how do I not lose the motivation to walk...

Options
Maybe I'm just getting bored with it, but I've been exercising for a month and I can see results, but I am physically tired of walking. I walk 30 minutes a day five days a week. Maybe it's just the laziness coming out, I really don't know... Any suggestions

Replies

• Shanta1983
    Shanta1983 Posts: 1,228 Member
    Options
    Oh wow 30 minutes and you tired girl I have walked 8 miles in 2hours and you tired step your game up sweety DONT GIVE UP IM NOT THE ONE TO BABY YOU SO KEEP IT MOVING CHIC
  • aprilann
    aprilann Posts: 238
    Options
    I always run to a favorite TV show. I also have a bunch of great tunes that I listen to during commercials. I also think about how hot I'm going to look when I drop all the weight and that really helps! Try some pilates or a 30 day shred! Good Luck!
  • JessiJean
    JessiJean Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    I find that prayer helps to motivate me. My walks/runs are my meditation time. An MP3 player might help, if you find some uptempo songs.
  • theatregoddess
    Options
    Everyone can get bored with their excersise routine if they don't add something new everynow and then or mix it up a little. Some suggestions:

-Do you have an Mp3 Player/IPod/ etc? If so, try wearing it while walking. That will give your mind something to occupy itself with while you walk.
    -Change the route you're taking. By going somewhere new, you will be less inclined to boredom as you will have new things to see and a new path to work with.
    -Walk with a friend. If you have someone to talk to while you're walking, it will be near impossible to get bored. Everyday brings a new conversation.
    -Try riding a bike instead of walking on some days. A change of pace and body movement should get you more involved and willing to excersise.

Hope these ideas are helpful! Good luck, and don't give up!

~Nicole =]
  • amymeenieminymo
    amymeenieminymo Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    I walk on my lunchbreak too....try maybe taking a day off and only walking 4 days a week....or make up that fifth day on the weekend where you can go for a different scenic route.

I also make sure to have plenty of routes available. I have three different routes that I take, they are all the same difficulty wise, but it changes things up. If I had to walk the exact same way everyday I would grow tired too.

Do you listen to music? I would be lost without my Ipod on my walk. In fact I was today, my battery died so I had no tunes.

Are there any other exercises you like? I re-discovered the joys of bike riding (hadn't done it since I was a kid) last year, so my workouts consist of either walking at home or work, or bike riding after work. It's always nice to have choices.
  • amymeenieminymo
    Options
    Everyone can get bored with their excersise routine if they don't add something new everynow and then or mix it up a little. Some suggestions:

-Do you have an Mp3 Player/IPod/ etc? If so, try wearing it while walking. That will give your mind something to occupy itself with while you walk.
    -Change the route you're taking. By going somewhere new, you will be less inclined to boredom as you will have new things to see and a new path to work with.
    -Walk with a friend. If you have someone to talk to while you're walking, it will be near impossible to get bored. Everyday brings a new conversation.
    -Try riding a bike instead of walking on some days. A change of pace and body movement should get you more involved and willing to excersise.

~Nicole =]

Wow, we said almost the exact same things :laugh:
  • Jovialation
    Jovialation Posts: 7,632 Member
    Options
    Id definitely say music changes everything when walking. Back in my hometown in WI I used to walk clear across that little town and back without really going anywhere along the way because I had so many songs to listen to! Sometimes Id even get weird looks cuz i was half-dancing and mouthing along to my music as I went!
    It wasnt even exercise to me, just a way to pass the time.

Im hoping to get to know my new living space better so I can feel comfortable walking like that again
  • theatregoddess
    Options

~Nicole =]

XD Great minds think alike. Lol, btw I love your display picture.
  • strawberry25shortcake
    Options
    I would suggest a change to your workout regiment. Sometimes we need to switch and shake things up to keep us motivated. For example, I have been doing the P90X since March and got soooo bored with it. Today I started my new workout plan and the excitement came back with it! Good Luck to you!
  • stuartme123
    stuartme123 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Maybe try listening to books on tape while you walk. If you pick something with lots of cliffhangers, it'll be easier to motivate yourself to get going because you've just got to know how it ends. I've never tried it, but it works for my sister.
    just a thought
  • Poison5119
    Poison5119 Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    I download podcasts of progressive house music off of podrunner.com, fitmusic.com, or motiontraxx.com, FREE, that usually helps me push past the 30 minute mark. And definitely time to switch to something new a couple times a week, whether its weight training, or jump on an elliptical, or even an hour of hoops, inline skates can be bought for a song at thrift stores, or fitness videos for a couple bucks - if you have a space you can clear out and use, dance around your house for 40 minutes without stopping - I usually do that on weekends while I'm cooking my meals for the week coming up... Good luck!!
  • Marla64
    Marla64 Posts: 23,120 Member
    Options
    Oh wow 30 minutes and you tired girl I have walked 8 miles in 2hours and you tired step your game up sweety DONT GIVE UP IM NOT THE ONE TO BABY YOU SO KEEP IT MOVING CHIC

I love it-- excellent advice.

Keep it going-- :flowerforyou:
  • Jovialation
    Jovialation Posts: 7,632 Member
    Options
    I download podcasts of progressive house music off of podrunner.com, fitmusic.com, or motiontraxx.com, FREE, that usually helps me push past the 30 minute mark. And definitely time to switch to something new a couple times a week, whether its weight training, or jump on an elliptical, or even an hour of hoops, inline skates can be bought for a song at thrift stores, or fitness videos for a couple bucks - if you have a space you can clear out and use, dance around your house for 40 minutes without stopping - I usually do that on weekends while I'm cooking my meals for the week coming up... Good luck!!
    I like you. I love to dance around while cooking, preparing meals, playing with the cat...heck, Im dancing now! I sit and dance whenever Im online. Sometimes I even type and surf the web while standing and dancing!

All of that is great advice...nothing keeps you moving like a driving bass beat!
  • amymeenieminymo
    Options

~Nicole =]

XD Great minds think alike. Lol, btw I love your display picture.

Thanks, I was dying laughing the first time I saw it so I had to put it up. I feel the same way as the cat about those things.
  • kellygirl5538
    kellygirl5538 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    You might need some different exercises. I just bought a Yoga and Piltes (sp) CD...........not as easy as you would think! I do not use walking as my prime exercise, you need to get that heart rate UP. Good luck you can do it
  • Shanta1983
    Shanta1983 Posts: 1,228 Member
    Options

I love it-- excellent advice.

Keep it going-- :flowerforyou:

Sometimez we need tough love to give us going...I like to be talked to tough sometimez get on me if Im slippin feel me:flowerforyou: