hi i need some help need to lose 100 pounds

Options
i just tarted dieting and want to gain a strong support group i have 100 pounds to lose. ive never been good at deiting but i'm going to try my hardest to stick with it. i was wondering if anyone had any good diet tips like what kind of food i need to be eatting i started zumba classes yesterday and am on a 5-6 meals a day diet with only 1420 calories a day. i walk my puppy for a hour almost everyday and have a little free time. i would love to get advice and support i'll really need it

Replies

• thesarahsundae
    thesarahsundae Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Welcome!!!
  • yesthistime
    yesthistime Posts: 2,051 Member
    Options
  • Celeigh12
    Celeigh12 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    Welcome to you!
  • lewandt
    lewandt Posts: 566
    Options
    First off, don't think of it as a diet but as becoming healthy. As far as food, eat more natural foods, fruits and vegetables. Shop the outside perimeters of the grocery store, farmers markets, etc. Be willing to try new fruits and vegetables. It will take some tweaking, but eventually you will find the foods you like that work for you.

Know you will have some bad days but don't make it reason to quit, just dust yourself off and start again.

Walking you dog is great, push yourself to do more a little at a time and make exercise a daily activity. It helps to find something you enjoy like rollerblading, tennis, biking, etc.

You can do it and you will start to feel great too!
  • djean2
    djean2 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Welcome!
    I am on day three here and I also have 100 lbs to lose. I don't cook either. The Vitamix machine has been a god-send for me. I used to HAVE to have a drive thru burger or Taco Bell. Now if I don't have at least one smoothie a day I feel awful. They are expensive but now knowing how much it is changing my life, I would make whatever sacrifice needed to save up and buy one.
    That's just me.

What ever you do don't quit. You will have ups and downs and times when you just blow it. Don't quit. Just keep recording your meals and you will get yourself back on track a lot faster than if you start ignoring what you are putting in your mouth.

Good luck to you. We can do this. We are all in the same boat.
  • lulu52880
    Options
    make small goals... concentrate on 5 lbs at a time. It's not as overwhelming. Good Luck!:smile:
  • drkuhl2017
    drkuhl2017 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    First off, don't think of it as a diet but as becoming healthy. As far as food, eat more natural foods, fruits and vegetables. Shop the outside perimeters of the grocery store, farmers markets, etc. Be willing to try new fruits and vegetables. It will take some tweaking, but eventually you will find the foods you like that work for you.

Know you will have some bad days but don't make it reason to quit, just dust yourself off and start again.

Walking you dog is great, push yourself to do more a little at a time and make exercise a daily activity. It helps to find something you enjoy like rollerblading, tennis, biking, etc.

I couldn't agree with this post more! This is not a diet, it's a lifestyle change.

And strength train, it helps amazingly!

Good luck!
  • Rels14
    Rels14 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Welcome! You can do it, and there are a lot of very supportive people on here. A friend of mine has lost over 90 lbs so far by using this consistently and making yourself a priority -- which means making time to eat right and get some physical activity in at least 30 mins...physical activity doesn't have to be all exercise. It can be fun stuff that gets your body. Think of fun activities like biking, skating going to the park, dancing, etc. :) WE are all in this together! :)
  • hbiffle
    hbiffle Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Welcome!!! The one thing that has helped me stick with it (because like you I've never been good at dieting) is I don't consider it a diet. There aren't any foods that I will not allow myself to have. I just track everything and exercise 4-5 times a week. For those days when I'm really craving something sweet, I'll be sure to workout extra hard that day so that I will have enough calories available to enjoy something small. I have noticed thought that I don't crave a lot of the sweets like I used to, and the times when I have eaten them they don't taste as good as I remembered! I'll also ask myself before eating something, "do I really want to use my calories on that" or "do I really want to spend an extra 20 minutes working out just so I can eat that!" Just believe in yourself that you can do it and don't get discouraged!!! Everyone on here is great and really helpful!!
  • mrselanco2268
    mrselanco2268 Posts: 38 Member
    Options

Very helpful suggestions and great advice.:happy:
  • linsey76A
    linsey76A Posts: 102
    Options
    I am sending a request you way :) I am also in the 100 pounds to lose range, with the support of friends we can definately do this! :smile:
  • Rels14
    Rels14 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Definitely about a lifestyle change... a change not for the moment, but a lifetime and permanent change for the better :) Something you can live with for the rest of life without feeling like once you've lost the weight, you can go back to doing what you were doing before. I couldn't agree with you more... LIFESTYLE = a style for life :)
  • esimmons99
    Options
    Something I do and it seem to be working is I use the Smart Phone app and keep up with everything I eat.. It really helps me know where I am and where I can go for that day. Seems to be working for me. Been doing it for about 6 weeks and have been on the 1 to 1 1/2 pound loss each week. I also would like to lose 75 to 80 pounds, have a long way to go, however the road seem to get shorter each day.
    Add me as if you like would love to see how you are doing
  • LittleEdenx
    LittleEdenx Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Hi, I also would like to lose a good 100lbs. To be exact 112lbs is my ideal goal. I have no help and no support so my local nurse introduced me to this site to find others in my situation. I am so disgusted with how I look that it effects my everyday life to such an extent that I barely leave the house. I am 28 years old and I really do NOT want to hit 30 still being this unhappy with life.

