Sooo....frustrated

Options
Hello all! My name is Heather and I'm 29. I have at least 200 lbs to lose. So far, in 11 weeks, I have lost 18.8. For the first 9 weeks I changed my diet only and just started using my fitness pal about two weeks ago because WW just wasn't working. Also 2 weeks ago, I started going to the gym three days per week. I have lost 3 pounds since starting with my fitness pal and the gym, but my weight fluctuates worse than a yo-yo despite exercise, eating well, and staying within my calorie goal. My clothes continue to fit better and are getting loose, but the number on the scale is drivng me crazy! I have to lose this weight, I'm tired of being unhealthy and I had a P.A. tell me I would never be successful without surgery. I AM NOT HAVING SURGERY! Just looking for some support or words of wisdom. Thanks!

Replies

• phillieschic
    Options
    Hi, Heather! First, most people on here will tell you to throw away your scale. The numbers don't mean anything especially in the beginning. Keep up what you're doing and maybe wait a month and then hop back on. Losing inches is way more exciting (especially in the beginning) than pounds. If your clothes are loosening up a little, then what you are doing is progress and reward enough for now.

Feel free to add me. I'm Jennifer, 36, from Newark, Delaware! :happy:

(EDIT: I'm 38...subliminally I put 36...wishful thinking, I guess!)
  • smdays94403
    Options
    Heather, hang in there! don't give up! trust me...it is going to work. You are already noticing the difference. It just takes time. Trust me, once you get into the routine of exercising, it will become natural. Then you find yourself getting so excited about losing the weight and toning up, that you DON'T want to miss exercising. Trust me girl! YOU CAN DO THIS! don't give up, and PLEASE do not listen to the negative nellies out there! LOL! I was at 235 lbs...the most I have ever weighed and now I'm down 45 lbs. (but it does fluctuate...I was down 52 lbs) so, you just have to hang in there and keep going! Prove to yourself, YOU can do this! I'm here anytime you feel frustrated! Best wishes!
  • vampey2000
    Options
    It's very hard to resist the temptation of the scale. Everyone wants to know how much you've lost. But I know that I SHOULD stay away from it, I'm an RN for Pete's sake...I do know better :happy: I have to get in the mind set that this is al ife change and stop focusing on how much weight I need to lose. If it was only as easily done as it is said.
  • drewbird911
    drewbird911 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Just keep it up and it will improve. If you do weigh yourself be consistent same time each time because your weight will fluctuate greatly each day. If you do go up don't beat your self up. It sounds like your doing very well with progress 1-2 #'s a week toning up... Keep it up what else are you going to do...
  • jenn_may
    jenn_may Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Hi, Heather. I have 61 lbs to lose. I am in the same boat as you. I am seeing a difference in my body, but the scale doesn't reflect what I see. I know I am gaining muscle and that is why the number isn't changing. I promise that you are doing all the right things. Just keep doing the work and it will come off. You will gain all the muscle underneath and then the fat will go. Just deciding to be healthier is a success. I wish you all the best! Have a happy and healthy day!
  • jenn_may
    jenn_may Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Also, if you have what it takes to complete nursing school you have what it takes to lose the weight!
  • cjones27
    cjones27 Posts: 1
    Options
    Don't be discouraged! Society has put all kinds of false claims out there to makes us believe that weight loss is a quick and easy process! On the contrary, we have to be disciplined in our life styles to obtain desired results. You keep your focus on your goal, which is to lose 200lbs. You will have to settle into the idea that it will take you time to lose this weight but YOU CAN DO IT!

Realistically, it will take you approximately 1 year 10 months to lose 1 to 2 pounds per week. This type of weight lose is healthy and will be easy to maintain once you reach your goal because you were consistant. Stop watching the scale daily and weigh in once a week to make sure you are losing at least 1lb. per week but no more than 2lbs.

Do you plan on being around in 2 years? If your answer is yes to this question then take your time, count your calories, adopt a sensable excerise plan and stay focus. As you slowly train your body to adjust to your new life style you will begin to see your body respond to the new changes. Stay encouraged and you will accomplish what seems impossible right now! Today is the first day to the rest of your life! So put a smile on your face and know that you have every thing you need to succeed just FOCUS and you will get there.
  • fitnessbudget
    Options
    YOU'RE RIGHT!! :laugh:

1) Don't have surgery!!
    2) Your clothes fitting looser is a great indicator that the lifestyle changes made so far ARE WORKING!!
    3) We all get discouraged in the beginning. READ THE SUCCESS STORIES for motivation.
    4) Add me as a friend is you want. I'm older than you but can always use a new friend.

Best Wishes!! :flowerforyou: