Need Snack ideas!

Options
I recently upped my calorie intake to see if I can get out of this plateu, and I need more snack ideas! My ususal snacks are a piece of fruit, or cottage cheese, sometimes yogurt. I need to add some healthy calories to my snacks, please help! Please keep in mind...I hate nuts. Thanx!

Replies

• Bmjnash
    Bmjnash Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I love fruit! I keep u huge bowl in the fridge so I can snack from it when I get hungry. Also for snacks hard boiled eggs, peanut butter on toast, pretzels, healthy ceral.
  • cattracy0829
    cattracy0829 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Pretzels, Nutri-grain bars, popcorn...
  • plzlbsbegone
    Options
    more ideas please? Thanks!
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    String cheese, popcorn (air popped), Laughing cow cheese wedges with pretzels, Sensible Portions veggie straws, red peppers and hummus, peanut butter, roasted chick peas (easy to make....so good! high calorie though, so be careful).
  • IveLanded
    IveLanded Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    my go-to snacks are:

larabars
    hummus & pretzels or carrots
    an apple with almond or peanut butter
    dryers sugar-free all-fruit popcicles
  • privatetime
    privatetime Posts: 118
    Options
    I like spicy hummus with a small, wholegrain pita. Just put a dollop on a plate, and nuke the pita for 10 seconds (if you prefer it warm), and you're done.

I like 4 Brazil nuts, or 5 almonds, or 8-10 black pepper pustachios, with a glass of tomato juice. ...Surprisingly filling. EDIT: Oops! Sorry. You hate nuts. Skip that suggestion. ;-)

Edamame! A cup or two frozen edamame in boiling water for 5-7 minutes, drained, salted (optional), and you're snacking!

A piece of wholegrain bread with blackstrap molasses, plus a half glass of grapefruit juice. The juice helps you absorb the most iron from the molasses and the wholegrain bread. (Women are often a bit iron deficient.) (Edamame and spinach are also good sources of iron.)

A 'Bounce' spirulina ginseng energy ball. Much better way to get some spirulina in you than stinky supplements.

I eat curry lentil soup as a snack, by having just a half cup. Same with baked beans. Microwave for a minute, and you're golden.

I'm also weird, in that a bowl of kale, or a small bowl of clear soup, might be a "snack". I drizzle a sweet balsamic glaze over the kale. The soup is super-fast to make, using vegetable broth brought to a boil, with some green onion, fennel slices, and some bok choy tossed in at the last minute. 10 minutes, maybe?

Celery sticks! With just 8 calories for an entire stalk and a GI rank if 0, they're filling without beng fattening. No...wait... You're looking for MORE calories. ;-) Scratch the celery.

A 'seed shot'... Get a shot glass and layer different seeds in it. I usually start with dry roasted sunflower seeds, then a layer of sesame seeds, topped with pumpkin seeds. It gets some seeds into me, and the shot glass ensures I don't go overboard. The pumpkin seeds are a good, natural source of zinc, which is good for the immune system and libido.

That's all I can think of, off the top of my head.

Goid luck!
  • sweetsuzyq21
    sweetsuzyq21 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I second the hummus and Laughing Cow - you can buy Pretzel Thins that are like flat, fat pretzels and spread the Laughing Cow on it - delish!

There are also Special K Cracker Chips, which are soooooo good! You can eat 27 of them for 150 cals. I add them to my lunches when I have salad and fruit, to add a light carb to fill me up. They taste like chips without the cals.

Check out Green Giant Cracker Chips - they are literally baked carrots in chip form. Also a great snack and good way to add in more veggies.