Anyone else just starting "New Rules of Lifting for Women"?

Options
DAM_Fine
DAM_Fine Posts: 1,292 Member
I'd like to find out more about what others are doing as far as weight lifted, any changes to food, what you're doing on the 'off' days, that kind of thing.

I will be lifting on M-W-F. My first day was Monday and since I've never done anything like this, I started off just lifting with the barbell alone(it weighs 15 pounds) and the dumbbells (they weigh 2.5 lbs each). I got through the exercises just fine adn wasn't too sore the next day, so I decided that was too light. Wednesday I added 10 pounds to the barbell (total weight now 25 lbs) and five pounds to each dumbbell. Still made it through the exercises, but I could definitely feel it. Today I feel slightly 'bruised' just about everywhere. So, am I a wimp because 25 pounds is all I used? It is, after all, almost a quarter of my body weight.

On the days between (T-T-S), I will do my usual yoga in the morning (15 min), stairs/running (30 min) at lunchtime, and a cardio workout in the evening (30 min).

Sundays I take the day off, except for the yoga. I do that every morning - just my way of waking up.

I've added an extra, but smaller, protein shake at the end of my lifting, but otherwise haven't changed much about what I'm eating.

Replies

• rrrbecca11
    rrrbecca11 Posts: 477
    Options
    I ordered that book and received it a couple of days ago but have not looked at it yet. A friend of mine on here is on the program and seems to be doing great. I will get started on it soon. Right now I am just training with my 5, 8 and 10 lb. dumbells.

I'll be following your progress.

:flowerforyou:
  • LittleElephant
    LittleElephant Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Was planning to order the book at the weekend. Interested in other peoples answers.
  • _Khaleesi_
    _Khaleesi_ Posts: 877 Member
    Options
    I'm just finishing the book right now. I started lifting this week and will be doing the new rules program starting next week. I also lift M-W-F
  • AnarchoGen
    AnarchoGen Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Carolyn_79
    Carolyn_79 Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    I'm on my third workout of Stage 1. Here's what I did for 2 sets of 15 reps.

Squats-60 pounds
    Row-60 pounds
    Shoulder Raises-30 pounds (15 in each hand)
    Deadlift-65 pounds
    Lunges-30 pounds (15 in each hand)
    Step-Ups-30 pounds (15 in each hand and using the incline bench instead of a box or steps).

I plan on raising the weight on a few of these next workout. It was my first go at things so I wasn't exactly sure what I could do.

I jog on two of my non-weight lifting days and I also do cardio after my weight-lifting. I take two days off a week.
  • Meiplé
    Meiplé Posts: 50
    Options
    I have never heard of this book. is it good?
    I have wrote a post, which has no replies :cry: as I am a beginner and don't know what equipment etc I will need. Will this tell me all I need to know?
  • carolann_22
    carolann_22 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    I am starting tomorrow (if the book comes from Amazon like it's supposed to!
  • Carolyn_79
    Carolyn_79 Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    I have never heard of this book. is it good?
    I have wrote a post, which has no replies :cry: as I am a beginner and don't know what equipment etc I will need. Will this tell me all I need to know?

Yes it'll tell you what you need to know. Great book and I would recommend it. If you workout at home you'd have to buy some weights, an olympic bar, and probably a squat rack. You could check out Craig's List for some deals. I find it just easier to go to the gym rather than have to buy the equipment. I'm in an apartment so space is limited.
  • Meiplé
    Meiplé Posts: 50
    Options
    thank you fuzzy bunny_12 :flowerforyou:
  • sevencallmemom
    sevencallmemom Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    I read the book a couple of weeks ago and need to get some heavier weights...10 is the heaviest I have at home and with 7 kids, going to the gym just isn't going to happen. I'm really looking forward to getting started though.
  • lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    I've read it, started setting up my logs, but haven't started yet. I figure I'd better stick with my 5k training until my 5k. I'll be starting in May. Looking forward to it!

Everyone starts out in their own weight range. No one is a wimp for using less weight! Some of us have been more active or less active or more into weights or not all our lives. So it's no big deal! You're only trying to best yourself, right?
  • tinkerbell42381
    tinkerbell42381 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I just got it yesterday, and I'm really excited to get started!
  • jazzykay1971
    Options
    I have a friend 00trayn, shes been doing this for a while now, you might look her up! Shes great! :)
  • sbrBirdy
    sbrBirdy Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Definitely check out the group. And it's not perfect, but you can get by with dumbbells. (I do)
  • FITnFIRM4LIFE
    FITnFIRM4LIFE Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    Bump* 4 later
  • sabrina32576
    sabrina32576 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    I'm getting ready to start. I need to make my plan over the weekend and start on Monday. Feel free to add me.
  • eedossa
    eedossa Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I am currently in the middle 8 week training session, but I am all set to start NWLRFW on April 16. I am planning to do M-W-F as well. Good luck!
  • Jennifer0878
    Jennifer0878 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I am finishing up Stage 3 tomorrow, so I hope you don't mind if I chime in.

When I started, I was using adjustable dumbbells and that's all I had. They range 5-55 lb. each. I thought this would be good enough for me, as I am working out at home. I quickly found that I was going to need more weights if I was serious about the program.

At the end of Stage 1, I ordered an Olympic set of weights (300 lb. of weights with a 45 lb. bar), an incline bench and a squat rack.....It made a HUGE difference in my workouts.

At the beginning of Stage 1, I started with the following weights:

Squat: 40 lb.
    Row: 30 lb.
    Step ups: 40 lb. (total weight)

I am now squatting 90 lb., rowing 65 lb. and still stepping up with 40 (but my step is twice as high as when I started). So, I'm making progress, but I wouldn't have been able to make as much progress if I didn't have the Olympic weight set.

Everyone is different, so you have to start with weights that are heavy for YOU.

Feel free to add me if you want.
  • shirleygirl910
    shirleygirl910 Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    Love this book! I have always concentrated on cardio thinking I would lose the fat that way. This book explains the importance of weights too. It really works.

You're doing great, keep it up!