Has anyone tried the 17 Day Diet and had good results?

Options
I'm needing fairly fast weightloss, I want to lose 10 lbs in 4 weeks and I bought this book today. I know its been recommended on Dr.Phil so I was wondering if anyone here had success?

Replies

• bethalow7
    Options
    Never heard of it but I am way interested because I too am hoping to lose weight fast
  • shellyhef1
    Options
    I am doing the 17 day diet now. I have been following it to the T,. I am only on my 11th day, and have lost 7.2lbs. I eat half a cup of egg whites for breakfast, one Greek yogurt daily, cottage cheese with grapes, lean meats, and two fruits a day. and drink lots of water! my husband lost 8 lbs by day 7! good luck!!
  • jeichacker
    jeichacker Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I am also trying the 17 day diet, today is day 8, I am constipated, so can't lose weight if the waste isn't being gotten rid of right? Anyone else have this issue? I do have the Liv Active cottage cheese by Breakstone's daily as recommended in the book.
  • SanDFit
    SanDFit Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I'm doing the 17 day diet and I've lost 7.2lbs in 11 days. This seems to be working for me.
  • mischa_12
    mischa_12 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    wow that's fantastic! congratulations.

I'm on day one of this diet and so far so good, it helps when you go shopping and see all the amazing clothes that you could one day fit into!
  • jimdevere
    Options
    4 days on cycle 1 = 3 kg down :)
  • CAN_DO
    CAN_DO Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    This sounds brilliant - i have never heard of it.

What do you do - stave yourselves .....

Tell me what you have to do x
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Need or want?

Dr Phil is a psychologist not a nutritionist or physiologist. I haven't, and won't, use this particular diet. It's another in a long line of high protein, low carb programs. If you stick to it you will lose weight, fairly quickly initially. And, more than likely, you'll be one of the 90% of dieters who put the weight right back on when they revert to old eating habits.

If you want to keep the weight off you should forget the word "diet" and think in terms of healthy lifestyle changes. Eat a balanced nutritious diet with a modest caloric deficit and exercise.
  • vindhi
    vindhi Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    hi can you anyone just telll me please about 17 days dite plan.i want to try it. thank you
  • jimdevere
    Options
    Need or want?

Dr Phil is a psychologist not a nutritionist or physiologist. I haven't, and won't, use this particular diet. It's another in a long line of high protein, low carb programs. If you stick to it you will lose weight, fairly quickly initially. And, more than likely, you'll be one of the 90% of dieters who put the weight right back on when they revert to old eating habits.

If you want to keep the weight off you should forget the word "diet" and think in terms of healthy lifestyle changes. Eat a balanced nutritious diet with a modest caloric deficit and exercise.

Dr Phil didn't write the plan. Dr Mike Moreno, a physician, did.

If you can see past the word "diet" and actually read the book you'll see that it is exactly what you suggest, a way to change bad eating habits to create a healthy lifestyle change. It promotes eating lean protein, healthy carbs, avoiding refined processed foods in favour of whole foods, and exercising. Pretty good advice really.

The first 17 day block is designed to break the sweet/carb habit before good carbs are slowly reintroduced to the diet.(Diet as in foods habitually eaten by a person).

Vindhi - have a look at www.the17daydiet.com, or Google it. There is plenty of info on the web about it. You can probably find enough not to need to buy the book. There is also a Facebook page with loads of info and recipes etc.
  • rjsbdsjas
    rjsbdsjas Posts: 20
    Options
    I agree!!! A high protein and extremely low carb diet is also hard on your kidneys. It puts your body into ketoacidosis.
  • mallory3411
    mallory3411 Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    It is a VERY restrictive diet. There are four 17 day cycles... the first one is basically no carbs. You can only eat two pieces of fruit. Only have probiotic dairy. I have read the book but can't remember all the foods from the various cycles. Basically you are adding in a bit of different foods with each cycle.

It can be hard to stick to as it is very restrictive. You don't drink alcohol on it. It has some goo dpoints (focusing on lean meants and fresh veggies) however it is very limited. This is something that a lot of people have and will have a hard time sticking with which will cause them to gain weight easily.

You lose weight on it as it is a very low cal diet. I plugged the suggested cycle one meal plan into my diary and it came up at under 1200 calories which isn't enough for most people.

It has been suggested that it is not healthy for active people due to the low amounts of food and the restrictions given.

It promises great losses yes, but it's hard to sustain that lifestyle (however I can't remember what cycle four has in it so it depends).
  • cccrissy
    cccrissy Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I started this diet 3 days ago and I'm 4lbs down! yay! The first 17 days are quite tough, but the second cycle is much easier. My stepsister did the whole thing about 6 months ago, and she's maintaining her weight on the 4th cycle, which is just basically eating healthy wholesome foods. Carbs and all.
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options
    Need or want?

Dr Phil didn't write the plan. Dr Mike Moreno, a physician, did.

If you can see past the word "diet" and actually read the book you'll see that it is exactly what you suggest, a way to change bad eating habits to create a healthy lifestyle change. It promotes eating lean protein, healthy carbs, avoiding refined processed foods in favour of whole foods, and exercising. Pretty good advice really.

The first 17 day block is designed to break the sweet/carb habit before good carbs are slowly reintroduced to the diet.(Diet as in foods habitually eaten by a person).

Vindhi - have a look at www.the17daydiet.com, or Google it. There is plenty of info on the web about it. You can probably find enough not to need to buy the book. There is also a Facebook page with loads of info and recipes etc.

^This. I was actually looking at that book in the store the other day and I was like ... So it's just telling me to eat healthy and exercise? I know that is simplifying the plan but I could never just not eat carbs for almost three weeks. This is just me so if it works for you then kudos.
  • Scarlettdawn764
    Scarlettdawn764 Posts: 856 Member
    Options
    The 17 Day Diet helped me to take off weight that I have been trying to lose for 10 years after having 4 children. I would highly recommend it :bigsmile:
  • BigDfromNJ
    BigDfromNJ Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    First ask yourself why you have to lose 10 pounds in only 4 weeks? How come you didn't need to lose that weight 8 weeks ago? My suggestion to to read "Younger Next Year" (they have both a man's and woman's version. And set a reasonable goal of how much you want to weight 'Next Year". Odds are that you will only regain the 10 lbs you are trying to lose in a hurry, but the pounds you shred over a year will be off for a lifetime!
  • mrsmehdi
    Options
    I wanna do 17 day diet ....can someone please tell me how many servings of fruit can I eat till 2pm....n wat to eat in breakfast ...n lunch n dinner..thank u
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    This thread is 2 years old. !!!! What happens on day 18?
  • JenniDaisy
    JenniDaisy Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    If you are doing a diet like this, you probably have no place on this website.

Just sayin'!