Zumba question!

Options
Hi! I'm not sure if anyone has answered this before, but I couldnt really find it anywhere.

I'm 5'3", muscular, and about 130 pounds (typically 125, I slipped up last week!) and I want to try Zumba tonight.
Does anyone know approximately how many calories I'll burn in an hour of it?
I googled it and it said like 500-800, but I don't want to give myself back too many calories and then overeat, but I also don't want to only give myself a minimal amount then not eat enough back!

Any help would be greatly appreciated! :)

Replies

• LosingLizard
    Options
    I log it as Dancing - aerobic, modern. It's pretty close to what my BodyBugg says I burned, so it's a reasonable estimate.
  • sarahkraus1982
    sarahkraus1982 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I log it on MFP as Dancing, Aerobic I believe and it says about 200 or so calories for 25 minutes of Zumba. The Zumba I do is on XBox Kenect and it says I burn about 418 calories in 25 minutes but I think it's a little high.
    Hope that helps :).
  • hillary124
    hillary124 Posts: 112
    Options
    Wow, that calculator is awesome! Thank you so much :)
  • kountrygrl27
    kountrygrl27 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I truly depends on you, I was doing it and burning around 300 cals I purchased a hrm to make sure i calculate my calories burned accuratly, when i was posting it om mfp it was telling me i was burning 600... so i am glad i used my hrm.
  • hillary124
    Options
    Thanks everybody!

I wish I had access to Zumba like on a game system, but Im at college so basically all I have for working out is whatever the gym has :ohwell:
  • Sarahmeridith
    Sarahmeridith Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Im 218lbs and do beginner to intermediate zumba and burn about 200 calories in 20 minutes with my hrm
  • hillary124
    Options
    I think im going to try using a zumba calorie calculator, then using the aerobic dance method here on MFP, and maybe averaging the two amounts:)
  • Mzfoster0517
    Mzfoster0517 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    When I do it it generally says I've burned around 500 or little more, but I also don't do everything right when doing it LOL
    Hi! I'm not sure if anyone has answered this before, but I couldnt really find it anywhere.

I'm 5'3", muscular, and about 130 pounds (typically 125, I slipped up last week!) and I want to try Zumba tonight.
    Does anyone know approximately how many calories I'll burn in an hour of it?
    I googled it and it said like 500-800, but I don't want to give myself back too many calories and then overeat, but I also don't want to only give myself a minimal amount then not eat enough back!

Any help would be greatly appreciated! :)
  • anolan807
    anolan807 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    You will burn more in a class then the game anyway and the social part of it is always more fun. The best way to know is if you have a HRM . I put it in as aerobic dance.
  • EWilliamson
    EWilliamson Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I am 5'2 and 130 (usually 125) also! I burn anywhere from 400-600! You will LOOOOVE Zumba. It is a blast. I hate to miss class because it so much fun! A lot has to do with the teacher though. My teacher is awesome...she is very in to it and makes it sooo fun! Good luck..you def will be surprised at the workout you get from it! :)
  • hillary124
    Options
    When I do it it generally says I've burned around 500 or little more, but I also don't do everything right when doing it LOL

Hahahah thats what im afraid of!
    I did a cardio class once and could barely do half the stuff I felt so ashamed :P
  • sheilapierro
    sheilapierro Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Polar Watch FT4 is amazing and will give you the exact calories you burned. I tried the www.zumbacalories.com
    and compared it with my polar watch and it was never the same. The website (zumbacalories) was always higher then what was on my watch :ohwell:
  • hillary124
    Options
    I am 5'2 and 130 (usually 125) also! I burn anywhere from 400-600! You will LOOOOVE Zumba. It is a blast. I hate to miss class because it so much fun! A lot has to do with the teacher though. My teacher is awesome...she is very in to it and makes it sooo fun! Good luck..you def will be surprised at the workout you get from it! :)

Im glad you have such a positive review of it! Ive always been scared to try it but Im getting so bored doing regular cardio so im glad alot of people like it, it make me not as scared to try it!
  • hillary124
    Options
    Polar Watch FT4 is amazing and will give you the exact calories you burned. I tried the www.zumbacalories.com
    and compared it with my polar watch and it was never the same. The website (zumbacalories) was always higher then what was on my watch :ohwell:

Uh oh! Ok. I think im going to try a few different things then maybe average the numbers, I just want to get as close as I can so I dont over/under eat!
  • steve3146
    steve3146 Posts: 26
    Options
    That's the question my girlfriend and I have wondered. We logged it as aerobics low intensity to mid intensity.
  • lmbigsby
    lmbigsby Posts: 36
    Options
    Purchase a HRM that calculates your calories burned. I average 800 doing a 55 minute class. I find it pretty accurate when I do Zumba on the Wii or run on a treadmill because it calculates on your heart rate. I love Zumba, totally addicted. Attending class is so much better than doing DVD's or games but I do enjoy my Zumba Fitness 1 and 2 for my Wii.
  • hillary124
    Options
    Purchase a HRM that calculates your calories burned. I average 800 doing a 55 minute class. I find it pretty accurate when I do Zumba on the Wii or run on a treadmill because it calculates on your heart rate. I love Zumba, totally addicted. Attending class is so much better than doing DVD's or games but I do enjoy my Zumba Fitness 1 and 2 for my Wii.

Im so excited to try it!
    Do you usually eat before you go for a little bit of energy?
    My class is at 5:30 so I wont eat dinner till after, but I dont wanna get tired if I dont eat before!
  • amandasnow78
    amandasnow78 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I do Zumba as well, and according to the calculater I burn 907 calories. Zumba is what they say a party :) you have fun and burn the calories that you need to burn. I am addicted.
  • LovelyLF1
    Options
    I love Zumba too! I don't eat much right before because I always do the high intensity version and food in my stomach seems to weigh me down. About 30-45 minutes before class, I eat a Lara bar and it seems to be perfect. They are all natural so it isn't like a sugar high which will drop you half way through the hour class. The Lara bar gives me just the right amount of energy without being to heavy so I can still go all out in class.

I have been buying my Lara bars at Whole Foods or natural food stores. I heard about them on Biggest Loser and I am now a fan. Be careful if you chose to eat a full meal before class, if you do high intensity, it may make you sick.

Zumba is so fun! I hope you enjoy it!