Tired legs!

Options
I started running again after a ten-year break last fall, when I started losing weight. At first, I couldn't even run a quarter of a mile without getting winded...but as the weight came off and I kept running, it became easier and easier and I absolutely love it. The problem I'm running into now, however, is that I can't seem to get my legs caught up with the rest of me. I can run for over an hour without stopping, and I feel great from the waist up...but a couple of miles in my legs start to get so tired. It doesn't seem to matter what shoes I wear, or what terrain I run on. It makes me sad because I feel I could run forever...maybe even start up with some shorter races...if I could get my legs stronger. Any suggestions for what leg strength exercises I could do, or what I need to add to my vitamins or my pre-run stretches or anything? Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Replies

• Eaglesfanintn
    Eaglesfanintn Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    The first question I would ask is, Are you running every day? If so, I would say take some rest days - maybe only run 5 days a week. Also, vary your runs. Sometimes, just go for a 30 minute run. Leave something in the "tank" for tomorrow.

As far as other exercises to do - anything that will build your quads like squats and lunges would be good.

After I ran my 2nd marathon last spring, I felt the same way - just had no giddy up in the legs at all. I really cut back on my running - went from about 120 miles a month down to 70.
  • KahalaGal
    KahalaGal Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    walking lunges
    squats
    wall sits
    hamstring ball curls
    squeeze ball between knees when squat for inner thighs

i was "you" last year and these work
    every other day

plus, I eat more carbs on the morning of my run and ... voila

and the post above is correct - run every other day

a lot of runners need extra sleep

for core do planks and 'superman' back extensions
  • Quickster34
    Quickster34 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Assuming proper nutrition and you give yourself enough rest, running will build your leg strength a great amount, you should be doing some form of strength training like you mentioned though, squats, lunges, deadlifts,step-ups, anything that will strengthen your core, lower back, hams and quads will help, now when you add this to your routine your legs are going to feel it and be dead, thats when you need to train through it until your body adjusts, in the begining of every season i usually can barely walk up stairs for 2 weeks because my legs got lazy in the off season,
    good luck with your training!
  • jj3120
    jj3120 Posts: 358
    Options
    Watching with interest. This is exactly my problem when I run!!
  • rbn_held
    rbn_held Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem. My legs start to ache and get tired way before I get winded
  • kicklikeaGIRL
    kicklikeaGIRL Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    I've increased my endurance and speed by incorporating strength training (with weights) into my weekly workout. I run 4 days a week, and cross train with strength training 2 days a week. My legs feel more powerful. However, it doesn't mean they feel less tired. My legs always feel tired after a long run, because each time I'm pushing myself a little harder and tiring out those muscles. And strength training makes my legs feel tired as well, but it strengthens them in ways that running cannot.

I'm the type of person who is always sore after a workout, probably because I'm a crazy person and I always push myself harder and therefore my muscles are tired, my body is sore, and I'm covered in sweat by the time I'm done. But, if you're not doing any strength training, I would highly recommend it. Maybe take a look at a running plan by Hal Higdon?
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    You'll become accustomed to it and get better.
    For now just take rest days when needed, as your work capacity increases, it will no longer be an issue.
  • willhare
    willhare Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Are you eating enough to have the necessary energy for longer runs? If I run for an hour, that ends up being about 1000 calories for me. If I don't have enough energy stored for that type of run, I'm sure that I'd hit a wall. It sounds like you've got the lung capacity for it, but that doesn't mean your legs have the conditioning for it yet. They'll get there if you continue working at it!

Make sure you're resting enough between longer runs, too.
  • AmyEm3
    AmyEm3 Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    I get that way if I'm not eating enough.

My problem is that when I eat enough to have energy and complete my runs then I don't lose an ounce. I haven't figured out the balance yet since increasing my mileage. I have a lot of abdominal fat and still need to lose at least 10 pounds.
  • shalinimunjal
    shalinimunjal Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    This is enlightening. I have just picked up running and am able to run 45 min (with walking in between on slopes). I was wondering about my legs strength as in the past I've tried to run and absolutely hated it (back in 2007). However, this time I had been doing the 30DS which has tons of squats, lunges, planks moves prior to starting the couch25K program and my endurance is already there. My leg muscles are really defined and calves are so shapely.
    Still doing the 30DS (2nd round) with 8lb weights. It is a wonderful program. Highly recommend!!
  • JaclynnGail
    JaclynnGail Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all of the great replies! Guess it's time to start working in some leg exercises and rest days. I'll keep you posted!