THAT many calories!

Options
I picked up a cookie from Mark & Spencer at lunch to go with my very healthy lunch just because its Friday. When I went online to their fresh baked calorie list I nearly died when I realised it has 465 cals! I can't believe I didn't check first. In my head I guessed around 180. It feels like such as waste and I feel so guilty for eating it now.

Replies

• britexmom
    britexmom Posts: 145
    Options
    i have found myself being shocked a lot with the calorie amount of foods ...sometimes even seemingly healthy stuff. once in a while wont set you back....i hope it at least was tasty tho :)
  • purpleipod
    purpleipod Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    It's always good to check before you eat. I almost never eat something that I don't have a ballpark idea of what the calories are.
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    I picked up a cookie from Mark & Spencer at lunch to go with my very healthy lunch just because its Friday. When I went online to their fresh baked calorie list I nearly died when I realised it has 465 cals! I can't believe I didn't check first. In my head I guessed around 180. It feels like such as waste and I feel so guilty for eating it now.

Forget any guilt, you didn't realize and if you had known, would you still have eaten it? I suspect not.

Therefore, put it behind you and be happy that you will never get caught out again.

There is always a positve from a negative :flowerforyou:
  • valpreston
    Options
    Being rushed one day, picked out a very plain, sour cream doughnut (one of my previous favorites) to go 'til after a workout. Afterwards, when completing the diary, it was realized could have had a whole egg white breakfast muffin, or a whole wholegrain bagel for the calories in this single doughnut! Lesson learned.
  • MyFeistyEvolution
    MyFeistyEvolution Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    Don't feel guilty. YOu didn't know. One error isn't going to screw everything else up. Drink up some water and move on. :)
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    That sucks! But, lesson learned. Time to put it behind you and move forward.
  • Kebby83
    Kebby83 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Once I bought a wrap for lunch and I read the calories when I bought it. It was quite a bit but I figured I was on my way to work and it was all I would have time to eat. So I ate it and as I was finishing up I was reading the label again.... 2 servings per pack. It was a whole days worth of cals. This was when I just started and didn't know anything about calories. Anyway. It tasted good. I got over it.

I normally add my lunch before I eat it now since I work with the elderly and normally feed them at the same time as I eat, and I eat the same thing for breakfast every day (special K, fat free milk, coffeex2)
  • adelareto
    adelareto Posts: 20
    Options
    In need of an alternative coffee creamer.......I only like the liquid stuff.....have been using coffee mate french vanilla. Even the sugar free one has a lot of calories. Would love any suggestions....
  • adelareto
    adelareto Posts: 20
    Options
    Don't feel guilty......you didn't know!! Thank you for sharing.....I have done the same thing and found out later!!
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    so it's 300 calories more than you thought--sucks but it is truly rather insignificant in the grand scheme of things. just learn from this and move on. sorry it happened, it is a bummer!
  • Jezebel_Barbie
    Jezebel_Barbie Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Same here! I ate a cream scone thing from Morrisons after my lunch this afternoon and when I entered it to my diary found out it was 400-odd calories. Oops! I too felt guilty, but have decided I'm just gonna work out this evening (wasn't planning on originally...) and not buy them next time. It was really nice but not 400 calories nice. Suddenly seems a lot more unappetising now!
  • jennifer52484
    jennifer52484 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    Today someone brought a munch of desserts in for "breakfast". There were these oreo cake balls... I actually took one.. took a bite and spit it out lol.. It is embarrassing to admit that but hell it worked and now i don't want one anymore. ::don't judge:: lol
  • wendywwhite
    wendywwhite Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    In need of an alternative coffee creamer.......I only like the liquid stuff.....have been using coffee mate french vanilla. Even the sugar free one has a lot of calories. Would love any suggestions....

Me too! today I tried vanilla flavored almond mil as an alternative - not as good but definitely much healthier as it is real food and not chemicals.
  • jilliew
    jilliew Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I ate a cookie, today, too! It was 260 cal! Ah! Even though it was super delicious I had to skip both my morning snacks (a banana and yogurt) to make up for it, and I was STARVING by lunch. Won't be doing that again...
  • Cindym82
    Cindym82 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options

Last weekend I ate a burger at red robin.....shoulda checked first because the damn thing was 1200 calories!!!! i felt gross
  • JennR2006
    Options
    Yeah, I learned my lesson too. Went to Subway a few weeks ago and thought, oh the flatbread is probably a low calorie option over the bread. Totally wrong. It had more calories and was less filling. I too got a cookie thinking I was skimping on calories and could indulge and it was high calorie too (oatmeal raisin) so I just folded my cookie up for my daughter later that day! Now I check before I order.
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    Damn cookies....they are so HUGE at most places they're loaded with calories. Max & Erma's are over 300 calories and they're not that big!
  • lambertj
    lambertj Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    They have donuts and giant muffins in my office today, they know I won't eat donuts since I eat "good" now but said "Oh go ahead and have a muffin instead" - sadly I told them the muffin was just as bad as the donut. Sometimes you just don't realize how many calories are in something.
  • JennR2006
    Options
    [/quote]

Me too! today I tried vanilla flavored almond mil as an alternative - not as good but definitely much healthier as it is real food and not chemicals.

My suggestion may not be up your alley - what about the flavored splenda packets? The hazelnut is amazing. And I use fat free milk.
  • Cindym82
    Cindym82 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    did anyone ever see that the fat free blueberry muffin at dunkin is more calories than full fat? that thing is over 400 calories