Debbiex
  • ekane23
    ekane23 Posts: 4
    Options
    Hi! I haven't joined in any groups yet and I have a very similiar goal. I need to lose more actually. I'm only about 6 weeks in and don't want to preach because I know how hard this has always been for me. It's been extremely daunting and discouraging to look at it from a "I need to diet and exercise together to lose all of this weight." and then not see immediate results because, as an over eater, I'm the type that's looking for that instant gratification which is what food has always been for me. I've lost about 19 pounds in the 6 weeks I've been counting calories it was very hard at first to cut my calories so significantly. I've never taken this approach before. I've tried weight watchers, I've tried excercise programs, I've "watched" what I was eating but never really just broken it down to calories in vs. calories out. It was really hard the first two weeks or so. I felt like a junkie when I'd be driving past fast food places, walking by food aisles at Target, anything. It was an internal battle to stop myself from just eating something bad. Then somewhere it just started to click. I'm adding exercise slowly only to avoid the pressure of too much too soon. Now that i have a good idea about what the calorie content of certain foods are I can plan appropriately. I usually eat the same thing for breakfast because it's been filling and I actually like it. I keep my breakfast and lunch both pretty low because I know my problem is the evening. If I know I'm going out to eat I will try and look up the menu online and then decide what I'm going to order, track it and know what I have left for wine, or snacks during the day etc. If I know I will want to eat more than that, then I excercise to earn some extra calories. I know everyone has their own plans that work for them. This is working for me. I also need help to focus and I'm nervous that I'm just excited that I've seen quick results and it will fade and so will I. But I'm determined to not let that happen this time! It's a very long journey for me, but I've decided to not look at the entire path, but focus more on all of the milestones that I can hit along the way. Good luck!
  • EloiseCanRun
    Options
    Hi!

Good luck on your journey to losing the weight.
    Feel free to add me (:
  • TaraFTMVA
    TaraFTMVA Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Agree with previous posts! I just came back to this site after a 2month break and I am proud to say that thanks to this site and the gradual loss I had while using it, I lost a couple more pounds and maintained! That to me was amazing! So I am back bc I am ready to lose again. This is the most amazing program I have ever used and I will be happy to assist you on your journey! I sent you a request =)
  • sweetmspea
    Options
    Welcome,
    We are your support group everybody on this site is on the same journey you are on, we are all trying to get and stay healthy. Just as someone has already said, "don't look at it as a diet", a diet is quick fast and in a hurry and that is not what you want, you want results that will last a life time, and the way to accomplish that is to lose the weight slowly. I too have 100 lbs or more to lose, so far I have lost 24 lbs and I feel a lot better. My knees do not bother me as much, but I have a ways to go and I'm in it for the long haul. Do not hesitate to ask any of the people that you friended a question because there is a wealth of information out there that can be very helpful. I wish you much success on this journey and feel free to friend me, we can encourage one another.
  • gillespie925
    gillespie925 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Hello...

Well in the same group as you are ... I want to lose 100 lbs to start ... and then take it from there ... I joined a couple of weeks ago ... and my first week went great lost 9 ... then the 2nd week nothing and went up a couple ... now the 3rd week and I'm pretty much back on track ... I have a goal set for my birthday in 2 weeks ... I'm working through a busted knee trying to make it happen ... I told a friend earlier that I'll be disappointed if I don't get there ... but I'm changing that ... as long as I'm heading in the right direction I'll be fine ... I'm determined to make this happen the right way this time ... so it won't come back... times 2 ... like it has before ... so all I can advise is that you set a pace that you can follow ... don't look to the left or the right ... just look ahead ... and you'll make it ... we'll make it together!!!
  • connieparrish
    Options
    thanks everyone for the help and advice. It has truly opened my eyes to being able to do it. I know a 100 pounds is alot to lose but i have to. its more then a want for me. I have to live up to the dreams i have for myself. No one pictures them self fat on there wedding day and im not going to be. Thanks all the encouragement and help i know i can do it. My main problem in the post was i would try to lose weight but on the days i didnt want to i just gave up i know now i cant do that anymore. i never realize how many calories were in the things i ate. Im bad at being a night eater and eating while watching tv. Now i think is being 100 pounds over weight worst that food and i dont want to eat i eat every 2-3 hours and im not as hungry which cuts down alot on how much i ate. Also i started buying per packed food so i dont eat to much. i ordered protein shakes and i love veggies and friuts so i eat those alot too. I would like to find some low calories meals i can make.