Damp hair at work

Options
2»

Replies

• andivaclavicek
    Options
    That is just ridiculous. You're making time in your day to exercise and take care of yourself. And also being courteous and PROFESSIONAL enough to come back to the office squeaky clean. Ignore the stupidity.
  • muwchck
    muwchck Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I think this person is nuts. There is nothing wrong with having damp hair at work, as long as it's still neat. I have really thick hair and often end up at work with damp hair, even if I shower a couple of hours before leaving. I don't blow dry my hair because it would be all poofy. Your supervisor has no problem with it, and as someone else said, you've been doing it long enough that if it were an issue someone would have already said something. Don't worry about it, and keep up the work outs when you have time for them.
  • austepants
    austepants Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I come to work with my hair in a messy bun/ponytail straight out of the shower. And I would say I actually brush my hair maybe 2-3 days a week.
    I have two kids... they are lucky I have time to shower. If they had a problem with that, they can gladly come over to my house and give me some "me" time because I could use it.

LOL this is phenomenal! I am a mother of two kids I know exactly where you are coming from.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    If your sup doesn't have a problem, then it's none of her business.

But I'd want to mess with her and show up with my hair all wrapped up in a towel-turban.
  • loves86
    loves86 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worry about it, we have a gym at my work and I usually always have damp hair when i come back to my desk. No one has ever said anything to me about it (most of them see me walk off to the gym with my gym bag anyway) and I work in a professional environment.
  • sylvuz323
    sylvuz323 Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't trip over it especially if your own supervisor doesn't have a problem with it. I work with physicians and a Adventist institution so they'd much prefer that I keep my tattoos covered oh and no cleavage.

It's not very professional looking, pulling it back into a pony tail might help but really it sounds like your co-worker has issues.
  • palmerig88
    palmerig88 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    She is jealous of you
  • kicklikeaGIRL
    kicklikeaGIRL Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    First, I definitely think that this girl should mind her own business. If your supervisor is ok with it, then so be it.

Second, I am the same way. I sweat A LOT when I workout, no matter what I do. At my last job I worked on my lunch break as well, so I tried some different techniques to help me stay presentable. What I did to help me still look the same as when I arrived at work...was... I took a shower (shower cap on) and I always kept a blow dryer in my gym bag (like a cheap portable one) and blow dried the sweat out of my hair afterwards. It's not necessarily good for your hair to be washing it with shampoo everyday (dry scalp)....which is why I wasn't washing it after my workouts.

Anyways, that's what I do!!
  • ahni77
    ahni77 Posts: 75
    Options
    if your immediate manager is fine with it then tell your co-worker to mind his/her own business. If it's neatly combed then I don't see what their problem is. I work out during my lunch hour ( I SWEAT TONS) and when I DO wash my hair, I pull it back in ponytail than wrap it in a bun.
  • cbmcphillips
    cbmcphillips Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    nothing a little gel and a pony tail won't cure
    by the way, you're too pretty to worry about this - do what's right for you
    especially since your supervisor doesn't have any issues
  • jgondor
    jgondor Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    i also work in a non-profit organization and 95% of the time go to work with my hair damp because i get a workout in before going to work. i don't see anything wrong with it as long as its styled neatly. this girl should be grateful that you're showering after your workout rather than returning to work all sweaty and smelly :wink:
  • mermx
    mermx Posts: 976
    Options
    Why not take the bull by the horns and go speak to the supervisor? Tell them what your co worker has said and ask if there is a problem with you coming in after with damp/neatly combed hair?

Then you don`t have to worry about it???
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,619 Member
    Options
    Unless damp hair results in less work ethic and efficiency, then I'd flip it each and every time I saw the girl.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    Your supervisor doesn't have a problem, I wouldn't worry about it :) Especially as you're not working with the public.

I used to go to work sometimes with slightly damp hair (if I want running late getting ready, the 20 minute walk would be the "blow dry") It'd be slightly damp when I got there but not enough to really notice much, and I didn't work with the public either.