Team Challenge, anyone?? Around the World in 90 Days

Options
Hey there,

I'm looking for a little extra motivation for the next 3 months. What better way than with a trip around the world?!

If you walk a mile, you've burned around 100 calories. So we'll say that each 100 calories = 1 mile. Your workouts are up to you. Walk, Run, Swim, Bike, Row, Dance, etc - you choose how you burn, but the amount of calories burned are what matters here!

So how many miles do we have to burn to walk around the world?? The circumference of the earth at the equator is 24,901.55 miles.

So I'm thinking teams of 5 people - led by one captain who reports in daily for the team. I'll update a chart each day to show the teams' progress. There will be special challenge where if you participate in the challenge, you get bonus points, and there will be double & triple points days thrown in there as well. First team to make it to the finish line gets bragging rights!

STEP 1
Captains declare yourselves here, then go find yourself a team!! Don't want to be a captain, but you'd like to join in the fun? You can send me a message and I will make sure you're matched up with a captain!

STEP 2
When the teams are full, captains report back to me with a Team Name and the members of your team.

STEP 3
We will start logging miles April 1st. I will start a new thread for logging that morning, but captains are welcome to start their own logging threads for each team, or do it by messaging, or whatever each team decides...

And in the meantime, add each team member as an MFP Friend so you can motivate and encourage each other!

So let's make some new MFP friends, burn some calories and take a little trip, shall we??

Who's with me?

Replies

• Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    This is a great idea... I was very motivated to get moving when we did the "row the world", it would be fun to do this again.

Count me in - though I'm not going to volunteer as a captain as I'm travelling a bit in the next little while and won't have a lot of time each day to do the co-ordination.

Come on people, let's get moving!!
  • run_momma_run
    Options
    Yay! I hope we get a lot of teams; Row the World last summer WAS a lot of fun, wasn't it?!?!
  • mabug01
    mabug01 Posts: 1,273 Member
    Options
    I would love to do this challenge and I volunteer to be a captain if you give me a little advice on how to be a great captain.
  • run_momma_run
    Options
    I would love to do this challenge and I volunteer to be a captain if you give me a little advice on how to be a great captain.

That's not too hard to do - just rally a team and then be there for them to motivate them and encourage them. Be the best MFP friend you can be for your teammates!

So I'll put you down as a captain, then. You can ask your current MFP friends if they want to join you, or you can start a new thread here to find yourself a team (or you can do both!)

I'm really looking forward to this!!
  • run_momma_run
    Options
    This is a great idea... I was very motivated to get moving when we did the "row the world", it would be fun to do this again.

Count me in - though I'm not going to volunteer as a captain as I'm travelling a bit in the next little while and won't have a lot of time each day to do the co-ordination.

Come on people, let's get moving!!

Would it be okay if I put you on my team, then?? We'll have to come up with a good team name... ;)
  • sophy28
    sophy28 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Oh i'm in!! Anyone want me on their team? :D
  • mabug01
    mabug01 Posts: 1,273 Member
    Options
    I have 2 people so far on my team. Who else is starting a team?
  • run_momma_run
    Options
    Let's do this!!
  • run_momma_run
    Options
    Oh i'm in!! Anyone want me on their team? :D

Hi sophie28 - did mabug01 already snag you for her team, or would you like to join mine?? I'm PM you.

And I've just discovered that the challenges are now on groups, so I've just set that up. The group is here: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/4312-around-the-world-in-90-days-april-to-june
  • ConnieB1979
    ConnieB1979 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    ME ME ME!!!!! How fun!
  • Justacoffeenut
    Justacoffeenut Posts: 3,808 Member
    Options
    Sounds fun. But i measure in steps not miles. Willing to be on a team. Need the motivation.
  • cyclerjenn
    cyclerjenn Posts: 835 Member
    Options
    I can use some motivation these days so count me in. Who's team can I join?
  • lisaontiveros13
    lisaontiveros13 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I would love to do this. Looking for a team to join. Anyone? Anyone?

P.S. I'm new to MFP but have been working on weight loss/fitness for 7 months and have lost 30-35 lbs, depending on the day.
  • monkeypantz
    monkeypantz Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Amazing Idea!!!! I'm in....could possible be a Team Captain - if you like :) But this will be my first fitness challenge, so not sure if I have enough experience to be a team captain!
  • amayarnell
    amayarnell Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    this sounds awesome. id like to participate, although, id prefer to not be a captain. im training for a 10k now and a 1/2 marathon here soon...so this would be great motivation to get those miles in!
  • jipsybird
    jipsybird Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    This is a great idea! I would love to join a team. Already joined in the group :)
  • ConnieB1979
    ConnieB1979 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    this sounds awesome. id like to participate, although, id prefer to not be a captain. im training for a 10k now and a 1/2 marathon here soon...so this would be great motivation to get those miles in!

My sister and I are running our first 5k in June....this will help to keep me motivated:happy:
  • dellafiora3395
    dellafiora3395 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I'd love to join =]
  • Mandy2489
    Mandy2489 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I'd love to join. Who are the captians out there?
  • Randins2006
    Options
    oh this should be easy peasy. i burn about 1,000 cals a day JUST on the elliptical. idk how many miles that is because my machine is in the metric equivalent...i think? but ontop of that i zumba dance too:)) this sounds very fun and motivational! do u have any more rules/ guidelines?