MFP woman deadlifting 185lbs...

Options

Replies

• wendyapple
    wendyapple Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    nice! and smart to film yourself for form! i'm inspired :)
  • JennieAL
    JennieAL Posts: 1,726 Member
    Options
    Nice Rae!!! Very inspiring for newbs like me :) You rock!!
  • szyja
    szyja Posts: 42
    Options
    Wow...that is so inspirational! I just started lifting! I can't wait to get to where you are! Keep it up! I have no advice...just wanted you to know that there are others out here cheering you on and totally inspired by you! Cheers to you! :drinker:
  • cbear017
    cbear017 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    I heart you Rae. This is most definitely bad *kitten*.

For your deadlifts, I see the slight rounding of your back and I'd just recommend to drop your butt lower in the starting position (which is hard for us women, right?) and try to bring your shoulders back. When your shoulders stay back and your chest is out it is hard to round the back outward.
  • nutandbutter
    Options
    Nice! I would pull the bar in closer when doing deads and then drop your butt just a little more. It looked like you were reaching forward a little, which may cause some of that rounding. (Of course, I just switched to regular deads from SLDL's last week so I'm far from an expert)
  • nutandbutter
    Options
    How do people hold the bar? I wear size small gloves, I have tiny hands and I can't grip the bar for deadlifts. It makes me feel lopsided because I can squat more than my body weight and can only deadlift about half what I can squat! I can't feel deadlifts in my back at all, it just hurts my hands. I've been trying higher weights lower reps because I can usually do 3-5 before I completely lose my grip, but I'm frustrated with a lack of progress. I have lifting gloves and they help with everything except deadlifts. I thought about getting grips, but it seems like cheating and I would rather just build up the grip strength to do deadlifts without grips.

Suggestions?

Also, sorry for hijacking your thread! It's great to see women lifting heavy! I smile every time a guy doesn't rerack his squat weights and I have to add weight for mine :)

I don't use gloves since they tend to make my hands slip more. If it's grip strength, you could do farmers walk. Are you releasing at the end of the lift and resetting your hands? That helps more than anything. I don't feel like I'm lifting heavy enough (just doing 145 lbs) to warrant straps and I would rather improve my weakest point (grip).
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    Good work girl!

I find that actually looking slightly upward helps a lot to keeping the back straight and kind of imagine someone tying a string to your tailbone pulling it back helps also. (yea, I'm weird)
  • XFitMojoMom
    XFitMojoMom Posts: 3,255 Member
    Options
    firstly - great work on your DL - great numbers!
    My comment would be to keep your chest up and look forward when you are pulling. I noticed your best form was on pull 3, I watched you were leaning back into your heels and your toes came up. Have you thought about a mixed grip? I find I can pull more weight that way (my deadlift is 245)

Same commentary for your back squat - chest up more, maybe by lowering the bar a little on your back so it sits less on your neck. I couldn't see what your knees were doing, but make sure you push those knees outward as drive yourself up, pushing through your heels.

Awesomesauce <fist pump>
  • Taylerr88
    Taylerr88 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    GJ awesome lifts. Not really going to say anything about the deads they looked pretty solid. minus the rounding of the lower back... also i suggest you get some long socks or pants when doing deads.. if your doing them correctly you will start to cut your shins pretty bad... and let me tell you.. takes a while to clean blood off the bar.. and people get kinda of angry..

for squats... first thing i noticed was your head looking at the ground.. i forgot who said to do this? was it ripptoe ? i forget.. but try to stay away from look at the ground.. look up.. keeps the back and chest upright.. when you start to push even heavier weights.. if you are looking at the ground you will fall forward and get pinned under it or have to ditch the bar. body follows the head.. your knees also come way forward.

if you havn't watched this then i strongly suggest you do... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EkF9QD7oCIA

Stay strong!
  • savvystephy
    savvystephy Posts: 4,151 Member
    Options
    How do people hold the bar? I wear size small gloves, I have tiny hands and I can't grip the bar for deadlifts. It makes me feel lopsided because I can squat more than my body weight and can only deadlift about half what I can squat! I can't feel deadlifts in my back at all, it just hurts my hands. I've been trying higher weights lower reps because I can usually do 3-5 before I completely lose my grip, but I'm frustrated with a lack of progress. I have lifting gloves and they help with everything except deadlifts. I thought about getting grips, but it seems like cheating and I would rather just build up the grip strength to do deadlifts without grips.

Suggestions?

Also, sorry for hijacking your thread! It's great to see women lifting heavy! I smile every time a guy doesn't rerack his squat weights and I have to add weight for mine :)

I don't use gloves since they tend to make my hands slip more. If it's grip strength, you could do farmers walk. Are you releasing at the end of the lift and resetting your hands? That helps more than anything. I don't feel like I'm lifting heavy enough (just doing 145 lbs) to warrant straps and I would rather improve my weakest point (grip).

I'd only ever use straps for deads because of grip strength.. and I only use them in the last couple of sets if I can't hold on to the bar because dropping the weight is not acceptable at my gym. Can't wait to find a plays with more olympic lifting style or instruction / equipment. :)
  • CaWaterBug8
    CaWaterBug8 Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    Holy cow you could deadlift me!! haha Great job on your accomplishment! :bigsmile:
  • TrophyWifeSass
    TrophyWifeSass Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    Fantastic work Girl. You rock!:heart::heart: :heart:
  • sweetNsassy2584
    sweetNsassy2584 Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    That is bad *kitten* girl!
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    So utterly badass.

But what a great idea. I drag my husband with me to spot and watch my form (and lift too). But he could hold a camera for me so *I* could see, too. Great idea!
  • ElleOQuent
    ElleOQuent Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    Wow! You're so absolutely amazing.
  • solpwr
    solpwr Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    firstly - great work on your DL - great numbers!
    My comment would be to keep your chest up and look forward when you are pulling. I noticed your best form was on pull 3, I watched you were leaning back into your heels and your toes came up. Have you thought about a mixed grip? I find I can pull more weight that way (my deadlift is 245)

Same commentary for your back squat - chest up more, maybe by lowering the bar a little on your back so it sits less on your neck. I couldn't see what your knees were doing, but make sure you push those knees outward as drive yourself up, pushing through your heels.

Awesomesauce <fist pump>

I agree here Rae. That will force you to lock out your lower back so you roll it less and engage your core even more.
  • shanna0413
    shanna0413 Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    bump! Gona watch on the laptop at home
  • sarahkatara
    sarahkatara Posts: 826 Member
    Options
    can't wait to watch them!
  • Eaglesfanintn
    Eaglesfanintn Posts: 813 Member
    Options

Hmmm...based on this, I'm too upright - I've been keeping my back as vertical as possible when squatting. I think I was afraid of hurting my back, but it also prevents me from squatting as low as I should be going.