how do YOU stop yourself from bingeing?

Options

Replies

• emilyc92
    emilyc92 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Yesterday I felt a binge coming on, so I had this idea that I would eat as much salad with apple cider vinegar as I wanted, hoping that would stop me from eating a ton of unhealthy food. So, I bought a massive 2 pound bag of salad, thinking I'd have a good amount left over for side dishes for the next few days. Well I ended up eating the ENTIRE 2 POUND bag of salad in about 20 minutes. It was only 150 calories, but I felt like I was going to die afterwards... My stomach is STILL killing me, and this was over 24 hours ago. Not to mention, I look like I swallowed a bowling ball.

Moral of the story: My idea turned out to be a HORRIBLE idea... :(
  • ojell
    ojell Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    Well, first I had to figure out WHY I was binge eating. Mine is mostly out of boredom or after I've been stressed. Soooo number one thing is I try to keep my mind pre-occupied with other things...whether it be something productive, joyfull or relaxing...it plays a role as a destractor and helps me not focus on my stressors. 2nd thing is I don't keep junk in the house except for something iddy biddy not super bad junk like dark choco pieces or cocoas almonds or something salty so that if I do have a craving that I just can't shake, I will have SOMETHING there so that I'm not tempted to go out shopping because if I do that then I KNOW that I will buy a bunch of worse junk.
  • mjsamee
    mjsamee Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I tend to overeat midlessly ALOT in the evenings when im home alone *sob* so have devised a plan which is working for me. eat my dinner and then save 100 - 150 cals for a nighttime snack which is a total treat. Last night i had Dr Pepper Zero over ice with a cup of red grapes and a 95 calorie Cadbury's chocolate bar. By the time i'd drunk my Dr Pepper and had my grapes i didn't feel like eating the chocolate but it was nice to know it was still there.
    I found it helps me to know that i am getting a treat and that it fits in my calories. Instead of denying myself i am trying to take control of what i eat and my portions. I also try not to keep ice cream/crisps/sweets/bicsuits in the house! eep!
    Hope that helps anyway!

AWESOMENESSS!!! thanks for sharing!!! :smooched:
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    Hi,

Don't see this as an agressive reply please, but you are sabotaging yourself....
    I just went to see what were your meals for today...
    I noticed one BIG problem. You should try to take your calories and spread them along the day.., today for example, you consummed half of your daily goal at lunch.
    PEANUT BUTTER for breakfast? You do have more correct choices, like chiken hamb, light cheese, or there is arround 'cause your mom always have it at home also, like bread???

I know is difficult...when i lived with my parents there were always cookies, bread, less correct choices arround 'cause they like it and my father and sister can eat them with no regreats (lol)
    I had one strategy at time, that were THEIR stuff, so i couldn't eat them, i thought as if i consume some of that stuff, I was stealing...It worked for me!!! Think in all those things as if they are not yours. If they are and your mom doesn't eat them regularly TROW them in the garbage!!

Chocolate Mousse With Caramel Fudge Sauce at lunch? I ate a kiwi as desert... Rather eaten yours, believe me!

I know it's not easy...if it were everybody was skiny lol

Kisses,
    Tatyanne

There is absolutely nothing wrong with peanut butter it is actually one of the best foods you can eat. What are you scared of, the fat? This was a breakfst I was actually told by my nutrition teacher was one of the best.
  • BeautyFromPain
    Options
    As an aside, if you suspect that you are suffering from depression I would recommend you go and have a chat with your doctor. Not only will they be able to help you out by giving you a range of treatment/coping options, but they should be able to help you plan a diet to combat it.

not everyone can afford to do that...
  • ladyfingers39
    Options
    If you binge after 8 pm...go to bed. I had a friend who lost over 150 pounds years ago and she said when she started to feel hungry at night she just went to bed, it was too tempting to stay awake she said. She would read and fall sleep.

How about chewing gum after dinner? Keep your mouth busy :)
  • Heidihomelinda
    Heidihomelinda Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I have those days - especially around PMS week - but knowing that i document EVERYTHING on MFP - helps me to not go too crazy. Everyone here has such great advice, too - go for a walk - drink a big glass of water, etc,
  • Tatyanne
    Tatyanne Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    There is absolutely nothing wrong with peanut butter it is actually one of the best foods you can eat. What are you scared of, the fat? This was a breakfst I was actually told by my nutrition teacher was one of the best.

Honestly, I simply don't like it :)
    And yes, i do think it has to much fat and sugar.
    I only said there are more healtier choices...speacially if you know that you are around less healtier choices during the day...
  • hbm616
    hbm616 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Keep healthy snacks on hand and get rid of the junk!
    On that note, my boyfriend is a chocolate junkie so it is often in the house. He and I will check the calories and break off pieces accordingly.

I also lovelovelove dole/edy's/whole foods frozen fruit bars as a night time snack. They are 80-140 calories depending on the brand and flavor and very satisfying for a sweet tooth.

I'd say my biggest issue is chips, dips and other salty savory things so if I eat them I just weigh and measure out portions based on how many calories I am interested in consuming and put the rest away.

In the evening I'll try and have a cup of herbal tea before snacking so I fill up and also satisfy that need to put something in my mouth.

Hope this helps!
  • lyddsmom
    lyddsmom Posts: 96
    Options
    I find it happens less if I first, allow myself to give in to a craving (in control, of course). Second, if I do have a binge, I don't feel guilty. I just move on. The binges get further and further apart and will slowly disappear from your routine. Guilt is just as bad for you as any other bad destructive habit. It does nothing for you but keep you down. Remember, tomorrow is a new day and you can start over fresh! Keep moving forward and don't look back!
  • crazy4him4552
    Options
    Night binging is my weakness. If I couldn't come up with an effective way of dealing with it I don't know if I could lose weight. Here's my plan:

1. Avoid simple carbs and processed foods.

2. Have high protein foods available. I generally keep skinless chicken breast, tuna salad and/or cooked whitefish in fridge.

3. Reserve calories for post dinner snacking.

4. When hungry drink water first.

5. Substitute decaf coffee or green tea for craved foods. I'll use coffee mate to kill cravings even though not best nutritionally.

6. Have low cal healthy snacks around, i.e. snap peas, celery, carrots, greek yougurt, humus.

7. Get active. If I'm having a bad grazing night, I'll get out and do something to take my mind off food.

8. Exercise to get plenty of calories.

Thanks for this!!! THis will help me. :-) I also try to eat every 3 hours. Something healthy like nuts, or raw veggies and fruit. It try not to totally abstain from snack foods, as this makes me want to eat it more. I just eat them in smaller portions. Like 5 M & M's instead of the whole bag.
    ANd above all else. I pray that the Lord will help me with this.
    God Bless!!
  • dglohnes
    dglohnes Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    During Lent I focus on fasting at every meal. This can be as simple as not salting something that needs it, leaving some food on the plate, to not having dessert. Focus on self control at all of your daily meals and you will learn to control your other urges as you will know that you have control over your desires. You can do this just to lose weight, but if you are doing it with a spiritual reason (conversion of heart) you will find it can really change your life.
  • Tashry
    Tashry Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    For me, if I deprive myself of all the yumminess I want, then I will crack, break down, and binge. So I do allow myself some treats in moderation, when I can fit them into my calories for the day. That does not mean I starve myself all day so I can pig out. It means I may choose to have a big salad at lunch time so that after my dinner of chicken breast and veggies I can indulge in something tasty, like a chocolate bar or pastry. However, my rule is if I eat it, I log it. It must fit into my calories.

I also worked at finding better choice alternatives for the foods I felt I would have the hardest time giving up. Example: I substituted my ice cream for fat free chocolate cherry frozen yogurt.

Also, if I eat throughout the day and keep myself feeling fuller then I binge less. The days where I skip breaskfast and luch due to a hectic work day are the days that I want to hit up fast food joints, convenience stores, etc, on my way home.

