Lifestyle Change and Work...

Options
So, I was wondering how everyone handled your lifestyle change with the ppl at work.. what I mean is for example; do you tell them how much you workout or log calories etc?

Here at my work, many ppl claim to "be on diets", as apposed to lifestyle changes. Every once in awhile someone complain how they "lost 1/2lb" in a month but are eating absolute crap. As someone who is still technically overweight, I know me giving them advice may look absurd even though I've already lost 42lbs. Plus, if I talk about my journey then I feel like they will be watching for weight loss and I know that will not be good for me.I'm the kind of person who if ppl's attention is on me about how I look I fall into unhealthy means of losing weight and I've come to far in positive ways to allow that!

So, do you guys share with those at work? Say why you do or don't...

Best of luck to all!!:flowerforyou:

Replies

• mallory3411
    mallory3411 Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    I don't... people at my work like to open their mouths and give their "wisdom" when they know someone is on a diet. Last time I did tell a lady and I bought a Coke Zero and a small chocolate they went on a rant about how I shouldn't be drinking coke or eating chocolate and I won't lose weight that way. Told me the only snacks I should have are rice cakes and celery ... blah blah blah.

No longer do I tell anyone.
  • IveLanded
    IveLanded Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    I've learned to limit my "sharing". If my friends ASK, I will be honest but I generally don't invest a lot in telling them specifics because most people are NOT willing to do what it takes to make serious life changes. And it's frustrating investing that much energy that you feel is helpful and having it be tossed to the side. So I just limit what I say and I don't offer unsolicited advice. I have a couple of friends who did get serious about their weight loss and who go out of their way to ask me for more info......that's the only time I really give advice.
  • NewFitKeri
    NewFitKeri Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    yeah that's why I fear it. A guy here tried telling me he "doesn't eat sodium" which means he'd be dead..lol plus tried educating me on burning cals yet eats chips, McDonald's, pop, etc..:huh:
  • smsinger75
    smsinger75 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I work in a very small office. We are more like family than co-workers. They know that I am working on losing weight. And they know that I have lost 16 lbs. But I haven't told them that I use MFP or give them a daily update. One of my co-workers had bariatric surgery a few years ago and lost about 150lbs. Another co-worker has dropped over 100lbs this past year so far. We all walk together as a group at lunch. So it is more like having a support group than them judging or ridiculing me. We all are working towards being healthier and happier with ourselves.
    Now, the co-workers from the other shops don't know. I made mention of trying to lose weight once and I heard all kinds of crap from several of them. So I just stay to my own shop and ignore the others. Not sure if this helped or not.
  • NewFitKeri
    Options
    Something that DOES suck is 2 guys from my work go to the same gym. One is a muscle head who thinks he is better and won't acknowledge me when he sees me there and the other is a doll, but everytime he sees me at work he asks me IN FRONT OF EVERYONE if I'm going to the gym tonight, and then it goes on and on..but heis a sweetheart so I don't want to be a b****....
  • jenn5686
    jenn5686 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    most people are NOT willing to do what it takes to make serious life changes. And it's frustrating investing that much energy that you feel is helpful and having it be tossed to the side. So I just limit what I say and I don't offer unsolicited advice. I have a couple of friends who did get serious about their weight loss and who go out of their way to ask me for more info

Couldn't agree with you more. Ever since I became serious about changing how I eat and making better choices, my best friend (who is also trying to lose weight) and my boyfriend call me the "diet nazi" LOL I'll admit sometimes I should keep my comments to myself. My friend complains that she is not losing weight and she never eats, blah blah, then when I tell her she should probably eat more because she restricts way too much, she gets all defensive and we start bickering about it. Then there's my bf who thinks he is healthy just because he isn't overweight but eats crappy processed foods 75% of the time and makes fun of the healthy foods I eat. Eh to each his own!
  • NewFitKeri
    Options
    It sucks when you hear someone say "I finally lost 1lb in a month"(when they eat crap and wonder why it's only 1lb) and you wanna scream "I've lost 1-2lbs every week for the last blah blah blah"..but then you know they will look at you and start judging..lol
  • TrueBlueBruin78
    TrueBlueBruin78 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I lead by example. They see me everyday eating the same thing and they know its not just a "diet" its the way i eat and live. So when they come up to me and ask for some advice, im ready to help them out any way that i can.
  • crystalinda
    crystalinda Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I don't really talk about the weightloss part of it with most people, only my work husband (co-worker you share everything with except sex - almost like real marriage, lol).

Along my journey I've become more active and have started challenging myself by running races and I tend to talk about that so the weight loss comes up naturally as part of that. I don't give other people advice and I only ask for it from those I know I want it from (there is a guy in my office who used to train athletes so I know people have heard me talk to him about diet and training).

However, even though I don't talk about it directly, people have begun to get curious, they've want to know how I've done it and such. I've lost 25 lbs slowly over 9 months and it wasn't until recently that people really started to notice. Many haven't even mentioned it. I talk about it when asked but I don't give unsolicited advice or take it for that matter.
  • RLeighP
    RLeighP Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I lost 115 lbs a few years ago, and enough coworkers asked for my "secret" that they finally had me write out my journey and they all made copies of it. I keep trying to tell people, what works for my body won't necessarily work for yours, but they wanted a list. People don't want to hear that it's a simple equation of eating healthy and exercise. That's work!
  • crystalinda
    crystalinda Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    yeah that's why I fear it. A guy here tried telling me he "doesn't eat sodium" which means he'd be dead..lol plus tried educating me on burning cals yet eats chips, McDonald's, pop, etc..:huh:

LOL! people are so silly.

But that's why I limit my fitness talk to those I know I can confide in. There's a lady here who is obese and I see everything she eats so I have a good idea why she's overweight. At lunch one day people were asking me about my training and stuff, a few days later this lady came up and told me I had inspired her to cut out carbs. It made me feel good that I moved her to try to do something but the more she told me about it the more I realized that she didn't quite understand what carbs were (veggies are carbs) and she didn't really ask for help or advice so I kind of just left it at that.