Ok, So maybe i'm just crazy...

Options
I've been weight lifting for five weeks now or by the end of today will make five weeks. I loveeee it and at first i was skeptical of it due to me thinking i was going to get bigger but... i went ahead and gave it a go. Well... it may just be my imagination but i do feel like my arms are getting bigger!! Is it just me, am i imagining this? I see all these pictures of the women that have lifted and they look great and not big at all. Is this supposed to happen to newbies just starting out? Am i just seeing things? Maybe i'm crazy lol Thanks for reading :)

Replies

• rachellosesitall85
    rachellosesitall85 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    They probably are. They say it takes about 2 weeks for you to notice changes in your body, you've been lifting for five. I wouldn't worry about bulking up too much. It's good to gain muscle because they help burn fat. Most of the women in magazines lift 80 billion hours a day and some even take pills and such. If it's an issue for you, I wouldn't worry too much, you're arms aren't going to grow like the hulk's in this short of time.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    Your muscles will retain a _ton_ of water. They'll go back to normal if you take a week off.
  • JenGranzow
    JenGranzow Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Unless you have an unusually high testosterone level, are pushing serious weights and eating huge amounts of protein, you are not going to bulk up from lifting, period.
  • chachita7
    chachita7 Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    It isn't that they are getting bigger, they are getting firmer... and there is still some extra extra on them so you will see them as being bigger...
  • Blueeyes1117
    Blueeyes1117 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    It isn't that they are getting bigger, they are getting firmer... and there is still some extra extra on them so you will see them as being bigger...

Ok, that makes sense but it's kinda freaking me out lol How long is that extra extra gonna linger arounddd :( how long did it take before you noticed a slimmer appearence in your arms especially?
  • Blueeyes1117
    Options
    Thank you to everyone for your comments :)
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,568 Member
    Options
    This isn't uncommon. Muscles "swell" up to a certain size when a CONSISTENT weight lifting program is instituted. It will push out against the skin and you will gain some size, but it's temporary IF you are on calorie deficit. As you keep exercising, fat will reduce and you'll start shrinking. So don't quit.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    If you're doing it right, they will get a bit swollen sometimes and you can see it- but it is just that- swelling- ad (for me) each time I go through this and the swelling goes away, my arms (or legs/*kitten*/etc) are noticeably slimmer and the muscle definition shows through so much more.

This tends to cycle about every 2 months for me -the tightening/shrinking after the swell...
  • Blueeyes1117
    Options
    This isn't uncommon. Muscles "swell" up to a certain size when a CONSISTENT weight lifting program is instituted. It will push out against the skin and you will gain some size, but it's temporary IF you are on calorie deficit. As you keep exercising, fat will reduce and you'll start shrinking. So don't quit.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

Thank you!! Makes sense to, I've been lifting five days a week for five weeks and i'm eating at a deficit no more than 1600 calories a day if that. I'll continue to lift thanks for your help :)
  • Blueeyes1117
    Options
    If you're doing it right, they will get a bit swollen sometimes and you can see it- but it is just that- swelling- ad (for me) each time I go through this and the swelling goes away, my arms (or legs/*kitten*/etc) are noticeably slimmer and the muscle definition shows through so much more.

This tends to cycle about every 2 months for me -the tightening/shrinking after the swell...

It makes me feel alot better knowing i'm not the only one, thank you!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I don't lift heavy, but every time I start lifting after not doing it for a while my arms get bigger. I'm told it's just water in the muscles but the muscles, but it looks and feels like a muscle so I don't care. If you are losing weight they'll get smaller once you lose some of the fat, but for while with the bigger muscles under the fat they could be bigger.