Sick and exercise?????

Options
Is it better to exercise when your sick or better to rest and not exercise?

Replies

• WhittRak
    WhittRak Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    Rest up my dear. Nothing is worth making yourself more sick over :) You can jump back on the horse once you are well.
  • sobriquet84
    sobriquet84 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    personally, getting better and letting my body heal and fight its bug is more important to me than burning a few hundred calories.
  • kicklikeaGIRL
    kicklikeaGIRL Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    It depends for me....if it's just a little cold...most of the time a good run will help me get all of the junk out of my system. If I'm feeling weak and flu-like sickness...and really feeling like I got hit by a truck, then I rest. I can't tell you though...how many times I've been stuffed up with a cold and I'll go for a run or do a workout at home (so I can hack up my crap into the garbage) and afterwards I have a swig of orange juice and I start to feel better.

I think it's different for each person though, and depends on your medical condition and what your immune system is like...and so many other factors, so you can't necessarily go by what just one other person says to do. You have to evaulate your situation and do what feels right.
  • daphnemoon
    daphnemoon Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Impossible to say - it completely depends on the nature of the sickness and the nature of the exercise.
  • elsinora
    elsinora Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    It totally depends! If it's a cold I find it actually helps me sweating it out and does make me feel better. You just got to know your limits, make sure you are well hydrated and don't push yourself too hard.
  • Toddrific
    Toddrific Posts: 1,114 Member
    Options
    Depends on the sick I suppose, and the intensity of exercise.

I've been sick all week. Went to the gym anyways, felt better for a few hours after, felt a lot worse for ..well the next couple of days =/
  • CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options
    I either have some serious allergy problems right now or some head-cold on steroids, I am not exercising. It sucks to sit back and not workout for like a week but sometimes the body needs to focus on getting well, not doing burpees.
  • lkdad_nagy
    lkdad_nagy Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. You know that feeling you get right before you get sick well that’s how I'm feeling. My throat is irritated, my head is throbbing, my ears feel plugged up and my neck and shoulders are achy. No fever and I think I could push through a workout but wasn't sure if that would make me feel worse or better. My kids just got over being sick they had high fevers for about 5 days, coughing, runny noses and with being a stay at home mom and being around them constantly I totally feel like I'm just getting the beginning of it.