Gained weight! :( Time to go grocery shopping

Options
Bakerchk
Bakerchk Posts: 424 Member
Okay everyone, it's time to get down to business! I have been having some issues staying in my 1200 calorie range and need to kick my butt into shape. I am going grocery shopping this weekend and need some advice. One of the things I am trying to steer clear from is frozen meals (even smart ones, etc) because of the sodium levels. I am highly addicted to pepsi and make room for it when I can, which I know is bad! I need filling meals that satisfy me and don't go over my calorie level.
Please suggest foods that you enjoy! FYI: I am lactose intolerance, so no milk, cheese (cheddar is okay) yogurt, ice cream, etc.

Thank you! I am excited to see what people have to say! :)

Replies

• akm4108
    akm4108 Posts: 7
    Options
    If you really want to see a big change in your body.

Base your 1200 calories off of four food groups.: Lean Meats (turkey,chicken,lean steak), Veggies, Fruits, and Nuts (almonds,walnuts,pistachios,and cashews).

Example of a food for a day to hit the 1200 calories mark:
    breakfast: 2 eggs in the morning w/turkey.
    snack: Fruit or nuts(apple, orange, berries)
    Lunch: Chicken & Veggies (any meat will work)
    Snack: Fruit or nuts
    Dinner : lean meat with veggies

Drink plenty of water throughout the day!
  • emhill21
    emhill21 Posts: 130
    Options
    Fruit is my new go-to, low calorie, supplement to meals plus it satisfies my "sweet" cravings
  • IveLanded
    IveLanded Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    High protein and greens keep my feeling full. I put chopped kale or spinach into lots of things.

My breakfasts are often scrambled egg whites with some veggies tossed in on a sprouted grain tortilla. You can eat lots of egg whites for very little calories and be super filled.

Lunch and dinner is often a protein and a veggie. I grill chicken breasts a few at a time to use over the week. You can make salads, wraps, simmer it in a sauce, etc etc.

I eat a lot of baked talapia.

My nutritionist doesn't love it, but I also eat tuna probably once a week. Tuna makes a good salad with spinach.

My grocery staples are usually apples, spinach, kale, talapia, chicken breasts, sprouted grain bagels and tortillas, a few bags of frozen fruit for smoothies, hummus for snacks.
  • pamperedlinny
    pamperedlinny Posts: 1,585 Member
    Options
    I use my george forman grill a lot to get quick lunches for work. i'll grill a boneless, skinless chicken breast or a lean burger, pork chop...you name it. Then I steam veggies and put it all in one of those trays with the sections...two portions veggies, one meat. And when it's lunch time |I just re-nuke it. |Only takes 5 minutes to prep in the morning and it's delish at lunch time.

Also, for a snack |i get good lunch meat turkey breast sliced kinda thin. I'll take two slices, put a pickle in it and roll it up. It's kinda like a sandwich with no bread. And the protein makes you fuller longer.
  • BruteSquad
    BruteSquad Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I have A LOT more calories than you on a daily basis, but to stay full, here is what I do.

I eat about 40% protein. That solves a lot of the hunger issues, and I got to that number with a nutritionist that started me at 45% protein.

So if you like fish, lean meat of any type. (Boring lean ground beef with cumin, garlic powder, onion, paprika, and hot red pepper you have lean taco meat)
    It isn't exciting, but Romaine Salads take up a lot of space. A serving is TWO CUPS. Add some almonds and various other veggies, maybe some grapes. Yum.
    I am also a big fan of the split pea soup with a little ham in it. Lean ham is best of course. Cumberland gap makes a good 97% lean ham.
    Sweet potato.....Yum, nutritious, and fills me up.
    Egg whites and eggs are your friend. Two whole eggs with two egg whites added. good stuff.

If you need more specifics, drop me a message.
  • kristen6022
    kristen6022 Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I'd back away from the frozen meals entirely. Sodium overload. Actually, I try and stay away from the frozen section of the grocery store entirely. It's true what people say about trying to do most of your shopping around the outer perimeter of the store. For lunches I make either a salad the night before with a lean protein (chicken, salmon, shrimp, etc) and have some kind a of fruit with it. Egg Beaters or Oatmeal for breakfast and for dinner I'll either try a new recipe or just grill some chicken and make a veggy. I also like spicy food and I've found that Franks Red Hot makes everything taste better! I always have spinach, lettuce and some kind of peppers in my fridge too. Almonds are great snacks, so are low fat/high protein granola bars.

I do 95% of my grocery shopping at Aldi (not sure if you have one local) if you do, I highly recommend it to stay low on budget. Awesome produce for half of the price of the regular stores. Their frozen medium easy peel shrimp have saved my life plenty of times. Oh, if you like dill pickles they have these baby ones that are literally no calories, fat, carbs etc. They are high in sodium, but for a snack you can't beat "free".

