Cinnamon Advice Needed

Options
Joannie30
Joannie30 Posts: 415 Member
After reading online that cinnamon can be beneficial for blood sugar etc, i have bought some ground cinnamon, some sticks and some capsules.

What i would like to know is, how much to take per day. What is the best form to take? Should i have ground cinnamon with/after everything i eat? or just once a day? before or after food?

Any help appreciated.

Jx

Replies

• Sl1ghtly
    Sl1ghtly Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    Mix 1/4 cup cinnamon with 1/2 cup diatomaceous earth 1 cup water 1/4 cup lemon juice and 1/4 cup cayenne pepper juice. Drink six times a day.
  • Zichu
    Zichu Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    This site had a few interesting facts about cinnamon, health benefits and such. It says you should take about half a teaspoon a day.

http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/nutrition/a/cinnamonbenefit.htm
  • Nanadena
    Nanadena Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    I drink a couple of cups of Cinnamon Sick tea (Bigelow) every day. I also take 2 cinnamon 1000 mg once or twice a day.
  • kcphilly
    kcphilly Posts: 71
    Options
    I put a little ground cinnamon in my protein shakes for the morning, and then at night with my greek yogurt. Just a few "dashes" of the ground, I don't measure it.
  • Joannie30
    Joannie30 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    I drink a couple of cups of Cinnamon Sick tea (Bigelow) every day. I also take 2 cinnamon 1000 mg once or twice a day.

Do you find it effective?
  • baxgilter
    baxgilter Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Mix 1/4 cup cinnamon with 1/2 cup diatomaceous earth 1 cup water 1/4 cup lemon juice and 1/4 cup cayenne pepper juice. Drink six times a day.

^ has made my day :)
  • Schnuddelbuddel
    Schnuddelbuddel Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    I usually add the ground cinnamon to my porridge in the morning :)

Hope you find a tasty way for yourself :)
  • vartanfan71
    vartanfan71 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I take 1000 mg twice a day and my fasting sugar was 86 and diabetes runs in my family. I also give it to my kids to help them. Its seems to keep it in a good range.
  • tinkermommc
    tinkermommc Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    I love to sprinkle it in my coffee!
  • Sh1tsRainbows
    Sh1tsRainbows Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    just eat one BIG tablespoon full!!!! (then try and breathe) :flowerforyou:
  • Victoria2448
    Victoria2448 Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    After reading online that cinnamon can be beneficial for blood sugar etc, i have bought some ground cinnamon, some sticks and some capsules.

What i would like to know is, how much to take per day. What is the best form to take? Should i have ground cinnamon with/after everything i eat? or just once a day? before or after food?

Any help appreciated.

Jx

Since there are some active substances in cinnamon that could potentially harm you if taken in excess.(Coumarin is one, which is a blood thinner) It is advised that you take no more than 4 grams per day or no more than about 1/2 teaspoons.

Look into the different kinds of cinnamon too. :)
  • Altandra
    Altandra Posts: 8
    Options
    I take 2 capsules daily. I feel like it has been helping.
  • mandie0378
    mandie0378 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    One thing to watch about cinnamon is it can trigger migraines in some people. I used to have chronic migraines and finally started getting better. I took the cinnamon for about 3 months and noticed that I went from 1 migraine a month to 1 a week. Better than the 3-4 a week I use to have, but not worth it.
  • ckp0818
    ckp0818 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    You might want to do some research on this because there are 2 different kinds of cinnamon - Ceylon and cassia cinnamon.
    here is some of the things I found -

Cassia is a close relative to Cinnamon Cassia's flavour, however is less delicate than that of true Cinnamon; for this reason, Cassia is less expensive. There is a natural constituent contained in all types of Cinnamon known as coumarin. Some European countries have done safety studies on this component of Cinnamon and believes it can cause liver damage in some who are sensitive (although the damage is not permanent) and if taken in doses too high can be detrimental to your health. Cassia cinnamon is mostly commonly found in the US used in supplements, products and in your spice jars, so it is important to read labels.

Ceylon Cinnamon is considered by many to be "true" cinnamon and originates specifically from the tree known as cinnamomum zeylanicum. Ceylon cinnamon has a flavor that is sweeter and more refined than that of the cassia variety. It is typically more expensive and may be a more difficult to find than the cassia cinnamon varieties. For this reason cassia is used more often in American kitchens than Ceylon cinnamon. Ceylon cinnamon usually can be purchased in specialty shops and online. I get mine at Penzeys Spices. Compared to cassia cinnamon, the Ceylon variety contains very little coumarin, which can damage your liver when taken in large amounts, so some health officials recommend Ceylon cinnamon as a healthier alternative.
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I would just eat it on various things.

If pills really worked (magic pills!!) we would not be a nation of disease ridden fat people.

My doctor just says to workout and take a women's multivitamin.

Cinnamon is great in oatmeal, or in various dishes.
  • Onesnap
    Options

I think I'll keep the DE for my garden and also for the chickens dust baths.

I know the DE you're talking about is food grade but GROSS.
  • Onesnap
    Options

Do you find it effective?

Keep in mind this brand of tea is not real tea and in some countries is not considered tea.

Try to get the whole leaf tea and you can use a cinnamon stick in it. that way you're getting the antioxidant power. Bigelow is not real tea. Herbal tea is not real tea.
  • mabennett
    mabennett Posts: 53
    Options

that's a LOT of DE! how are you not plugged up from all that?
  • ckp0818
    ckp0818 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I added in my protein shake, oatmeal, hot tea, greek yogurt. I think it has helps in suppressing my appetite and I was hoping it would help with high blood pressure but no such luck.