30lbs LOSS OR MORE PEOPLE - Question for you

Options
What were some of the tweaks you had to work out in this journey? For instance, when you weren't getting the results you were looking for did you have to up your calories, lower your carbs, do more strength training, cardio, etc? I'm trying to be more efficient....I don't want this journey to take 40 years, when it could only take 11 days. Please share your journey with me.

Replies

• Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    What were some of the tweaks you had to work out in this journey? For instance, when you weren't getting the results you were looking for did you have to up your calories, lower your carbs, do more strength training, cardio, etc? I'm trying to be more efficient....I don't want this journey to take 40 years, when it could only take 11 days. Please share your journey with me.

The last time I got to my goal (before I ate a load of junk again and put some weight back on), I lost 41lbs. I continually stuck to 1200 calories per day, exercised three times per week (running) and when the weightloss slowed down, I stuck another exercise session in.

Unfortunately, not wishing to burst anybody's theories or bubbles, but I am one of those people that did not used to eat back their exercise calories, but the weight came off every week and I never plateaued - it took me just under six months to lose the 41lbs.

I am doing the same this time around and the same results are occurring.

The only difference for me from last time to this time will be that when I reach my goal this time, I will continue to log my food and drink and exercise into the journal, I will also stick to maintenance calories. I realize I can never go back to eating how I used to even though I said the same last time, this time I have proof for myself that going back to old habits really does not work.
  • spngebobmyhero
    spngebobmyhero Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    I started by just counting calories and I ate a lot of "diet foods." I didn't eat a very clean diet most of the time, but I did watch my calories.

For the past 15-20 lbs I have been eating a gluten free diet in an attempt to make my body feel better and lose weight. This has led to a cleaner diet and eliminating a large amount of the processed foods I used to eat. I also eat under 100g of carbs a day, which seems to come naturally with cutting gluten.

I have also started lifting more and reduced cardio. I still walk, but it usually for pleasure and not very fast. Seems to be working for me :)
  • Kebby83
    Kebby83 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    It didn't take 11 days. More like a couple months and a lot of sweat! :) I cut back on what I was eating and worked out. I want to lose another 20 to be 155.
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    I lost 30 pounds total and am now at my goal weight. I set MFP to aggressively at first with a 2 lb/week loss. I wasn't eating enough at 1200 calories, lost 15 pounds, but then I ended up plateauing for months until I figured it all out (thanks to the message boards here). After upping my calories to a 0.5 lb/week loss, things went along smoothly again for a few months and I was within 2-4 pounds of my goal when the next plateau hit. That lasted for 4 months and nothing would break it. I figured that was it, I was stuck at 147 pounds forever. All of a sudden, with no different approach, those last couple pounds dropped off and I am now maintaining at 145.

I have to say that I am very lucky in the fact that losing weight was all about portion control for me. I have always eaten fairly healthy, I know how to eat a balanced diet, I have always drank lots of water...it was the portion control where I had issues. I still struggle with that one piece which is why I still log!
  • marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    upped my calories, and increased strength training.

sw 303.4 (1/1/11)
    cw 196.4 (down 107lbs)
    gw 160
    29 y/o 5'6''
  • sharleengc
    sharleengc Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    I try to change it around...like now i have my goal set at 1200 calories and I don't exercise regularly...currently I've losing almost 2lbs a week...but I've done 1200 calories plus 400 worth of exercise, i've upped it to 1370...personally, i lose more with less calories...

Because of where I live, I don't have access to a gym and all I have is a treadmill and I get bored running so I don't do it as often as I should...but for me less calories work better and I've reached a place where I can do 1200 without exercising and getting more...
  • NegativeX
    NegativeX Posts: 16
    Options
    I had to start eating more calories to lose the last remaining 10-20 pounds. Eating too little and your body will start holding onto that fat and you'll feel like crap all the time.
  • jennifer52484
    jennifer52484 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    Try to avoid consuming too many carbs a few hours before bedtime.
  • WallyGirl358
    Options
    I try to always keep my body guessing. I never to the same routine 2 days in a row, try to eat +/- 200 each day. I try to mix up what I eat for example if I have chicken at lunch - I'll have beef or fish at dinner. Same with veggies. I eat two different veggies during the day. I also try to change up my fruit. Extra snack would be hard boiled egg or a few nuts. I also rarely eat out or eat processed food. I also cut out most of carbs and if I do eat carbs I eat only what is naturally in fruits or veggies.

Keep the body guessing!

Good luck on your journey. Stick with it and you'll get there.
  • frannyannemum
    Options
    I started at 213lb at the beginning of last year and lost a total of 48lb up until the middle of August. I was watching absolutely everything I ate and exercising vigorously for about an hour a day as well as walking 3 miles per day. At this time, my husband had a cancer scare and we found out that our 3 year old son may have autism, so I abandoned my diet, started eating rubbish and put on 20lb (at the end of last year).

At Christmas cancer scare was negative but we still hadn't found out whether our son had autism. On 4 January, I decided that enough was enough, started eating properly although wasn't exercise as much as I should be. Since the beginning of March, I have been back on the diet full throttle, exercising around 2 hours a day and watching what I eat and have lost 14lb (since the beginning of the year) of the weight I put on. I need to lose at least another 39lb to get to my goal weight, possibly 50lb.
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options
    You want to lose nearly 3 pounds per DAY?

I would say that is very unrealistic and self-defeating. Take off the weight at a reasonable rate and you are much more likely to KEEP it off. I assume that is what you want? 1-2 pounds per week is recommended for many reasons, so 30 pounds would take between 15 and 30 weeks.

Eat enough but not too much, and get plenty of exercise. That's the secret. Everything else is fine-tuning.
  • wcalexander
    Options
    I have lost 70 pounds since January 3rd - roughly a pound per day on the Ideal Protein diet. I highly recommend it as one of the best (un)diets ever!

As the name implies, it is protein-heavy and limited to very few calories, fats, carbs, and sugar. Due to the high protein content, you don't feel hungry and the weight absolutely melts off.

Check it out if you want to be in the best shape of your life in a very short period of time. Not some fad diet but a total lifestyle change.

http://www.idealprotein.com/
  • pwmccall
    pwmccall Posts: 11
    Options
    I don't exercise.
  • marywanoKC
    marywanoKC Posts: 176
    Options
    I think a good portion of my problem was that I wasn't eating enough. I'd go without food from 8 o'clock at night until 1:15 the next day at lunchtime. I work in an office, never ate breakfast, and sat on my butt all day.

I've begun working out religiously. I love going to the gym
    I do cardio AND weights. Women will not bulk up the same as men, and I'm not worried about it. Muscle is better than being fat any day.
    I eat regularly. Breakfast, snack (almonds, breakfast bar, yogurt, something), lunch is always a spinach salad and fruit (low sodium, high in veggies and grilled chicken with light dressing), then I work out, eat a protein bar on my weights days, and then dinner (lways a good cut of lean beef, or chicken with two servings of veggies), with desert after once in a while.
    I do yoga on Wednesday evenings to help with flexibility, and to keep me rejuvenated and motivated. There's no point in taking care of your body, if your mind is going to ****.

I try to live a lower carb lifestyle than before, because I'm insulin resistant. I allow myself potatoes and a small bit of pasta once in a while, but the only time I eat rice now is with sushi, and I've removed white bread and replaced it with whole grain. I don't typically eat pasta any more, and instead pair my delicious Italian pasta sauces with lean meats and veggies. I don't eat nearly as much sugary foods or dairy, and I only miss it once in a while, so I save that for an indulge moment when I'm going really great with diet and exercise. I'm careful not to go overboard since I'm still really new to this.
  • BADGIRLstl
    BADGIRLstl Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Thanks all....keep your responses coming. Its really good to see how you all recognized that you had to make a change somewhere to ger the inches/scale to move.
  • FitRodr
    FitRodr Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I really had to think about this one. Mostly, I think it was portion control. I didn't "see" what I was eating. I truly averaged 1 lb a week. When I hit a wall, I bumped up the exercise & focused on the quality of my food. When I started I could hardly exercise for 5-10 minutes. Now I'm up to 90 minutes on good days. I was sooo limited & as the lbs came off I kept pushing. My hubby says I am like the energizer bunny because I never sit still. My ultimate goal was 155, now I float about 150. I eat more and still exercise 5 days a week.

I thought it was rocket science but it's not... - Eat better, eat less, exercise & water

You didn't put it on overnite, it won't come off that way. Oh, one more thing, I try to net at least 1200 calories.
  • not4dagames
    Options
    i started in November and in 4 months have lost over 60lbs! To be honest i have tried everything like you have and have also dieted better etc. I dont care what everyone else says but the best thing to do: RUN!!!! ...n not an eliptical stair mastr etc.. run the treadmill. I use this app called C25K its a running trainer that teaches you to run distance. and i just ran my 1st half marathon in dc. I promise you. with all the wiehgt lifting etc, doesnt come close to the wieght youll lose from running. I know this 1st hand.

OH AND I NEVER AT AFTER 8pm just wateer. i dont calorie count anymore i just eat half of what i normally did. Basicall kids meal everything. and whith this im averaging about 2-3lbs a DAY.