind that i do burn calories just sleeping and whatnot, but the sites calculations definitely make more sense without entering in something so minor
  • Jovialation
    Options
    Your BMR (Basal Metabolic Rate) is an estimate of how many calories you'd burn if you were to do nothing but rest for 24 hours.

Your BMR doesn't include the calories you'd burn from normal daily activities or exercise.
    ok, other sites also say its basically the amount of calories you burn to be able to keep your heart breathing, lungs working, etc.
    and the BMR on some dieting sites seems to be more of a basis for calculations to figure out how many calories you should be eating?
    maybe im just looking into all this too much and should just continue keeping track of what my actual activities and eating habits do
  • Johnnyswife
    Johnnyswife Posts: 1,447 Member
    Options
    Yep, this one does both. Have you checked out the Tools tab? Underneath that, you have three options. Ticker, BMI, and BMR. You enter your weight and height, and it does a calculation of how many cals your body burns doing nothing and you can decide how much more you can live on.
    They encourage you to eat no less than 1,200 if you don't work out, and more if you do, plus eat your workout calories.
    Its still up to you to decide how you want to handle your own weight loss. Good luck!!:flowerforyou:
  • Jovialation
    Options
    thanks! I generally dont get more than 1200 a day and I work out...but Im never hungry enough to eat more than that. Hopefully this doesnt blow up in my face when Im trying to lose the last 10 pounds later on
  • debb1985
    debb1985 Posts: 19
    Options
    thanks! I generally dont get more than 1200 a day and I work out...but Im never hungry enough to eat more than that. Hopefully this doesnt blow up in my face when Im trying to lose the last 10 pounds later on

I took a look at your diary and I think you need to be eating your exercise calories (at least half). MFP has put you at a deficit already and by not eating the exercise calories you are putting yourself at even more of a deficit - which is not a healthy way to lose weight (you may lose muscle). Good luck on your weight loss journey and I hope you consider eating your exercise calories :)
  • Jovialation
    Options
    thanks! Ill have to try snacking a bit more. I am getting quite a bit of crap from friends for not eating enough now that Im dieting so Ill def have to consider it