Kettlebell Workouts - Opinions

Options
I have always been intrigued by Kettlebells but have no real experience. Are they the 'bee's knees' as far as total body workouts? I like a bit of diversity to my routine or I get bored and quit.

Just thought I'd hear some comments before deciding to purchase or not. Any particular video and/or system you suggest?

Thanks so much for your time and consideration!

Replies

• Grandysl
    Grandysl Posts: 189
    Options
    We used them from time to time in my group workout. I dont know if they are the bees knees, but I like them. I like the fact that with the different exercises you can get a full body workout. If you are going to purchase some, you should consider seeing if a gym nearby offers a class or make sure you follow the instructions on a DVD if you get a set. If you do not handle them properly you can injure yourself relatively easily.

I am considering purchasing a set and I want to get one of the ropes for exercising. There is a lot to do with them and it does strength and endurance at the same time.
  • kealey1318
    kealey1318 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    :smile: Thanks! I did get one of those Ultimate Medicine Ball Cross-Training Systems and it has the rope. I haven't used that part yet though.
  • scl552
    scl552 Posts: 8
    Options
    I love them! I do a kettleball workout with Jillian Michaels that kicks my butt. I love it because it really works out every muscle. You don't always realize your working out some of the muscle you have until the next day. I have seen results with it more so than other workout routines. Good luck!
  • MelHoneyRocks
    Options
    Very quick and noticeable results..that has been my experience. I use them about twice a week and you tone your whole body! I love the Bob Harper Bells...they are ergonomic in design and love his workouts
  • cbirdso
    cbirdso Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I enjoy them as an alternative to other workouts I do, but I don't believe they are for everyone. 1) They are expensive to own. 2) You have to be very certain to learn good technique or you will injure yourself or damage your floor/furniture/someone else.
  • tayachri
    tayachri Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I also do Jillian Michaels kettlebell workout and LOVE it! I do love them and was wondering if anyone had any other kettlebell workout videos they reccomend? Thanks :)
  • poustotah
    poustotah Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    I am a HUGE kettlebell fan. I swing 2-3 times a week. It is a great total body workout. It's great for strengthing, toning, and building muscle endurance. My advice first off would be to have someone show you how to use them properly. Lauren Brooks has a great DVD series and she's very good about showing how to thrust the hips correctly so you don't throw your back out. My other advice is to not try and over achieve and grab a bell that's too heavy. You don't have to start super light but don't grab a 20-lb bell the first time and think you're going to be okay. I started with a 10-lb bell and worked up to a 20-lb. I'm getting ready to graduate to a 25-lb.
  • paulmrice
    paulmrice Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I've just started doing these myself after recommendations from other people who had success with them. I am using the Kettleworx videos which are just under 30 minutes including warm up and cool down... but I am hurting when it's done. The moves are not difficult, but the way they are performed most movements affect several groups of muscles at the same time.

I've done the first week and plan to continue in conjunction with my current running programs.

Good luck to you.
  • Trail_Addict
    Trail_Addict Posts: 1,350 Member
    Options
    Kettlebells make for a fantastic full body workout. I would stick with DVD of more experienced KB trainers, and not just the TV trainer exploiting the latest fad (JM), especially for a workout that go wrong very quickly.

I highly recommend you visit TheArtofStrength dot com, and check out their DVDs.
  • MelHoneyRocks
    Options
    I started with the 7lb bell and moved up to the 10lb bell after a few weeks. I think they are very affordable. I bought my Bob Harper bells from Amazon.
  • kealey1318
    kealey1318 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    This is awesome! I am getting some great info here... Thanks for all your suggestions/advice!
  • 40Marbles
    40Marbles Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Kettlebells make for a fantastic full body workout. I would stick with DVD of more experienced KB trainers, and not just the TV trainer exploiting the latest fad (JM), especially for a workout that go wrong very quickly.

I highly recommend you visit TheArtofStrength dot com, and check out their DVDs.

I agree completely and second the artofstrength! Anthony DiLuglio is fantastic - I've got a couple of his dvds and they are great.
  • jaxCarrie
    jaxCarrie Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I love them...great toning workout...actually my obliques are sore (good sore) right now from my kettlebell workout yesterday! As someone said, you need to be careful with them as to no damage your furniture or self, and make sure your form is good/controlled It's an awesome workout where you can feel/see the results!!
  • karenmi
    karenmi Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I LOVE kettlebells & just got back from the gym having done my 3rd kettlebell routine for the week.

I started with a very basic workout I found on Women's Health, with a 10 lb KB, and have had no issues. There are lots of squats in my routine and after about 8 weeks I notice a huge difference in my legs & butt.

I bought a 10 lb ball for my weekend gym (it's a pretty basic one and they don't have them) and it only cost me $19.99. Very inexpensive if you ask me! But I agree that proper form is very important.
  • zafferFL
    zafferFL Posts: 402
    Options
    I would go to a class where the instructor is certified (IKFF). There's too many fitness instructors throwing these into group classes and potentially hurting their clients because they've watched a youtube video on how to perform the exercises.

The movements can get VERY sophisticated and need fine tuning to avoid injury.