Help! Getting a Gym Mebership & Have Some Questions.

Options
Hey, so I'm planning on getting a gym membership this Monday, but I'm super nervous and have a few questions:
I am currently eating 1250 calories but I live a fairly inactive lifestyle, if I start working out 4-5 times a week (20 mins of cardio, with strength training) how much should I increase my intake?

Any good two month work out plans? I am pear shaped and attending a family members grad at the end of may so I want to look good :)

Pre and post work out snacks? (Low calorie, high protein)

I am really worried that when I start working out, I will not notice any results and being the inpatient person that I am, give up. Any tips on how to stay on track?
How long until I notice results?
How can I prevent getting bored at the gym? (this is usually my biggest down fall, 20 minutes on the elliptical feels like an eternity)

Additional Details:
5'7"-5'8"
CW: 131 lbs
GW: 120

Any input is greatly appreciated.

Replies

• vemaddox
    vemaddox Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    with the calorie intake, when u log ur exercises it subtracts from what ur calories where. what you do with those extra calories is up to you. for example lets say you ate all 1250 calories but burned 200 cals so it would be like you only ate 1050 cals that day. some people will eat those extra 200 cals some people dont. it all will depend on what your body needs.

try different equipment, pick a day to dedicate to each main area (one day arms, one day legs, one day core...something like that)
  • antoniosmooth
    antoniosmooth Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    with the calorie intake, when u log ur exercises it subtracts from what ur calories where. what you do with those extra calories is up to you. for example lets say you ate all 1250 calories but burned 200 cals so it would be like you only ate 1050 cals that day. some people will eat those extra 200 cals some people dont. it all will depend on what your body needs.

try different equipment, pick a day to dedicate to each main area (one day arms, one day legs, one day core...something like that)

Perfect advice!!!

I remember reading a research article in Men's Health last year which said the treadmill is the MOST EFFECTIVE body fat burning machine in the gym. As vemaddox said, to reach your goals not only in time but so you won't become bored you'll need to add some strength training into your workout. The more lean muscle you have the easier it is for your body to metabolize food and burn calories... even when you are at rest.

Don't worry about gaining TONS of muscle with strength training you won't end up looking like a female body builder unless you intend to do so by taking the right supplements and the right workouts.

My other suggestion in order for you to not get bored, especially since you feel 20 minutes on the elliptical feels like an eternity :laugh: , learn how to conduct intervals when you are doing cardio. You'll burn TONS of calories fast in a shorter time frame than running or ellipticaling (is that a word?) for 20 minutes at the same speed throughout the 20 minutes.
  • yarmiah
    yarmiah Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Note: the following is advice and suggestions based solely on personal experience :happy:
    (I work out at my gym everyday over my lunch hour)

Gratz on taking the plunge and joining a gym! I hope your gym experience is as fantastic as mine.

The great thing about gyms is the variety that is offered at most of them. My trainer reccomends cardio
    everyday, and strength training every other day. You could do a different cardio machine each day, or
    even substitute a group class. I would suggest adding 5 minutes each week to your cardio, working up
    to a 45- 60 minute cardio session. As far as boredom goes, I do alot of people watching, tv watching and
    always have my iPod with me. When it comes to strength training, I 2nd the advice of the previous posters
    in focusing on a different area on different days. It's hard to be bored doing strength training as you tend
    to have to pay attention to reps n sets, etc.

I am a believer in the power or protein(again only due to personal experience) when it comes to before/after snacks.
    My lunch is usually split, eating half before, and half after my workout. Or I will have a protein bar, hard boiled egg,
    cottage cheese or greek yogurt within and hour of working out (again, under the advice ot my trainer).

As far as seeing results, 2 "words" of advice :
    -Be Patient! small changes are hard to see daily, but over time others will notice, and you will too!
    -Don't rely solely on the scale! Take measurements too. Pay attention to how your clothes are fitting you.

When I started out at the gym in 2009 and over 180lbs, I went because I knew it was the healthy thing to do,
    then I continued to do it because it became a habit, and now I actually LOOK FORWARD to my burn!

Good Luck!
  • vemaddox
    vemaddox Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    i agree as well about the classes. its a nice change of pace
  • ceh2433
    ceh2433 Posts: 35
    Options
    I recently joined an all female gym that has CLASSES! I recommend Classes, they are fun, you meet people, you can laugh at yourself and it break up the monotony.

I took a dance class last night and i CANNOT DANCE I was cracking up at myself the whole time and then I took yoga with my trainer, she is amazing, i dont have great balance.

I do work out 4-5 times a week. I also am 5'7" but I am 210lbs trying to slim down to 165. I am only about 3 weeks into my journey.
    I don't know if you live in the states but I go to Victory Lady Fitness and I am pretty sure they are a national chain. They are amazing and insprie me.

They also take a starting weight, BMI, measure you everywhere, metabolism and they they suggest how to help you.

I drink protein shakes in the morning, and I have a luna bar 1 hour before going to the gym. It gives me a lot of metabolism.