If you check my food diary you'll see I really try to not eat carby things (other than beer, but that's another story entirely). I try and stay away from pastas (other than once a week and always wheat), rice (if I do it's brown), and bread (Smart and Delicious makes a Whole Wheat wrap that is 100 calorie and way taster than bread).

There's my 2 cents. Good luck!
  • Bakerchk
    Options
    I see no one mentioned things like rice and pasta. Should I not be eating these things? I have a hard time feeling FULL unless I have carbs like bread, rice and pasta. Usually for dinner I make a lean meat with a veggie and pasta or rice. Is this not good? This could be where I am messing up.
  • Bakerchk
    Options
    By the way, thank you everyone for responding. I already have a better idea of where I am going wrong. :) You guys rock!
  • Bakerchk
    Options
    I also like spicy food and I've found that Franks Red Hot makes everything taste better!

Agreed. I actually love Siracha Sauce and I believe it's only 10-15 calories for a tablespoon or something (when really a few drops will do!)
  • samf36
    samf36 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I see no one mentioned things like rice and pasta. Should I not be eating these things? I have a hard time feeling FULL unless I have carbs like bread, rice and pasta. Usually for dinner I make a lean meat with a veggie and pasta or rice. Is this not good? This could be where I am messing up.

Are you measuring your rice and pasta. For me I only have one SERVING a few times a week. Look at the serving size and measure you might be over doing it also look for the whole wheat version of pasta and breads.
  • Bakerchk
    Options

Are you measuring your rice and pasta. For me I only have one SERVING a few times a week. Look at the serving size and measure you might be over doing it also look for the whole wheat version of pasta and breads.

Yes I measure everything I eat. I was on weight watchers for awhile so I have got into the habit. I just didn't realize I shouldn't be eating it everyday. :(
  • samf36
    samf36 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Really it is up to you if you want to eat it everyday. I choose to eat other items for my calories.
  • rebeccap13
    rebeccap13 Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    Why are you only eating 1200 cals a day?
  • DistortedButterfly
    DistortedButterfly Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Veggies
  • Toniithia
    Toniithia Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    you can always work out to earn more calories, so you don't have to worry about sodium that much! but you still have to think wisely about what you're eating. I've never had a problem with pop, but I think if I were you I'd try switching to diet pepsi? I know it probably doesn't taste that good but it's probably better than nothing. Try to drink more water too. I have really no food reccomendations other than lots of veggies and fresh fruits! whole grains, by something to replace dairy, they normally have that in a certain section of the store, some dairy helps burn fat (like skim milk) but if you can't drink that, try a substitute? rice cakes are always good for snacks.

for workouts, I remember getting Tae Bo, it's a 30 minute workout and gets you sweating like crazy! I do it everyday, love it.
  • destiny3984
    Options
    I know that feeling!! I am going myself tonight. My weight has been up and down the past few weeks. I use spark recipes a lot. It's a great site that has tons of good, healthy recipes. Even gives you the calories and everything!
  • MissNations
    MissNations Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    Tabbouli! Bulgur wheat is high in fiber and very filling.
  • mboutselis
    mboutselis Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worry about eating pasta daily, as long as your still staying within your cals and and staying under with your other areas. There isn't neccesarily a "magic" recipe...its about eating what works for you and staying within your goals. It is a good idea to mix things up though, just like with your excercise.
  • valpreston
    Options
    I eat rice, quinoa, coucous and pastas regularly. Rice is always brown (usually basmati), pastas are wholegrain (omega-3 enriched), and wholegrain, multigrain breads (I could live off of just bread, especially if fresh baked)
    Lunches consist of a serving of one of these, with 2-3 oz of lean meat and veggies (usually broccoli slaw, julienned carrots, corn, etc.) I spend time on the weekend making up to-go containers of these and freezing them - then I don't have to remember to refrigerate (keep in the drawer at work) and don't have to worry about forgetting stuff in the fridge at work. I also make clean eating, wholegrain mini-muffins or mini pancakes to snack on. A blueberry buckwheat pancake with greek yogurt for snack, mmm. Or I could not freeze some of the quinoa and meat and have it over romaine (don't need a salad dressing), it is just difficult to pack a container big enough for a serving of greens to eat for lunch (usually have to settle for a half serving).
    Quite often lunches are leftovers from the dinner the night before.
  • valpreston
    Options
    Why are you only eating 1200 cals a day?
    She is probably close to her goal weight. My daughter is about 145 lbs, with maybe 10 lbs left to go and at 5'2" and her activity level, her recommended calories from MFP is 1200 calories. Since she has started training for a mini-marathon she has been eating back some of her exercise calories