And this may seem silly....but I am not a fan of eating in bed. So the nights my hubby is out and I'm home alone, if I want to watch a movie or something I will do it in bed. If I sit on that couch I'm going to be making trips to the kitchen. If instead I snuggle up under the covers, the only thing that will be with me is a glass of water. That may not work for everyone, but the point is to find your triggers. When and where and why do you binge? Now change it up! I told my husband the same thing when he stopped smoking. If you always smoke in the car, start doing it before you get in and after you get out instead. Always smoke after a meal? Wait 10 minutes, do a quick activity, then go smoke. That way when you do stop, it won't be quite as tough because some of the habits are broken.
  • MissFab2012
    MissFab2012 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    :noway: I am going to have to read all the post - because Hun - I can't help you out on this one...
  • echoica
    echoica Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    my first impression: your food diary looks erratic - the key to getting control over your binge eating is to 'normalize' your eating routine as much as possible. this contributes to the psychological reasons you binge but also biological cravings throughout the day as well. to do this you really need to plan out every day in advance and have evenly distributed meals x 3 (eg. 400 cal for breakfast, another 400 for lunch and 400 for dinner for example) as well as reasonable snacks x 2-3 times as day (eg. 100 cals each) Basically, you are trying to eat every couple hours without going over your calories for losing weight. DO NOT try to compensate for binging by eating less the next day. this is just part of the binge-starve cycle and will not help you gain control. trust me!!!

add me if you like. i have suffered from eating disorders for 15 years - with the most recent years being bulimia/binge eating - and I have done both inpatient and outpatient treatment so i really get what you are going through when you say you can't control it :smile:

another exercise i like to recommend that i did in treatment and have seen in numerous books (i have a psych degree too) is to write down a list of all the foods you typically binge on. then take that list and reorder it by the least triggering to the most triggering. right off, do NOT eat anything on that list at least for a few weeks while you gain more control through normalized eating. then when you are feeling more confident add the least triggering. move down the list as you feel comfortable. if you have a set back with a particular item...go back up the list again to where you feel comfortable. recognize that some triggering foods will never be comfortable again.

set your environment up for success. yes, there are places we have no control over (work, school etc) but where you can. don't buy the trouble foods and don't keep them intentionally around you.

one of the most difficult things for me was not recovery but admitting and being open about my problems. you might not have much of a support network but don't hide. that's exactly what the eating disordered mind wants and enables the dysfunctional behaviour to continue.

best of luck to you!!
  • PinkiePie07
    PinkiePie07 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    For me, I log everything I want to eat before it even touches my plate. I found that this is the best deterrent for me. When I see how much is actually going in my body and how hard I'd have to work, already after exercising for the day, to leave enough space for anything else, I stop craving it. If I'm still hungry, then I grab something healthy instead, usually something high in protein to give me the energy and to fill me up.

We all have to be the masters of our own bodies. It's not easy to do, starting out, and it's especially hard during tough times. You have to have the will to go on and do this, even when your world comes crashing down. I recently lost my cousin, but I had to keep telling myself, would he want me to do this to myself? No, he'd want me to be happy that I knew him, had him in my life and most of all he'd want me to take care of myself. I'm sure your friend would want the same.

I've been through therapy sessions before, and I won't offer to be your therapist, but I will be someone to talk to if you need it.
  • RobynDCrossman
    Options
    1. I write. That empties out the mental part of binge eating. That can oftentimes stop the triggers.
    2. I eat a spoon full of peanut butter.

I find that if I indulge I CAN'T stop. What's one more chocolate? What's another bowl of cereal? Because I know personally how my mind and body react. It's always around 9:00 and I start itching to eat something.
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    I go for hot tea with a little cream in it then a high volume low cal snack, like Healthy Pop popcorn (100 cal/bag). I try to eat them slowly. If that doesn't work, something higher in fat, like a handful of almonds. After that, gum :)
  • BeautyFromPain
    Options

Honestly, I simply don't like it :)
    And yes, i do think it has to much fat and sugar.
    I only said there are more healtier choices...speacially if you know that you are around less healtier choices during the day...

Right well fair sure I'm going to be listening to my nutrition teacher over a random on the internet.
  • ilike2moveit
    ilike2moveit Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem. The best way for me to not binge is by not starting since I know that I can't eat just 1 of anything. Once I start~ I eat the whole bag. SO I avoid "trigger" foods. I will still binge occasionally but when I do I just get right back on track with eating appropriate amounts.