Extensor tendinitis - (foot pain) Does anyone else have it?

Options
Hey all!

I have Extensor tendinitis and have been suffering with it for about 2 months now... (painful tendons that run down the top side of the foot to the small toes)

* Has anyone else on here had it?
* What have you done to relieve the pain?
* How long did it last for, for you?

I find that it is worse when I walk lots (ie.. for exercise or shopping all day) also when I run I hobble for about 3 days after....

I use an antiflam gel on my calves and feet, and that helps alot, but the pain just comes back when I use my feet again
Best relief I have found so far is sitting down, feet up, which isnt always so easy, because you need your feet to get from A-B!

I love walking for exercise, (with the pram) so its frustrating to be unable to do as much.

I have been cycling and using a rowing machine to keep the pressure off my feet, but I would really like to know how other people have coped with the pain and what they have done.

Cheers

Replies

• Mom0fTwo
    Mom0fTwo Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I am pretty sure that has happened to me before I just rested for 3 days and that seemed to help hasn't happened again yet
  • tuffytuffy1
    tuffytuffy1 Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    You know, I had that same problem for a few months about 4 years ago, and I went to my doctor and got an x-ray. It didn't show anything, but man, it hurt. It just sort of went away on its own. Maybe you need to go to a specialty store and get someone with experience to fit your foot properly with sneakers. Just a thought. I hope it feels better, I hated that pain!
  • Lane1012
    Lane1012 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    seeing a PT right now for a similar issue, although not exactly the same .. bottom line for almost all tendonitis .. Ice and Rest, that's about all you can do unfortunately.
  • starcatcher1975
    starcatcher1975 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I've just started getting a pain like this my right. I hate it. I also have horrible pain on the bottom of my feet, like I actually have to hobble around when I get up to walk. It still hurts once I'm up and moving but those first few steps just about kill me!
  • Tropical_Turtle
    Tropical_Turtle Posts: 2,236 Member
    Options
    I have a smiliar problem but not the same (mine is my achilles tendon) My podiatrist has me doing exercises to strengthen my tendons (you can google excercises or even talk to a podiatrist) I also ice my foot 20 mins on and 20 mins off. I keep my foot elevated while I am at work or at home and unfortunately I can not really do much excercising (dr told me for two more weeks) so walking is all I have.
  • Psychoanalytic
    Options
    Spent years with it due to being in ballet and not giving a crap about my form the last couple of years I was in it. I ended up doing some decent damage, and still would experience pain years after. I'd toss a tight foot/ankle brace on or wrap my foot up and hobble through it. Now, I wear Vibrams the majority of the time. I trained myself to walk differently and haven't had a problem since.
  • sing4me4you
    sing4me4you Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I have a similar tendinitis but in a different area on the top of my foot. I finally (after many months) was able to knock it down by using anti inflammatory twice a day for many weeks. I used two Advil in the AM and two at night and the regular use reduced the inflamation so I only get occasional flare ups. Using the Advil irregularly was not helpful but using it all the time seemed to do the trick.
  • laursey
    laursey Posts: 307
    Options
    I just got a great stretch from my physiotherapist. Stand facing the wall. Hands planted on wall and feet shoulder width apart. Take affected foot, point toes so nuckles of toes are pressing on the floor and even so slightly rotate ankle forward, you will feel a stretch up in the area where shin splints ocur as well as these muscles go to your big toe. Next, do the same thing but let your ankle fall a bit out to the side.
    Sorry, kind of hard to explain.
  • TODJ06
    TODJ06 Posts: 85
    Options
    Thanks everyone!
    I will go to the doctor this week and get some oral antiflamme tablets.
    I am honestly sick of the reoccuring pain.
    Hopefully the tablets work!

:smile: