Women with PCOS please help!

Options
I have pcos, and have been unable to lose weight. Judging by the research I did, I found that it's nearly impossible for me to lose weight on my own. I am hesitant to be on meds, but am willing to if it will help me get this weight off. I was wondering what people's experience has been. What worked for you?

Replies

• susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    Cutting soda way down (I was drinking LOADS, 10-12 cans/daily), putting exercise way up. Currently do Aikido about 6x/week.
  • yesthistime
    yesthistime Posts: 2,051 Member
    Options
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    http://theprimalparent.com/2011/07/07/an-unconventional-approach-to-pcos-polycystic-ovarian-syndrome/

Her diet was quite extreme. She can tolerate carbs in very small amounts now.

She responds...

I think it's the grains and the legumes myself. But just an opinion.
  • ncole3
    ncole3 Posts: 164
    Options
    I just started reading Blood Sugar Solution by Dr. Hyman and it has some great advise and actions steps (natural) to take if you have PCOS. Action steps like avoid certain foods and eating more of another food....that kinda stuff.
  • Massagemama020157
    Options
    You have to eat low on the glycemic index for PCOS.
  • galegetsthin
    galegetsthin Posts: 1,352 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS. I was 342 lbs a few years ago. For me....... it is the processed and refined carbs and sweets. I dont even count carbs now. I just try to get them all (at least the great majority) from natural sources. I eat fruit. I am careful about the types of fruit. If it is a really sweet tasting fruit, I eat less. I am now 168 and very close to my goal. I take Metformin, aldactone and BC for mine.
  • elwinberry
    Options
    Just eating right, exercise, drinking water and making sure I eat the exercise calories. Doing what the program ask really. But I also watch my sugars. I try to keep them under 15g for the day. And also carbs- I try to keep those under 120g per day. About 40 a meal. I'm seeing results.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    I have pcos, and have been unable to lose weight. Judging by the research I did, I found that it's nearly impossible for me to lose weight on my own. I am hesitant to be on meds, but am willing to if it will help me get this weight off. I was wondering what people's experience has been. What worked for you?

Controlled carb eating lifestyle. I have been told by numerous GP's, Endocrinologists, Registered Dieticians, etc that because of the Insulin issues that accompany PCOS that is the only way to keep yourself healthy and start getting your weight down.

The other draw back of having PCOS is that in MOST women with PCOS they will more than likely develop Thyroid issues the more you struggle with your weight due to how the hormone imbalance with the female hormones and insulin impacts the rest of the Endocrine system.

The root cause of Diabetes, Thyroid and PCOS is the Pituitary gland because it controls the output of the rest of the hormones that allows for homeostatis.

When one hormone becomes imbalanced, the rest will eventually become imbalanced.
  • privatetime
    privatetime Posts: 118
    Options
    I had PCOS for decades, with only the inovulatory dysfunction, and no other common symptoms. ...Healthy as a horse; 97lbs; in good physical condition; no complaints. I started gaining weight a few years ago, and couldn't lose weight. I eventually learned that Insulin Resistance (IR) was associated with PCOS, and that might be why I started ganng weight, and why I couldn't lose weight.

I did A LOT of research, and learned there are a number of treatments. I opted to try the most innocuous one first: cinnamon.

If you do an Internet search for "insulin resistance", "cinnamon", "PCOS" and that kind of thing, you'll find it is an accepted treatment.

I was skeptical, but I went ahead.

I read that many women found success a 3g/day, so that's what I tried. Keep in mind that for 2 prior months I'd slashed my calories and was killing myself in the gym every day, only to GAIN weight. Literally, FROM THE DAY I started taking cinnamon, I began losing weight. I've been losing weight ever since, and will soon be back to my pre-IR weight.

Cinnamon is believed to improve fasting glucose levels, increasing sensitivity to insulin. Cinnamon does not cause weight loss. You still need a caloric deficit to do that. Cinnamon will have no effect on non-IR folks. I have even read experts go so far as to say cinnamon may not even help those who have IR that isn't associated with PCOS.

I recommend some independent research, so you can understand the process, how the discovery was found, limitations, etc.

Good luck!
  • peachy_keen
    peachy_keen Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    PCOS here too. Only found out what was wrong after I'd stopped working out for a few months and gained 30-40lbs. Much harder to lose, yes, but not impossible. I'm wary of Metformin, but it's only because I'm not a fan of prescription meds. I'm on BC to regulate my menstrual cycle.

I have to agree with others about reducing/eliminating refined carbs, grains and even legumes. For me, they are definitely a trigger, but at the same time, it's damn near impossible to find "convenient" foods that are low in them. I've been reading an ebook called "The Natural Diet Solution for PCOS and Fertility" by Nancy Dunne, ND and Bill Slater. That's not to say that any one book, or article or anything will give you the magic bullet. I read anything I can get my hands on try what's reasonable for me.

Right now, I'm doing my best to focus on whole foods as close to the source from whence they came. I don't really consume dairy (lactose issues) and I make my own peanut butter if I really want it. I'm making small changes and definitely working out at least 3x a week. So far this month I've lost 3lbs and feel that is a HUGE accomplishment. If I can focus myself even more I think that I will be able to manage this condition on my own, without meds. It's hard changing when for so many years, I could eat what I wanted within reason and could lose weight easier.

I'll definitely be checking out other PCOS sisters on here to see what they do too. Everyone's different and each body responds different. But I like that we can all pool our resources and encourage each other. You can do it!! Feel free to friend me if you like.