EXPENSIVE food items and sky high GROCERY BILLS.

Options
I spend a TON of money on food...a ton..seriously. Like $600-700 a month for just me. How much do you spend and what are the indulgences that contribute to the high

I admit that it's because I'm a bit of a snob and I like somewhat expensive foods or rather foods that add up price wise... mine are:

1. squashes (winter squash is quite expensive here)
2. mushrooms
3. gluten free chips
4. "special" protein bars
5. NOT farmed salmon
6. high fiber tortillas
7. non-dairy milk

**not giving them up either. What foods will you NOT compromise on and just dole out the extra money for?

Replies

• modernmom70
    modernmom70 Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I spend a good 1000 a month on groceries...eek but that's a family of 4 and would include cleaning supplies!

I will not compromise on:

Organic Milk
    Grass fed beef
    Larabars
    Greek Yogurt
    I am sure there are more....
  • littlemili
    littlemili Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I spend around $800 a month for me plus bf. I am allergic to gluten and dairy, and on a strict high calorie, high protein meal plan which involves a lot of specific and expensive foods such as nuts, soya products, meat, fish etc.

Also we do not have a freezer which means buying frozen goods in bulk is impossible and makes fruit and veg bills stupidly high. That, plus not having a proper local grocery store (only a small overpriced one within walking distance) is a killer.

When you are a student racking up debts, $800 a month is a lot.

Edit: I am dead fussy in that I will absolutely NEVER eat processed or prepackaged meals. I think that actually keeps my food bills down a little.
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options
    I have a part time job to support my FroYo addiction ;-)
  • armaretta
    armaretta Posts: 851 Member
    Options
    1.) Truffle oil
    2.) Organic Milk
    3.) Free range organic eggs
    4.) Greek Yogurt
    5.) Asparagus out of season
  • jdavis193
    jdavis193 Posts: 972 Member
    Options
    I spend about 240-280 a month. but we don't have a lot of room to go up I wish.
  • EbbySoo
    EbbySoo Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I spent about $150 at Costco, another $150 between Safeway and Super store, soooo for the family total =$300 per week.

1. Fresh chicken breast (rarely, way too pricy, I do frozen or try to alternate it with pork tenderloin to save money)
    2. Eggs
    3. Greek yogurt
    4. Cliff Bars
    5. Really deliciously over priced Pink Lady's or Honey Crisps. :O
  • littlemili
    littlemili Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    1.) Truffle oil
    I have limited sympathy ;)
  • wordpainter09
    wordpainter09 Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt!
    Protein bars/mixes
    Produce
    Salmon/meats
    Cage free eggs
    Vitamins
    Soy milk
    Organic/sugar free cereals

Yikes, the last ones are the worst. 5-6 dollars a box.
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    My husband and I eat very well spending 400 a month on groceries. We buy fresh spinach, mushrooms, peppers, onions, whole wheat bread, organic eggs, beef, sausage, chicken, pork, etc.
  • EbbySoo
    EbbySoo Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I spend a TON of money on food...a ton..seriously. Like $600-700 a month for just me. How much do you spend and what are the indulgences that contribute to the high

I admit that it's because I'm a bit of a snob and I like somewhat expensive foods or rather foods that add up price wise... mine are:

1. squashes (winter squash is quite expensive here)
    2. mushrooms
    3. gluten free chips
    4. "special" protein bars
    5. NOT farmed salmon
    6. high fiber tortillas
    7. non-dairy milk

**not giving them up either. What foods will you NOT compromise on and just dole out the extra money for?

Do you have a Costco available to you or someone who can shop for you there? They have really cheap priced high fiber/high quality tortillas, protein bars are cheaper there, mushrooms are SUPER cheap there, at least where I am. There are some things that aren't money savers at Costco like meat, eggs, milk, way more expensive than other stores around here, but these other things really add up there.
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    how could i forget my beloved greek yogurt and spinach. always have spinach on hand.

frozen yogurt expenses would add another 100-200 a month but someone once told me "just bat those pretty little eyes" and you can basically get what you want. lol. (in all seriousness..he just gives it to me for free..what gives?!? i'll take it)
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    ebby--costco is nearby but i sold my car when i left for school (read as: not possible without coordinating with someone else who might be going)
  • pippyrlz23
    pippyrlz23 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I wish I could have that much money to spend on food! For our family of 5 we spend between $225 and $300 a month for food only. We try to do a lot of cooking at home, packing lunches and stuff. I get a Bountiful Basket every week that has pretty much all the fruits and veggies I need and it only cost $15, or you can get an organic basket for $25. I also try to buy in bulk when I can and try to find the items I want on sale. I say if you have the money to spend on the foods you know you can't live without...by all means, do so! Especially if it helps you eat healthier!
  • Cindym82
    Cindym82 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    I spend $300 a month between me and my boyfriend, we shop sales and bulk and I still get all the stuff I want
  • amzasmommy
    amzasmommy Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I spend $700 a month for a family of 6 including toiletries, cleaning, etc. We buy into a CSA as well. Our most expensive areas seem to be meat and dairy.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    I eat really cheap, crappy foods... They're what I like. Yum!
  • Toddrific
    Toddrific Posts: 1,114 Member
    Options
    Muahah my grocery bills are so cheap, like $40-60 bucks a week.

I love my Horizons Chocolate Milk though, and I actually have to go to a specific store just for that.

The protein bars you might want to look into getting online at say Amazon with their subscription service.
  • Sl1ghtly
    Sl1ghtly Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    I avoid things like free range, cruelty free, all natural, no preservatives, gluten free, low carb, low fat, lean, etc etc..
  • misskerouac
    misskerouac Posts: 2,242 Member
    Options
    The few pricey items I wont/cant give up

- Selekta Clear Rice Protein Powder (Dr prescribed, this is the last tub i have to use of this specific one though thank god it's 85$ a tub)
    - Rice Milk
    - Enjoy Life Brand cookies
    - Avocados
    - Lindt Dark Chocolate
    - Gluten Free Bagels
  • FitForLife81
    FitForLife81 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    Yup my family of 4's grocery bill is about 1000 a month. I have a son who is dairy free, gluten free, soy free, nut free etc. He is intolerant to 28 things. I am gluten free as well.

I only buy:
    the dirty dozen organic
    organic milk
    grass fed meat
    nitrate free sandwich meats

have to buy
    greek yogurt
    cottage cheese'
    spinach

I am sure the list goes on =P